TTORA Forum banner

21 - 40 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
3,984 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
What ac shop are you using?
Gainesville Radiator. They're old school which I like. I forgot to mention an o-ring kit and mineral oil were part of that $$
Good call on the weather stripping.

With the dash and stuff removed I've got a good idea for an all aluminum dash, gauges etc that would incorporate the hvac with center ducts only. That will have to wait till the truggy phase tho :D

·
Registered
425 Posts
Thanks I will probably use them too, I'd rather give my money to a old school shop that will do a good job. What are they charging for new lines? If I can replace the whole system and be worrie free ill be happy happy happy. When everyone is sweating this summer wheeling Ted and I will have our windows up freezing. :D

·
Registered
3,984 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
The only one he quoted at the time was the low pressure compressor line It was like $60, which I don't plan on replacing. I plan on replacing the high pressure line and the line from the evap to recvr/dry which will be one piece instead of two.. dunno the cost of those yet. So with all that, I hope Joy and I are nice cool when the time comes!!

I'd hate to know what a full replacement cost would be. I'm DIY, cleaning and piecing together just what needs to at this point.

·
Registered
3,984 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
A little more done. Ended up pulling out the steering column and brake peddles and bracket to clean and paint. There is something wrong with me I guess :rolleyes:

Yikes I missed a spot or two

Having some interior spray can paint mixed to match the blue plastic. Here's my 3 outta 4 chipped vents ... gaaaahhh!!! Dash pad cover ordered <<click

Dash cross bar. Looks like a Star Wars weapon that the Sand People might use LOL. Also replaced the shot parking brake handle assembly with one I'd been saving from Chicken Runner.

·
Registered
3,984 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Finally getting around to using Inferred cooker we got for Christmas. Mmmmmm turkey (not wild but Ben want to try one if and when he kills one)

More cleaning and painting

This guy came out today... he's cold and slow still

·
Registered
425 Posts
Your doing nice work Ted, keep it up. by the time your finished BR is going to be like a 2013 model, don't worry I'm in the same boat with my t4r. I've put enough in this thing I fell like I could have paid for a new Tacoma.

·
Registered
3,984 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Seriously, I was just gonna fix the a/c and it... well, snowballed....

Started on the evap and fan box clean up. Easy to disassemble, a few screws and clips. The evap box has a thin Styrofoam liner in it. I didn't dare remove it, too brittle and thin so I've been carefully cleaning the whole thing.

Here's a pic of the evap outta the box .... naaaaaasty! I can't wait to try this thing out all finished up. I really hope it's such an improvement that it was worth all the time, trouble and money!!!

Peddles done (not be confused with Greg and his Huffy bicycle peddles) :p

Started to mess with the corner rust repair only to conclude that my angle piece doesn't fit as well as it should. Picking up some thinner material and take another shot at it. Paint shop called, has my custom mixed interior paint spray bombs ready. Pickup tomorrow....

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Keep up the good work buddy! You can come to TX and do mine next.

sent from my Galaxy 2 Skyrocket

·
Registered
3,984 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Couldn't wait to get home and try out the paint. It turned out better than expected too. Cleaned it with denatured alcohol first... lots and lots of it!!!

Pic with flash.. way lighter blue than actual

No flash.. closer to actual but a shade darker than fo real.

Couldn't believe how well it matched! I'm pumped! It's not perfect, the plastic is old, a few small cracks here and there. The kick panels are prolly the worst. They had that "dead scale" on them so it's not real pretty. Can't wait for the dash cover to come in and get this thing back together!!!

Picked up some 22ga sheet metal to remake the corner replacement pieces.

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
WOW! Now this is an example of major industrious intestinal fortitude right here folks! Hats off to ya Ted!

·
Registered
3,984 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
I dunno Ed, I think I'm over my head a little... :)

Brown man stopped by to give me a little motivation!!

Dash top cover... uuuuber nice, can't wait to get it in (cause that means the project will be done!)

Electronic goodies... :D

Thought this pop rivet gun was cool. Swivel head ... which will be a big help under the dash

12VoltGuy sent me a lower wattage Elocker light bulb.. for free!

Roughed out the corner piece ... sheesh sheet metal work it tough!

What the heck does this do? :confused: Goes in the fan box

Most the plastic painted

I've cleaned this durn evaporator all I'm gonna clean!! It's still not bright silver like I expected but if I spray any more aerosol we won't have an OZone left!!! :eek:

4Runner mirror/dome combo... took a little ghetto riggin' to fit.

·
Registered
67 Posts
"What the heck does this do? Goes in the fan box"

It's a wire wound resistor. It's for speed control of the blower fan. It's in the air stream to keep it cool. There should be 3 circuits, 1 for each reduced speed.

·
Registered
3,984 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Aaaahhh... you berry smoght ewectrica man! lol Thanks! I'da never figured that out.

·
Premium Member
4,185 Posts
hey i knew that! had to replace mine when the fan would only work on 'high' .. great job so far ted!

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
For that evaporator, you can get some Eagle One Aluminum Wheel Cleaner, spray it on, leave it for 30 seconds, spray it off, and it should about look new. Some scrubbing will make it look even better

·
Registered
3,984 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Jake, thanks for the info. I tried the local brand alloy wheel stuff to no avail ... in fact I think it got darker ... anyway, it's super clean just not bright silver. It is what it is. If I don't get this thing back together soon I'll forget where everything goes!!!!

·
Premium Member
4,185 Posts
Hey ted, looking at some parts for my a/c ... i know i need a new compressor (maybe just a clutch, but might as well replace the whole things) and with it requres replacing the drier and expansion valve ... i know where the drier goes, but where is the expansion valve?

trying to judge what all i will have to take apart to get this stuff in.

thx!

where did you get your parts? i can't find a part store compressor that has the right pully on it (v belt, not serp.) - rock auto has all three for $270+tax/shipping ... i can get them on amazon next day for $290 no tax/shipping and the amazing amazon warranty/return, etc

·
Premium Member
4,185 Posts
yeah, i saw that one on yota tech .. i will look in the fsm when i get home -

i bit the bullet and ordered parts .. we'll see what happens. I'm sure this is going to be an expensive venture.

i wonder if i can find anywhere up here in chatt that will have R12 instead of 134a?

·
Registered
8,499 Posts
I dunno Ed, I think I'm over my head a little... :)

Brown man stopped by to give me a little motivation!!

Dash top cover... uuuuber nice, can't wait to get it in (cause that means the project will be done!)

Electronic goodies... :D
West Coast Customs in da house!

21 - 40 of 70 Posts