TTORA Forum banner

41 - 60 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
yeah, i saw that one on yota tech .. i will look in the fsm when i get home -

i bit the bullet and ordered parts .. we'll see what happens. I'm sure this is going to be an expensive venture.

i wonder if i can find anywhere up here in chatt that will have R12 instead of 134a?
got that from a fsm

i pretty sure we have r12 at oreillys

·
Registered
67 Posts
Electronic goodies... :D

See your electronics and raise you a winch

·
Registered
3,984 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
See your electronics and raise you a winch
Ha! Pics or it never happened!!! ...and don't make me melt my credit card!!! LOL!!!

West Coast Customs in da house!
lol

i bit the bullet and ordered parts .. we'll see what happens. I'm sure this is going to be an expensive venture.

i wonder if i can find anywhere up here in chatt that will have R12 instead of 134a?
Yaayah! You've gotta look in the shady alleys and back streets to find em' but they're out there.

Hey ted, looking at some parts for my a/c ... i know i need a new compressor (maybe just a clutch, but might as well replace the whole things) and with it requres replacing the drier and expansion valve ... i know where the drier goes, but where is the expansion valve?

trying to judge what all i will have to take apart to get this stuff in.

thx!

where did you get your parts? i can't find a part store compressor that has the right pully on it (v belt, not serp.) - rock auto has all three for $270+tax/shipping ... i can get them on amazon next day for $290 no tax/shipping and the amazing amazon warranty/return, etc
The expansion valve is the "elbow" at the lower right corner in this pic. See the two hex fittings? Take those loose (there is an o-ring in there so you'll need an o-ring kit and a dab of mineral oil for the rings - according my a/c guy anyway). See the small copper line going to the black insulation with the little tyewrap thingy on it. That's the "thermocouple" (that's what I'm going to call it) which has a small metal c-band holding it to the tube. I'll take more pics when I put it back together. Oh.. and lots and lots of brake cleaner. Wash out the hoses, evap best you can. I dunno about the condenser tho, that might be too hard to get all the cleaner out of.

So yeah, take the evap out and clean it up good. I'd be willing to bet that's where most of your efficiency is being lost (dirt etc) But don't trust me!!! Just look at the mess I'm in!!!! AAAAAHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!

I got my compressor here http://www.discountacparts.com/ a couple of years ago. I can't remember what the deal was with the clutch and pulley tho... but it came with it so...

·
Premium Member
4,185 Posts
so it is buried up under the dash ... not looking forward to taking all that out again

·
Registered
3,984 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
so it is buried up under the dash ... not looking forward to taking all that out again
Yeah, but if your going to have the freon system open it's best to do it now. The box comes out pretty easy actually (don't ask me if it goes in easy!!! Cause I don't know yet! :p)

·
Registered
67 Posts
Ha! Pics or it never happened!!! ...and don't make me melt my credit card!!! LOL!!!
There was a Pic, don't know what happened :eek:

[/URL][/IMG]

·
Registered
425 Posts
The box comes out easy and goes in easy. Remove glove box, remove Metal bar the glove box mounts to, remove the screws holding the air box in and it pulls right out.

·
Registered
3,984 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
Evaperator Install

New expansion valve

Clean the area where the o-rings sit. Had several that were very chalky corroded. Oil them up with mineral oil and install

Here's the o-ring kit and number...

Expansion valve "thermocouple" I guess it is anyway... :confused:

Here is the clip that holds it onto the de-tent in the tube.

Lowe's 1/2" pipe insulation.. the soft, foamy stuff

All ready to go back in it's box

Nice cleany weany box.. the foam liner was delicate so I left it in there

Took a few iterations of insulation discombolulation to get the box closed up.

Ready to back into BR!!!

Here's the hole it goes into. I like the design, it just goes straight into the void between the heater core and fan box. 6 or 8 screws... easy shmeezy.

·
Registered
3,984 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
Cowl Rust Repair

Worked on BR ALL DAY !! I'm tired so I'll let the pics do the talking...

·
Registered
3,984 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
Half Way There.. maybe more

Wish I had budget to replace the windshield.. it's needs to go.. and now would be a good time to do it.. but will have to wait :eek:

Gotta replace these two guys

What I used for seam sealer (forgot to post in cowl repair post)

After further inspection of the hvac control I find the cable clip port is broken and won't hold the clip which means it won't hold the cable, which means I have to replace the whole housing. Dang good thing I had a spare!!! fUzZy pIc

What it's supposed to look like...

Installed a 6 fuse, fuse block to run accessories and my dome/clock that I screwed up. Still have to power it...

Fit perfect behind the kick panel

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
New expansion valve

Clean the area where the o-rings sit. Had several that were very chalky corroded. Oil them up with mineral oil and install

Here's the o-ring kit and number...

Expansion valve "thermocouple" I guess it is anyway... :confused:

Here is the clip that holds it onto the de-tent in the tube.

Lowe's 1/2" pipe insulation.. the soft, foamy stuff

All ready to go back in it's box

Nice cleany weany box.. the foam liner was delicate so I left it in there

Took a few iterations of insulation discombolulation to get the box closed up.

Ready to back into BR!!!

Here's the hole it goes into. I like the design, it just goes straight into the void between the heater core and fan box. 6 or 8 screws... easy shmeezy.

Gez that thing look brand new! You are really doing some great work! BR is going to be show room ready by the time you are done! Keep it up!!!:D

·
Registered
3,984 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
Gez that thing look brand new! You are really doing some great work! BR is going to be show room ready by the time you are done! Keep it up!!!:D
Thanks ... it's not show room, just cleaner than it has been for a while

Okay, who knows where this plug goes? Cause I don't!!!! :mad:
The two smaller plugs are the dimmer and cargo light switch. I can't for the life of me find the mate to this connector. Maybe it didn't have one??? Closest thing I could find in the FSM was defroster ... yeah right, like BR has electric defrost lol.

·
Registered
3,598 Posts
Looks great Ted.

I here you on the snow ball thing....i mean you start out wanting a wider front axle which leads to getting two new axles, a front link setup with 16" coilovers, full hydro steering, and a bunch of other expensive crap....yeah my snow ball was more like an avalanche

·
Registered
1,758 Posts

The two smaller plugs are the dimmer and cargo light switch. I can't for the life of me find the mate to this connector. Maybe it didn't have one??? Closest thing I could find in the FSM was defroster ... yeah right, like BR has electric defrost lol.

Maybe that harness was used in both the trucks and 4runners. The 4runners have an electric defrost on the rear window.:dunno:

·
Registered
76 Posts

dont know all three but I believe the blue goes to the clock and the smaller one goes to the cig lighter. Likin' the AC cleanup, looks good

·
Premium Member
4,185 Posts
The big one does look like the radio plug.. Not sure tho, i have a spare i will try to find and check....

·
Registered
2,612 Posts
Any shop can put R12 back in. with R12 you need a license to have it now. Also you need to have the whole system vacuumed down before you charge any AC system R12 or 134A.

·
Registered
3,984 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
Well, after taking the dash apart (cause I was paranoid that I'd missed a plug in some where) it's all okay. I had my electrical engineer consultant drop by and we verified, using the FSM, that it was indeed a spare plug (rear defogger) best we can tell anyway. I'll know soon enough when I beep the horn the lights flash!!! :eek:

...so on to fitting these radios... pics later.

·
Registered
3,984 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
Slowly getting the radios fit to the dash
Tedious and a royal pain in the back, literally.

Side view ... hope it works out like I want. I had to cut the locator pins that center the radio to the opening to make a little more room (up) for the cb. I'm afraid it's gonna make the bezel look bad ... we'll see :confused:

Had to notch the vertical support for the cb enclosure...

Gonna make the radio brackets pull double duty...

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

41 - 60 of 70 Posts