TTORA Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's the story: 2 years ago I bought a Leer shell with factory installed Yakima rails. The factory didn't seal the mounting holes correctly so it leaked and the water eventually caused the shell to separate. Leer gave me a brand new shell but once again didn't seal the holes properly. The dealer told me that once it gets wet inside the damage is already done. He's giving me the option of either a brand new shell (again) or refunding my money. To be fair, Leer's customer service has been excellent and if you want a straight shell (ie no roof rack) I would highly recommend them. I do, however, think I'm done giving them chances to get the rails right.

So now I'm leaning towards either a Snug Top or Can-Back. Given my roof rack needs, I really like the Snug Tops (as opposed to other fiberglass shells) because of their 300 lb carrying capacity. They even have an option to increase the capacity to 500 lbs. But how do they hold up off road? have any of you ever cracked a Snug Top while wheeling and if so, how did you do it and did Snug Top replace the shell?

As for the Can-Backs, I really like the looks and functionality of the Can-Backs but security is a concern. I need to be able to leave a bed full of camping equipment unattended down in Baja while I shop for beers and tacos...maybe even overnight. Have any of you come up with a reasonably simple and effective way for dealing with this? And yes I realize all someone has to do on a hard shell is break a window but it's still more secure than the soft shell.

Any other thoughts or comments would also be welcome.

Thanks!

·
Long lost Taco Owner
820 Posts
Herradura said:
Here's the story: 2 years ago I bought a Leer shell with factory installed Yakima rails. The factory didn't seal the mounting holes correctly so it leaked and the water eventually caused the shell to separate. Leer gave me a brand new shell but once again didn't seal the holes properly. The dealer told me that once it gets wet inside the damage is already done. He's giving me the option of either a brand new shell (again) or refunding my money. To be fair, Leer's customer service has been excellent and if you want a straight shell (ie no roof rack) I would highly recommend them. I do, however, think I'm done giving them chances to get the rails right.

So now I'm leaning towards either a Snug Top or Can-Back. Given my roof rack needs, I really like the Snug Tops (as opposed to other fiberglass shells) because of their 300 lb carrying capacity. They even have an option to increase the capacity to 500 lbs. But how do they hold up off road? have any of you ever cracked a Snug Top while wheeling and if so, how did you do it and did Snug Top replace the shell?

As for the Can-Backs, I really like the looks and functionality of the Can-Backs but security is a concern. I need to be able to leave a bed full of camping equipment unattended down in Baja while I shop for beers and tacos...maybe even overnight. Have any of you come up with a reasonably simple and effective way for dealing with this? And yes I realize all someone has to do on a hard shell is break a window but it's still more secure than the soft shell.

Thanks!
The other thing is the the can-back needs to be replaced after so many years. If you lock the can-back in any way, all it takes is a knife to get in.

·
Reppin the Flips on TTORA
796 Posts
ptrautne said:
The other thing is the the can-back needs to be replaced after so many years. If you lock the can-back in any way, all it takes is a knife to get in.
Good luck with getting a replacement, as far as that goes. I've been trying to get Can-Back to reply to my requests for a new top only. They don't seem to be interested, and I must buy a whole new Can-Back system, incl. the framework :mad: . I've had my Can-Back for 6 years.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
FlipSideUp said:
Good luck with getting a replacement, as far as that goes. I've been trying to get Can-Back to reply to my requests for a new top only. They don't seem to be interested, and I must buy a whole new Can-Back system, incl. the framework :mad: . I've had my Can-Back for 6 years.
Yes, their customer service makes me a bit nervous. I've placed 3 calls to them in the last couple of days and all it does is ring. No voice mail, no recorded message, nothing. I read about your ordeal (at least I think it was your post) on the old forum. I'm assuming they're a small company and I'm all for giving a small company my business but I want to know they're going to be there if I have problems. Does anyone know about the stability of the company? They've got a message on their home page that says, "Yes we're still in business..." Who says something like that unless there have been problems?

·
Registered
598 Posts
Herradura said:
Yes, their customer service makes me a bit nervous. I've placed 3 calls to them in the last couple of days and all it does is ring. No voice mail, no recorded message, nothing. I read about your ordeal (at least I think it was your post) on the old forum. I'm assuming they're a small company and I'm all for giving a small company my business but I want to know they're going to be there if I have problems. Does anyone know about the stability of the company? They've got a message on their home page that says, "Yes we're still in business..." Who says something like that unless there have been problems?
Seriously, Canback has been backordered forever. The product is cool but who wants to deal with that shit? They take orders from people and don't contact them for months some times. Obviously, a poorly run business.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Here my Snug top input: I put a SnugTop cab-hi shell on my truck within a day or two of buying it. I had Yakima rails added a few months later. Never had any trouble with the rails.

I really like the lock on the Snug Top. It's recessed and dosen't give the bad guys a good hand-hold to pull on when the shell is locked. Plus you can lock it from the inside when sleeping inside. The lock had to be replaced this year. I took the old lock apart and dust builds up inside, so that may be an issue. I just bought a new lock. I think it was about $20 installed.

This year I'm starting to find some small amounts of rain gettting inside my shell, it's the bed-to-shell seal. It's not enought water to be an issue, but I think the seal may need to be serviced in some way. I plan to stop by the shell shop to see what can be done.

Here is a little history about how I use my truck, this may help you compair your useage better. My truck is a 2001, everything is about 3 1/2 years old. I average about 2 off-highway trips per month. I don't carry alot of weight in my roof rack, always less than 100 lbs. I mainly drive dusty, sandy desert back roads. I'm a backcountry explorer, NOT a 4-wheeler.

I have not seen one in person, but on Snug Top's web site there is a Snug Top roof rack. Maybe thats worth looking at.

Hope this info helps.

·
always a Toyota lover at heart
1,114 Posts
Go CanBack!!!!!!
That is my first choice as well
The frame of it wil def hold up a rack system with no leaks, hopefully!
I like the idea of rolling up the sides for added visibilty as well, when not carring cargo

·
Old Timer
266 Posts
Herradura said:

Thanks!
My snug top has been good. I've had it for about 1 1/2 yes I bought it used it was a couple of years old when I got it :)

·
609 Posts
Herradura said:
To make a long story short... I have the Can-Back
1.Yes they are swamped so the wiat will be a bit.
2.Bullshit to the poster who said they wouldn't replace just the fabric- I just did that with a surrey top for summer use only since I roll the sides all summer for the dog. They gave me no problems besides the lead time (4 weeks).
3.Security-Get a tool chest-not the over rail type for tools. The next option is to check out backpackers security nets-for those that travel Europe there are stainless "nets" that fit a full sized internal frame pack that will lock top a street pole and secure everything inside the net. They are about $40 and can hold a good sized duffel bag or two. You can lock these nets to the foot loops in the bed corners.
4. My Can-Back is more weather tight than my old leer topper and has greater capacity.
As for over all wear and tear mine looks just as it did the day I got it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
About this Discussion
9 Replies
9 Participants
wisctaco04
TTORA Forum
TTORA forum is the best Toyota off-road club around. We are nation wide with chapters in most states. Come in and discuss Tacoma, 4Runner, Highlander, & TRD models.
Full Forum Listing