TTORA Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to get my 3.4 rebuild. I was wondering if any one had a recommendation for a Good shop.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Brian2Sun lives in Arrowhead and just had his engine rebuilt. I think he was happy with the job.

·
Registered
534 Posts
No he wasn't. LOL
That was the worst motor rebuild ever. in 6 months after he has had 3-4 major oil leaks. Oil pan 2 rear mains ect, a missfire started to randomly happen again, But Brian is lucky and threatened that mechanic with a lawsuit and got $1500 back, So he paid about $700 and got a new motor with a few problems but he is still better off than when he first took it in with a horrible missfire and cracked heads.

·
Registered
506 Posts
That was the worst motor rebuild ever. in 6 months after he has had 3-4 major oil leaks. Oil pan 2 rear mains ect, a missfire started to randomly happen again, But Brian is lucky and threatened that mechanic with a lawsuit and got $1500 back, So he paid about $700 and got a new motor with a few problems but he is still better off than when he first took it in with a horrible missfire and cracked heads.
I knew the job took longer than promised but did not know of the other problems. Ok scratch that referral.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Yeah, it all ended up great for me in the end. The POS motor in it right now is actually doing ok. This miss seems to have gone away. I changed out the wire to that cyl and it hasn't happened in months now. And the rear main seems to have sealed itself back up too. It'll probably start leaking again though and if/when it does or something else goes wrong, the donor is waiting to go in.

The donor has ~127K on it and it runs good. I got all the sensors, PS pump, alt, and everything with it too. I'll be keeping my current motor for parts after the swap, or I might even rebuild it again and sell it. Only this time I'll do it myself in my spare time. I just need to get a new DD so I can do the engine swap. I've been looking to buy a good 4 cyl. Taco for ~$5-6K for months now and they go so damn quick I haven't been able to swoop one up yet.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
About this Discussion
6 Replies
6 Participants
brian2sun
TTORA Forum
TTORA forum is the best Toyota off-road club around. We are nation wide with chapters in most states. Come in and discuss Tacoma, 4Runner, Highlander, & TRD models.
Full Forum Listing