TTORA Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm on my 3rd Tacoma. The latest incarnation is an '04 Doublecab Prerunner TRD with some low miles. I've also been through a 2.7L X-Cab and an older 3.4L. In any case, if I've learned anything, it's that I just don't take my truck offroad much. It might see the occasional dirt road, but certainly nothing the stock suspension couldn't eat up. I do, however, love the look of a tastefully lifted truck on some meaty rubber (and who doesnt).

How else are you going to fill up the back window of somebody doing 50mph in the hammer lane with Toyota-grill, after all, if you don't lift it?

Now if cost were no concern, I'd go the DR/Total Chaos route up front and a Deaver pack in the back, but I'm not made of money and the motorcycle needs some new tires for spring!

I've heard that the spacer lift options like the Toytec will make the ride of the truck harsh and eventually lead to suspension sagging. Is this true for suspension that really isn't worked much beyond average street use (and hopping the occasional parking lot curb)? How rough is the ride going to get, say, on the freeway?

I'm just looking at the modest 2.5-3" solutions, enough to clear something like 285/75/16s. Really that harsh on the street?

Also, random other questions:

I've heard the Prerunners will typically get more lift out of a lift kit than a comparable 4x4 model (presumably from less weight?) How much more? It might sway my decision to do with a 2.5" kit over a 3".

and

How much speedometer skew would occur from running 285/75/16s over the stock wheels, if any? Note this is an '04 with ABS and the funky drive by wire throttle -- I've heard the speedometer reading is taken from the axle spin and not the wheel spin. Worth it to re-gear with the modest increase?

and the all important:

Black wheels or polished Wheeler's steelies on a shiny maroon truck? :)

Thanks!

·
Registered
947 Posts
Even on the road, if its rough even a little, you will notice it. I do not like them whatsoever. If I were doing what you are, I would do the AAL in the rear and OME springs in the front. It is not that much more expensive, and I think you will like it a lot more. Thats just me. Some do not mind the ride from spacers, I do not like it at all. Its like there is no suspension in the front. Every little bump rattles your teeth. Feels like shit is going to break. Again, that is my feeling. They were big several years ago, and I tried them. I also rode in many trucks that had them. They were cheap, gave you lift, easy to install, but you paid for it in the ride.

With the double cab, even non-4WD, your not going to get as much lift. I would check the charts. I know OME has a list, and I think the spacer lift does as well for all trucks/motors/etc.

Not positive on the speedo, but not that much difference

Black wheels would look nice on it. I had some black AM wheels on my 01 maroon truck. I also had the alloy MT Classic II's. I liked the black better.

I think these are the ones your talking about. I am getting some after I get my armor/lift/tires. Black lugs, no center caps, just pait the hub black..

http://www.wheelersoffroad.com/tacomablackalloys.htm

·
Banned
722 Posts
OME's up front
AAL in the rear
Black Rims

Speedo off but dunno how much but you can change the speedo gear. Find Hytenor's post.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies. OME's sound like they're well received. Might grab the 3" OME/AAL kit from Toytec and add some rear shocks, and pay a shop to re-assemble the struts since I don't have a spring compessor laying around, or a good clamp at the moment.

Thanks for the advice!

I've been digging through Cardomain (ugh) looking for some DoubleCab tacomas with 3" lifts and 285/75/16 setups, I think that's about what I'm looking for!

·
Registered
947 Posts
You might check around some other sponsors to figure out who has the best price. I like to run the OME shock too. They are some high quality units. Jacque or Shannon I know can get you these. Dallas and Houston Sponsor Toyota parts departments.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
jhunter said:
You might check around some other sponsors to figure out who has the best price. I like to run the OME shock too. They are some high quality units. Jacque or Shannon I know can get you these. Dallas and Houston Sponsor Toyota parts departments.
Excellent, I'll fish around some there.

·
Registered
947 Posts
www.ToyotaOffroadParts.com Ask for Shannon (or Tacozilla, or punk ass)

And trdparts4u.com -- Ask for Jacque (like Jock)

both cool guys that should shoot you a good price. Tell them your a member at TTORA. Neither one will get frustrated with your questions/concerns

·
Registered
587 Posts
jhunter said:
www.ToyotaOffroadParts.com Ask for Shannon (or Tacozilla, or punk ass)

And trdparts4u.com -- Ask for Jacque (like Jock)

both cool guys that should shoot you a good price. Tell them your a member at TTORA. Neither one will get frustrated with your questions/concerns
I've heard that Shannon guy isn't too familiar with tacomas though? ;)

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
I am running the same tire and my speedo is off by 3 mph. Had it shot on radar by a cop friend of mine. I have an 05, so it may be different on your speedo. My AAL ride wasn't bad, but I had the longer alcan. My spacer lift was a bit stiff. I switched to Hoes and never looked back. Check the forum, you can run many different combos to achieve the lift and still get a good ride.

·
Registered
587 Posts
mojavegold said:
I am running the same tire and my speedo is off by 3 mph. Had it shot on radar by a cop friend of mine. I have an 05, so it may be different on your speedo. My AAL ride wasn't bad, but I had the longer alcan. My spacer lift was a bit stiff. I switched to Hoes and never looked back. Check the forum, you can run many different combos to achieve the lift and still get a good ride.
3mph at what speed though? its not a constant 3mph difference just so you know.

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
My speedo was off 3 MPH at 60 MPH. Good catch 5VZFE, I missed that little detail. :eek:

·
Registered
21 Posts
Im running the OME/AAL 3" setup from toytec on an 03 prerunner xtracab. Ride is not that bad. I like it better than stock actually. Am running bils on the front instead of OME shocks which may have a smoother ride than my current setup. I am also running 285/75/16. My speedo is also off 3 at 60mph and at 70 is off about 4 to 5. Any of you TX guys know a good shop in Houston or Dallas area that will do my IFS 4x4 conversion when I am ready?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts