TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see alot of the 4 cylinders getting 200K+ miles but how about the 6 cylinders? I have seen some on the net that needed rebuilt before 150k. Do you guys think that if you keep the rpms in the higher rev range it wears the motor faster? For you guys with high mileage what year is your truck and what kind of oil and other maintanence do you do?

Thanks

·
Registered
22 Posts
i had a 95 t100 with 500k km on it all stealer maintained. sometimes i drove it hard and sometime i drove like a granny. i heard this was the last year it was assembled in japan before they moved to the states.

·
Deal Master
2,775 Posts
Another lTX member (SurlynKid) is the Original owner of a T100 with over 220 or 250 K miles on it- The T100 is currently his dedicated trail rig.

·
Registered
150 Posts
My 96 taco has 178k on her with synthectic oil only, i drve at normal rpms in town when im out on the trail shes in second gear 4H at 3500rpm. Still going strong.

Built Toyota Tough :D

·
Registered
607 Posts
This doesn't answer your question but...my '97 2.7 has 80,000 miles on it and it runs like the day I bought it. Burns ZERO oil. Only issue it's having is bad fuel economy, I can't figure out what happened.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have a s/c 97 v6 with 189k (85% of miles are with s/c) still going strong...if the engine can handle the s/c for that many miles then that's pretty impressive in my book. I run Amsoil fluids.

·
Stinks like fish
986 Posts
They'll outlast the rest of the truck if you treat them right. That goes for most vehicles now days. You can blow a head gasket or burn holes in pistons with non fuel modded SC's though. 200k is really a low mark to aim for.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I have a 96 with 133k miles on it. I`ve always used regular Castrol motor oil.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I have a 97 T100 with 270k miles. I put the supercharger on at 214k and it runs like new, no kidding. I change the oil every 3k miles at the dealership and it uses no oil. It still has the original exhaust, O2 sensors, and it gets 17mpg consistently with 37" mtr's.

·
Registered
843 Posts
i had 137,000 on my 98 tacoma 3.4, (would have gone for ever in my opinion until it decieded to go swimming)

and i have 60k on my 01 v6 3.4

on a side note
i had a grand cherokee with 70 k and the motor caught fire while my mom was driving it, we took care of it to, glad it happened though made me met the love of my life (for now) tacomas

·
Registered
18 Posts
86 Toy 4cyl

I ordered a new 86 4 cy. 5 sp. Vehicle Serial number was 19. Had it for 13 yrs. Put 2 timing chains, 1 lower shaft front oil seal, 1 new clutch. Totally abused it every way possible (5k + on oil changes) and still was running strong at 317,000 miles, when I traded it in. I got my moneys worth!!!!

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
yeah i was wondering because I was on ebay and autotrader in the past and have seen trucks with over 200k but then you read and it says "motor replace at 170k" I was like hmmm that kind of sucks, hopefully its just someones poor maintanence and not an engineering thing. Just wondering if the engine was built with the same engineering/ quality control as the rattling dash and non-retracting seatbelt I have? lol

also, is it really true the new tacomas are going to be made in mexico next year? what are they going to make at the nummi plant in CA?

·
Registered
18 Posts
San Antonio

TuRD03 said:
yeah i was wondering because I was on ebay and autotrader in the past and have seen trucks with over 200k but then you read and it says "motor replace at 170k" I was like hmmm that kind of sucks, hopefully its just someones poor maintanence and not an engineering thing. Just wondering if the engine was built with the same engineering/ quality control as the rattling dash and non-retracting seatbelt I have? lol

also, is it really true the new tacomas are going to be made in mexico next year? what are they going to make at the nummi plant in CA?

As a Toyota Engineer I can pass this info on to you. The new Toyota Mfg. Plant is under construction just a little south of San Antonio. It will make the Tacoma and the Sequoia. The complex will incorporate new concepts in supplier methods. All main support companies will be located directly surrounding the main plant. Currently most teir 1 suppliers are within a 1.5 hr. radius back here in Ky. The next teir 1 supplier building will be starting construction this month. I will be in Tx. for the equip. install and start-up as soon as first building phase is completed.

Hope this info will be of benefit regarding mfg. questions.

Doc.

·
Registered
731 Posts
TuRD03 said:

Some D-cab tacos are made at the plant in Mexico now. As well as I can remember, they plan to make 30,000 this year. The word here at the Nummi plant is that plans are to continue to make the Tacomas next year.

Dave

·
Registered
15 Posts
my 99 has 101k on it and still runs like new, and doesn't burn a drop of oil. Im actually installing a supercharger tomorrow :)

·
Registered
351 Posts
i'm not doubting your a yota engiee. But i thought that TMMTX was going to be a Tundra plant. Toyota has about 5% market share in that area and they tought, "What better way to get the news out about your product." I work at TMMWV.
TRDOLMANE, iffin you work on the Corolla/Vibe line you've probably installed thousands of my blocks :) Toyota is the best company i've ever worked for.
later
cart

1 - 20 of 87 Posts