TTORA Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had the deck plate on my last Tacoma, but I didn't want to do that on my 03 Double Cab. I'm in the camp that thinks it is mainly hype (and sound). Logically, all that mod is going to do is suck a lot of hot air from the engine compartment. Yeah, it might sound faster, but is it really? I know there are dyno tests showing gains, but was the hood open? Was a fan running on the engine bay? Would these numbers hold true on the road?

According to some recent testing I've read on here, my thoughts have been confirmed. The intake temps are much higher with the deck plate. I think Toyota had a really good start to begin with on the air box drawing cold (ambient) air from the fender (outside of the engine bay). I mean, Toyota engineering did spend some time and money on the design of the air box. It is pretty darn close to a CAI in stock form.

So this time around, I decided to run with the elbow mod. I don't know if I have done it any differently than others, but this is how I did it.

I removed the air box of course, and slid the elbow out. Once I got the elbow out, I took my hacksaw to the elbow and cut the bend off. So basically, I was left with just the piece that connects to the fender wall in the engine bay (with just about a ¼" of straight pipe leading into the fender).

With this, I was able to connect the air box back to the fender wall with what appears to be a somewhat decent seal (and without the elbow). This way, I am only drawing the fender air.

Is this the way most everyone does it too? I don't know if I have read anything describing this mod in such a way. But then again, there is probably 326 threads on this mod (including this one now).

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Can you tell any difference? Got any pics?
Well, I usually do the step by step picture thing when ever I do anything. But for some reason, I forgot. Can I tell the difference? Ehhhh, I'd be lying if I said yes. But who'd be able to feel 5 - 8 HP anyway? And who knows if it even gave me that much of a gain.

Next up is a cat back. I think with the two combined, I *might* feel a bit more peppy. But hey, even in stock form, this truck kicks the crap out of my '96 Nissan HardBody 4x4 2.4 liter 4 cyl! So I'm happy with anything. Since the elbow mod is free, why not?

-Jeff

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
I did both of them. I had the deckplate only for a good while and it felt like my truck was actually a little bit slower than stock(barely). I was getting a consistent 13mpg.

I got bored one day and did the elbow and I can noticably tell my truck is faster. I also got an increase in gas mileage up to 14.5 or so. The only thing i dont like about it is that I have to put both of them back in when I go in any type of water. The deckplate is easy, but the elbow is just a pain to put back in when I am ready to go hit the mud.

·
Registered
532 Posts
i removed the elbow from my airbox completely and noticed a nice improvement in acceleration, particularly when merging onto freeway traffic. the truck felt starved when trying to merge at speed with the elbow on. IMO that elbow is a major restriction. my low end is still as strong as ever and i now have a nice midrange that wasnt there with the elbow on.

·
Registered
532 Posts
IThe only thing i dont like about it is that I have to put both of them back in when I go in any type of water. The deckplate is easy, but the elbow is just a pain to put back in when I am ready to go hit the mud.
i tend to stay out of the water and mud but i have been in plenty with the elbow off and have never had anything get past the filter. the airbox on the other hand does get dirty inside in front of the filter but not much.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What I was wondering is if anyone hacked up the elbow like I did and placed it back in the fender. The way I did it pretty much ensures I am drawing air only from inside the fender since the box still has to plug into the fender wall.

It looked to me as just removing the elbow and putting the box back in did nothing more than cause the air box to now suck in hot engine compartment air. But, by cutting the extremely sharp turn off with the hacksaw and placing what is left of the elbow back on the wall, the air box then draws from the fender.

·
Registered
3,394 Posts
What I was wondering is if anyone hacked up the elbow like I did and placed it back in the fender. The way I did it pretty much ensures I am drawing air only from inside the fender since the box still has to plug into the fender wall.

It looked to me as just removing the elbow and putting the box back in did nothing more than cause the air box to now suck in hot engine compartment air. But, by cutting the extremely sharp turn off with the hacksaw and placing what is left of the elbow back on the wall, the air box then draws from the fender.
offtopic: where in spring are ya?

·
Registered
531 Posts
Yeah, I did it that way also. I remember reading somewhere (can't remember where) that doing it that way is the best way. . . . I since upgraded to a Volant CAI. The Volant has a gaping square hole. So I cut the inner fender hole bigger to match the Volant and than made a seal between them so that only air from inside the fender would get in. Here's how it looked before cutting it. . . .

Here's how it looks now. . .

I do wheel my truck regularly but have only gone through very light creek crossings. . . . I don't know if this is possible, what I'd like to do one day is make a detachable snorkle. Basically, it would be like a regular snorkle but there would be some kind of disconnect in the inner fender. Then when I"m not using it, I could remove it and put a cap on the outer fender. . . . That would give the best on-road performance and yet make it possible to safely cross deep water. (Plus, neither my wife or I like the look of a snorkle. But I could live with a circular cap on my fender.) . . .

·
Registered
1,102 Posts

This is why I now have my deckplate closed. I might try the elbow mod the same way you did to see if I gain anything.

·
Registered
5,094 Posts
just curious if anybody is running glass fenders and what they have done? with mine i took elbo out and drilled 5 1" holes in front of air box. i havent had problems in rain, on the road (not much mud in phx az).filter is always dirty where those 5 holes are so i know its pulling air from front of box, as far as power i never noticed anything good or bad or noise( big stereo)

·
Old School
938 Posts
I don't know if this is possible, what I'd like to do one day is make a detachable snorkle. Basically, it would be like a regular snorkle but there would be some kind of disconnect in the inner fender. Then when I"m not using it, I could remove it and put a cap on the outer fender. . . . That would give the best on-road performance and yet make it possible to safely cross deep water. (Plus, neither my wife or I like the look of a snorkle. But I could live with a circular cap on my fender.) . . .
That would be tricky to do. Might be possible but I am not sure. One of the big problems would be the seal on the tube. If it was removeable it would be hard to have a good seal (mine is sealed with silicone). The other problem is where the snorkle connects to the fender. If I remember correctly there are 3 screws holding the outer elbow to the fender, attached from the inside. Your best bet for a removeable one would be some custom setup. Wouldn't look pretty but you would only need it on crossings. Have it hook up under the wheel well or something if you got the clearance...

I like my snorkle, as for power, I haven't noticed any real loss. Heck it acts like a forced air intake :) Just don't go thru any deep puddles fast. hehe, we had a lot of rain the last few weeks and I hit a "puddle" a little too fast and forced water into the air intake. Almost killed the engine :(

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
I did the elbow mod and then 2 weeks later hit a big ass water hole and wished I hadn't. It didn't get into the filter area but I cringe when I get near water. I didn't notice any power gain.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.