TTORA Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i'm new to desert type suspensions. Tired of crawlin over rocks. I sold my jeep and bought a 99 TRD Supercharged taco. It is sitting on 33's has a 3 inch body lift and 1.5 inch lift attained by some sort of front coilover and upgraded mount on the top where the spring/shocks connect.(i'm not real mechanic type) Also has some rear shackle lift. Anyway i wana go faster. Problem is i live in the rocky mountains so most of the shops specialize in rock crawlin. Any suggestions on a midrange suspension upgrade. That will let me go faster and smoother but still handle very very light rockcrawlin ?

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
So i'm new to desert type suspensions. Tired of crawlin over rocks. I sold my jeep and bought a 99 TRD Supercharged taco. It is sitting on 33's has a 3 inch body lift and 1.5 inch lift attained by some sort of front coilover and upgraded mount on the top where the spring/shocks connect.(i'm not real mechanic type) Also has some rear shackle lift. Anyway i wana go faster. Problem is i live in the rocky mountains so most of the shops specialize in rock crawlin. Any suggestions on a midrange suspension upgrade. That will let me go faster and smoother but still handle very very light rockcrawlin ?
I would invest in a nice set of coilovers if yours are not too good or are trashed. Next ditch the body lift unless you absolutley want the height. It will be easier in terms of fitting tires to go down to a 32 with coilovers and ditch the body lift. I only say this because a body lift on a truck that goes fast will break causing big problems.

There is a ton of info for a 99 Taco clearing your 33s. Go to the Early Tacoma section on this board and use the search box. There is a ton of info in there. For whatever you cant find post in this Newbie Section and somebody will help you.

·
Registered
4,295 Posts
Sounds like you may have some sort of spacer lift, which is killing your ride. Post up some pics of you setup and we can figure out what it is. Get a set of donahoe extended coilovers with some total chaos upper control arms, it will improve your ride tenfold. If you're set on keeping the 33's, pick up some fiberglass fenders and they'll clear just fine. Body lift's arent good for going fast...so get rid of that as well.

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
ditch body lift and whatever the fuck you have up front.

Get donahoes and deavers and good shocks out back. done!

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
Ditch the body lift, and go to all-pro and get their coilover+uca package, then throw some deaver or all-pro springs in the rear.

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
if he want to go fast the hoes are a better CO...

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i went to donahoe racing and total chaos, saw the uppers around 550 but the coilovers had no price do u know of any websites that sell packages i'd like to spend around 2000 on parts, any ideas????

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
any sites to buy new fiberglass fenders ???/

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I got a better question...seems that socal area has alot of shops that specialize in this stuff. Anyone got any suggestions where 5000.00 would be best spent. Wana get into the LT suspensions but live in colorado........

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
I got a better question...seems that socal area has alot of shops that specialize in this stuff. Anyone got any suggestions where 5000.00 would be best spent. Wana get into the LT suspensions but live in colorado........
what does your last questions mean????? Are you planning on moving etc.?

go to wheelersoffroad.com, they have package deals

If you really are planning on spending 5k on front suspension then you can go with LT if you wish.....but im sure other people might have different suggestions.....please explain a little bit more what you want to do with the truck..

heres some people crawling with a TC kit
http://www.chaosfab.com/media/video2.html

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
i'm not movin to socal but my job alows me to take alot of time off...so i might just take a vacation near a good shop. I have a posting looking for someone in colorado but no luck......

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
i would like the truck to fly through the air! no really i wana drive fast on the flat dirt roads around my area, there are a lot of them... and also drive up some of the rougher forest service road. No hard core rock crawling, rock crawling isn't really the right term. Just rougher roads that would beat on a stock tacoma. You could drive them but not real good for stock setup. I have 33's now and handle these roads just fine. i just want to tear throgh the desert and still be able to drive the forest service roads. So what do i need??? 5000 budget.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
wow that chaos site answered alot of my questions. think i'll see if the local rock crawling shop can help me out now that i have an idea on parts and diffrent set ups. thanks for your help guys .

1 - 16 of 16 Posts