TTORA Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
567 Posts
IMO its how the vehicle gets used. 99% of the people out there doesn't have "expo" rigs.

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
There really is no difference in my world except maybe changing between sets of tires to suit the type of driving...

I have daily driven my truck to work every day since purchased new in 2003 (the BFG all terrains go on).
It serves as my weekend wheeler (the Q78s go on).
It serves as my expedition vehicle (the 255 BFG KM2's and camper top go on).

As of right now it's prepped for expedition mode (while still functioning as a DD) as we leave for Baja, Mexico for 2 weeks on June 1st. Can't wait to go!

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
IMO its how the vehicle gets used. 99% of the people out there doesn't have "expo" rigs.
Thats what i was thinking, a 5 day camping trip in moab, is not the same as a 1 month trip through the rainforests of south america (theres that 1%). I just noticed that people saying one has an "Expo rig" sounds better than a mild DD/wheeler/camping truck.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
There really is no difference in my world except maybe changing between sets of tires to suit the type of driving...

I have daily driven my truck to work every day since purchased new in 2003 (the BFG all terrains go on).
It serves as my weekend wheeler (the Q78s go on).
It serves as my expedition vehicle (the 255 BFG KM2's and camper top go on).

As of right now it's prepped for expedition mode (while still functioning as a DD) as we leave for Baja, Mexico for 2 weeks on June 1st. Can't wait to go!
If you need anything in SoCal let me know. Happy to help out another Georgia Boy. We are in the Corona, Riverside, San Berardino county area.

We will be heading east for the summer around June 15th planning to go to the North Rim, UTAH, SW Colorado before we end up back in GA for a few months. I bought an M101A3 trailer and am currently modifying it for our use this summer.

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
I think the difference is in the gear and your knowledge. How prepared are you? There are a lot of factors in that questiion.

·
Registered
662 Posts
I agree with what's been said. I think that a DD/weekend wheeler is very similar to and expo rig for one primary reason: reliability. Both a daily driver and and expo rig are built so they don't need a bunch of special maintanence to keep them running. They can't do the crazy extreme stuff, but they can do the milder stuff reliably.

Secondly, I think that the gear you carry with your rig is the differentiator. The right tools, supplies, survival gear and communications set an expo rig apart from the DD/Weekend Wheeler. If you can survive catastrophe without any form of aid, that's probably an expo rig.

My two cents...

·
Registered
31 Posts
I agree with what's been said. I think that a DD/weekend wheeler is very similar to and expo rig for one primary reason: reliability. Both a daily driver and and expo rig are built so they don't need a bunch of special maintanence to keep them running. They can't do the crazy extreme stuff, but they can do the milder stuff reliably.

Secondly, I think that the gear you carry with your rig is the differentiator. The right tools, supplies, survival gear and communications set an expo rig apart from the DD/Weekend Wheeler. If you can survive catastrophe without any form of aid, that's probably an expo rig.

My two cents...
I totally agree. A DD can travel light day to day…when ready, just pack the tools, supplies, survival gear and communications (communications may already be permanently installed), and you should be good to go. Remember, you're driving a Toyota :D

·
Registered
15 Posts
from my view.... there is a bit of confusion on what some call "expedition" vehicles...and off-road/wheeling vehicles. I feel most people who go "wheeling" need the basic 4x4 with tires to work in the off road environment of their choosing. thats an off road/wheeling vehicle.

Most Expedition vehicles are off-road/wheeling capable but with extra gear need for long term duty without assistance/support. Self sufficient. This gets confusing when you see what most folks call "expo" ....a term which I feel has been chopped up into various iterations of a simple "Camping" rig. Most of the "expo" rigs I see online (especially on forums) are merely over stocked camping trucks. a few days or a week in the woods/outdoors to a well known/visited destination. I prefer to reserve the term "Expedition" for vehicles which are PURPOSE built to reach remote and rarely visited locations...where careful and methodical preparation are required to reach them. whether its unmapped areas or just a really difficult to reach location...in my opinion, thats the essence of an expedition.

Camping rig - a week in the woods with friends

Expedition rig - think "Camel Trophy"

·
Registered
390 Posts
I agree with Boost, but I would add to that the element of being able to drive a 1000 miles or more, hit a trail on the way or as part of the trip, and get to your destination which is more than likely a set of trails.
In our case, we load up the Tacoma with us, the dogs, the bikes, food, gear, and beer and drive to Ouray. We'll do Black Bear and Engineer pass while we are there, but then we have to make the return trip home. I don't really call my Tacoma an Expo rig, but it's not a rock crawler either. It's also set up for camping in a spot quickly as nd to break down the campsite quickly. Whatever it is, we have had and plan to have lots of fun in it.

·
Registered
544 Posts
I’m about to go middle school class report!

ex·pe·di·tion
noun
1. a journey or voyage undertaken by a group of people with a particular purpose, especially that of exploration, scientific research, or war.

I think I disagree with most of what has been stated so far in this thread. I think that most of what has been described is subjective. Being that we’re talking about our vehicles, their capabilities, and the locations we each like to take them, I think we can remove scientific research and war from the above definition. Well, unless testing out suspension and/or equipment counts as research!?

I feel that the most simplest of definitions for an expedition vehicle is: a vehicle prepared to explore. Now, at what level of exploration one wishes to partake will determine the preparation needed. If you’re just looking to take your Toyota out for some bird watching, you better pack some binoculars! Most of us are out to explore terrain off the roads. So, some level of suspension and drive train modifications are expected, but honestly, it’s not required. A well-stocked tool kit and whatever items you feel will keep you safe and your wheels moving are another basic component of an expo rig. But expecting an expo vehicle to be outfitted for a months long journey into the Amazon jungle or the Arctic tundras will remove nearly everyone in this forum from participating in the expo section of this thread. Who has that much free time off of work!? Who has that much money?! I think a perspective shift is a good idea.

I like to think that a well-built (subjective to the individual’s goals) Toyota that is ready to go adventure in the terrain available to a person, whether for a day trip, a weekend camp, or for someone’s entire paid two weeks of vacation could all be considered an expo vehicle. I say all this in hopes of bringing MORE people into this thread! I feel that the expo built truck is a STYLE of build. You can build a truck in the style of a rock crawler or desert racer and never do those activities. Rock crawlers can be used only for grabbing groceries. Desert race trucks can be used solely for commuting to work. I say this as a person that has used his rock crawler and desert truck for the daily life tasks in addition to their style of builds. Having a “purpose-built” truck that is only used for that one purpose, shoot, I ain’t rich! And I really enjoy driving my desert-built Tacoma to work and to covid-friendly activities. And my expo-built 4runner does great at conquering parking lot curbs and looking cool at the CVS parking lot when I’m restocking my mask supply because I never wash these darn things, I just buy new ones! Truthfully, I just buy my masks on Amazon, but I’m making a point here with some creative liberties to my nonfiction tale. ;-)

Yes, I do agree with the general consensus of what gear and modifications are reasonable for what most of us do when on our expeditions. Bigger tires, heavier duty suspension, more fuel capacity, spare parts, tools, communications, lights, armor, and the list goes on.

I’m here on this forum to share and see more. I want to see your very first expo mod! I want to see the store bought armor! The home built! I want to see the gear loadouts! Even a jerry can ratchet strapped to your front skid plate! I’m a Toyota enthusiast that leans toward off road adventuring. I’ve aged and my back hurts. The desert racing and rock crawling is less and less appealing. I’m finally starting to enjoy the quiet views just beyond the off road trails. It’s not about conquering to most difficult lines anymore, it’s just about being in nature and enjoying the machines I’ve built.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts