TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I decided to buy another "project" rig, got her for a good deal too, 3 slow and an auto kinda suck, but wtfever i got wheels again! I'll take some pics of her when i get a chance tomorrow but heres the specs

90 4Runner
3.0 V6
Auto tranny
some crappy ass bridgestone 31's
white exterior with some rust i need to fix, blue interior, everything fucking works, weeee.

Future plans for it: definately an axle swap, maybe just four link it with coilovers on all corners, dunno yet, well see in another yr when i really get on building it.

but anyway i cant wait to wheel this ifs pos, lmao spring creek here i come!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
478 Posts
Glad to hear you got another rig. You'll enjoy the new build up....lots of blood sweat and tears, i mean BEERS!!!

Eric
 

·
STITCH - Come and Take it!
Joined
·
9,051 Posts
Good luck on the build! Can't wait to see the before and after photos!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
tat2dguy01 said:
yell when the cutting begins....i wanna destroy something eh, i mean, wrench on ur truck!
hmmm destroy, nah ill do that on the trail, body damage is gonna be emminent, lmao! yah might have to have a party once the process begins for tear down of it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15,034 Posts
Congrats! Welcome to the 2nd gen 'runner club! LOL

Call a local dealer with the VIN. There have been head gasket and steering relay rod recalls.

Start with an engine/tranny swap. The 3.0 is prone to headgasket failures and ask molly how bad a dog the 3.0/auto is at altitude! The overdrive in the auto is so damn tall that it's about worthless with 35's (because Toy axles can only go down to 5.71). In addition, I don't think anyone makes a crawler for the older auto tranny.

ORS makes a kit to swap in a 3.4 5VZFE. Also, you'll need 4cyl transfer case(s) if you want to do a crawler.

I agree about the 3/4link coilover SAS. Calmini just came out with a kit. It's already got coils in the rear, so it should be easy to convert to coilovers.

Be sure to check out yotatech for info - TONS of stuff about second gens over there.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
RedRunnertc said:
Congrats! Welcome to the 2nd gen 'runner club! LOL

Call a local dealer with the VIN. There have been head gasket and steering relay rod recalls.

Start with an engine/tranny swap. The 3.0 is prone to headgasket failures and ask molly how bad a dog the 3.0/auto is at altitude! The overdrive in the auto is so damn tall that it's about worthless with 35's (because Toy axles can only go down to 5.71). In addition, I don't think anyone makes a crawler for the older auto tranny.

ORS makes a kit to swap in a 3.4 5VZFE. Also, you'll need 4cyl transfer case(s) if you want to do a crawler.

I agree about the 3/4link coilover SAS. Calmini just came out with a kit. It's already got coils in the rear, so it should be easy to convert to coilovers.

Be sure to check out yotatech for info - TONS of stuff about second gens over there.
cool thanks troy, ill check out over there as well, yah i know the auto sucks balls, but its gonna be a dd for about a yr then GAME ON! im gonna just wheel the fuck outta this thing with 31's :D . been readin up on 2nd gen stuff for the last week on YT and some on marlin so i think i have an idea of what im gonna do, but yah never know with me, im crazy like that and shit, lol. definately lookin at motor swap and some dual cases though, unsure of which mtoor i wanna do as of now though, it will be trailer queen stats when it gets done so.....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,296 Posts
Wheeeee.... Congrats Vinny! Now I am not so alone with my 2nd Gen! LOL
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Lysmachia said:
Wheeeee.... Congrats Vinny! Now I am not so alone with my 2nd Gen! LOL
Yah cept mines all one color, lol, jk. yah im pretty excited bout her, its gonna be a fun build when i do it!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
possibly 60's or maybe just the sickest yota axle youve ever seen, lol. pends on what i can find at pullnsave over the next couple of months :D


hmmmm 33x10.50's fit with no lift eh, lol. any rubbing issues?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15,034 Posts
I'm running Dunlop Radial Rover RVXT. They're great on the road, OK off road - better in mud than you'd expect, but stil an A/T.

BFG A/T and M/T come in that size, along with most of the Interco tires.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
965 Posts
Vic stuff said:
possibly 60's or maybe just the sickest yota axle youve ever seen, lol. pends on what i can find at pullnsave over the next couple of months :D


hmmmm 33x10.50's fit with no lift eh, lol. any rubbing issues?

my buddy swears to me that he can get me a front HP60 for $250 so when we go down there you might tag along i guess he knows the yard owner
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
965 Posts
Vic stuff said:
mmmfawkinkay i do need tires sometime, 10.50 is a weird size what kind ya runnin?
i ran 33X10.50 BFG muds for awhile with a 2" lift on my taco for a while
 
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Top