TTORA Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
The Ex
2,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off, thank you to everybody who showed up to make this one of the best Big Bear events we've had! Good weather, fun trails and great people!

I arrived at the campsite shortly after 4 on Friday. I set up my stuff as others started trickling in. Eddie was showing up just for the night run and we tried to recruit a few more. Everybody else had their own thing to do so it was just him and me. I didn't want to do anything serious so we headed to Gold Mountain. Eddie's 80 series doesn't have lockers but he's rolling on 35s. Nothing to report, really. We both had a great time. I've been on Gold Mountain plenty of times but it remains one of my favorite trails in Big Bear. This might have been some of the hardest stuff Eddie's seen but him and his cruiser went through like champs. :kewl: I had planned for a 2 hour turn-around trip and we made it back to camp just 15 minutes over that. He didn't stay long after that because he still had the drive back home.

The masses starting filing in Saturday morning. :driving: We pushed our driver meeting back almost an hour to accommodate the late arrivals. It was another great turnout for our annual Big Bear Event! We split into our trail groups and got lined up to start the day. Wyatt was leading a group through John Bull, I was leading a group through Holcomb Creek, Tyler was leading a group through Pontiac Sluice and Johnnie was taking group on a tour of some of the south side trails.

My group had a long drive ahead of us, so we lined up and got out as soon as we could. The group consisted of myself, Bob, Leon, Dawson, Mike and Brandon. After 45 minutes, and many pee stops later, we got to the trailhead of Holcomb Creek. This section would test both our wheeling and recovery skills. The first obstacle was the hardest. My crawler helped me get through but the rough terrain was sending the smell of burnt clutch from a couple other trucks. Bob got caught up a couple times. Leon winched him back and I later had to give him a tug forward. We spent around 45 minutes here.

Holcomb Creek is littered with rock gardens. You get a small break of easy fire road between but not long enough to relax. Previous reports from other members had me picturing this trail a little milder than it was. I had planned to take my group up White Mountain, too, but Holcomb would drain both our time and energy. :banghead: There's not too much shade to enjoy, so pick your lunch spot wisely. We ended up huddling under a decent sized tree for our break. This was around 2 and I was thinking Wyatt should be running into us any time now. Little did I know his group was stopped getting one of their own up and running again.

We slowly made our way to the end and decided there was not enough time to visit White Mountain. My poor map reading skills led to one of my official duties of the day. . . . a u-turn. :rolleyes: I eventually got us onto 3N08 which took us to 3N16 and back to camp.

We had quite the feast for everyone to enjoy! Marinated beef and chicken, tortillas, cilantro, onions, salsa and chips. A big Thank You goes out to the unsung heroes who prepared and cooked so that all could enjoy! And thank you to everybody who supports the chapter by purchasing merchandise from The Store! It helps us give back to you through events like this. :clap: :clap:

A few people started making their way out and back home. The rest of us would enjoy good company around our "lantern-fire". Thank you, Brandon, for spicing up our spirits with a sip or two from your death jar. :flamethro I don't know who got it started, but different bags of goodies made their way around the circle. Leon got a conversation started about how everyone came up with their screen name. I think there was some cabbage patch dancing or something. . . . I'm not too sure. :confused:

These are the events that bring out the best in us. Save for Johnnie's group, we all had challenges we had to face. Some patience and a good attitude go far on the trail. :) More times than not, it'll make things move faster and prevent anyone from getting injured. Your SoCal Staff all want to see everyone make it through to the end and, hopefully, with a smile on your face. :D Thank you, again, to everyone who took part in our Annual Big Bear Event! It gets better every year!

- See you out on the trails!

·
The Ex
2,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Courtesy of Tacoeng:

The 2014 So Cal TTORA Big Bear event turned out to be an event to remember. What a Great time. For those of you that missed it we'll see you next year. You won't want to miss it again.
Saturday started out at the campground staging area with the drivers meeting at around 10:00am. A few of us were running a little late due to traffic and other circumstances on the trip up the mountain. The drivers meeting is always a good time to see who's there and to break off into the separate trail groups. There were 4 groups this year with Michael and Wyatt heading up the hard runs, Tyler heading up the moderate run and Johnny taking over the prerunner/stock run.
The first item of the day is the election of the keeper of the chrome.

Mario and his family were good sports and took care not to damage the chrome.
After breaking off into the separate groups. Michaels crew headed toward the Holcomb Trail. This trail is rated difficult and there were a few sections that lived up to that reputation. Holcomb trail starting point was close to an hour from our base camp so our group got to enjoy some Big Bear scenery and just a nice day.

Made it to the Holcomb gate.

Holcomb trail is a mix of hard and easy areas, a lot of scenery and a few water crossings added in. Once we made it through Holcomb with a little extra added trail we headed back to camp to prepare the carne asada and chicken taco's. Nice. Thank you to Michael and Mayra for all of their hard work purchasing and preparing a fantastic meal. Thanks to all of the help that cut onions, cooked and cut meat and chicken , and made the homemade salsa and cooked tortilla's. Michael, Mayra, Daisy, Sandra, Gary (AKA BeniHana),Tyler, Johnny and Me. Great Meal. To be continued. Still got John Bull.

·
The Ex
2,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Courtesy of Tacoeng:

Story continued--. On Sunday morning we had some time to enjoy the Big Bear morning and come up with a fantastic mix of breakfast that included eggs, chorizo, donuts, bacon, some fruit, cowboy coffee, left over carne asada,and chicken. Turned out to be a pretty good breakfast. Once the area was cleaned up it was decided to put together a group for one last run. Michael (Sparky), Gary (Vistataco), Leon ( Flyte74), CJ (Westcoastking) and myself (Tacoeng) along with our passengers headed up to John Bull trail.

Pics..

:clap: to CJ for taking his truck through John Bull. No lockers just skinny pedal.

Thanks to all of the trail leaders --Michael, Tyler, Johnny, and Wyatt. We had a Great Time. If you missed Big Bear we'll see you next year.

Mike and Daisy.

·
The Ex
2,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Courtesy of awsumdc:

We had a MAJOR failure on our run.

We were just at the end of JOhn Bull. Everyone made it through in good time and no hangups at all. Then, at the picture spot where everyone lines up we did as usual. we all got a group shot. We then headed for Holcomb and at the very bottom of john bull I got a call over the CB saying someone in the back had broken an axle. I drove back up to see what had happen and came up to the little white leaf sprung SAS Tacoma with both wheels pointed at each other and and oneside of the diff nearly on the ground with the small side of the axle on the other side sitting on the ground. He split the axle right at the diff.

Poor driving was not the issue nor the trail were the cause of this though. When it was built, someone ground off a lot of the casting on the short side to get the spring perch in. Not a good idea. It left very little tube in the housing and it was only welded with with one pass. We had to use Two come alongs and three or four ratchet straps plus two trucks with winches to get it pull back together so he could drive it off the trail That took forever because we couldn't move very fast.

Here are pictures of the carnage. The only carnage of the day for our group. Wait, i take that back. The red Jeep Rubicon broke is sway bar quick disconnect. Don't know how it happened but it did.

Here are some of the other pictures. I didn't have my camera. Someone else was using it so this what they shot.

Even though our run was cut short, we had a great time. Got the broken rig off the trails and towed home fine. It drove out under it's own power. had dinner in town after getting the tow truck and headed home.

Looking forward to wheeling again. But next time I wanna do the easy stuff. I never get to explore.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts