TTORA Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So im going to put this Cornfed lift on, its the 3" spacer up front, 1" diff drop spacer and aal with longer shocks in the back and bpv bracket, its the kit he sells. Anyway my first question is if im going to need anything else anywhere like new brake lines in the back...

And my second question is if I can fit a 33x10.5 tire in there, on my stock toyota wheels backspacing wise. I dont have any pics or a whole lot of iunfo on the wheels but theyre the "styled steel" ones i guess not the nice alloy ones, and i think theyre 15x8 but im not sure on that either.

Its a stock 98 v6 4wd ext cab, ADD, non-trd and its red. Ive heard that with ADD its bad to go above 2.5 or 2 is that becuase your cv's spin all the time and it wears them out faster? Im not too worried becuase ill just hopefully get higher angle boots if they do wear out. Thanks for any info!

ps- any pointers on the install or anything related would be appreciated
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,726 Posts
Yeti said:
Anyway my first question is if im going to need anything else anywhere like new brake lines in the back...
Extended rear brake lines would be a good idea, in the meantime you can bend down the bracket on the left side, just above the rear axle, where the hard and soft lines meet.

Yeti said:
And my second question is if I can fit a 33x10.5 tire in there, on my stock toyota wheels backspacing wise. I dont have any pics or a whole lot of iunfo on the wheels but theyre the "styled steel" ones i guess not the nice alloy ones, and i think theyre 15x8 but im not sure on that either.
If you do have a 15" wheel, it will be 7" wide as opposed to 8". with a 33x10.5 you should get away with minimal rubbing.

Yeti said:
ps- any pointers on the install or anything related would be appreciated
Be careful with those coil compressors, air tools will make it a helluva lot easier, but it's still a chore.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
93 Posts
for some reason im thinking the "steelies" are 15x6......??

i've got 33x10.5 BFG MT's on my 96 with 15x8 wheels(3.75 backspacing i think) and it was only rubbing/skimming the the bottom of my bumper valance when i was turning to the right...... out came the blade. haven't wheeled it really yet but i have gone ahead and folded over some of the pinch weld.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
127 Posts
4x4Dragon said:
for some reason im thinking the "steelies" are 15x6......??

i've got 33x10.5 BFG MT's on my 96 with 15x8 wheels(3.75 backspacing i think) and it was only rubbing/skimming the the bottom of my bumper valance when i was turning to the right...... out came the blade. haven't wheeled it really yet but i have gone ahead and folded over some of the pinch weld.
got pics of your truck ?
 

·
Wheeler Wannabe
Joined
·
1,306 Posts
mudferret said:
Be careful with those coil compressors, air tools will make it a helluva lot easier, but it's still a chore.
Agreed, and if you don't feel comfortable, go to a shop that has a wall mounted compressor and have them do it for you.

4x4Dragon said:
for some reason im thinking the "steelies" are 15x6......??
I believe they are as well, the ones on mine were.
 

·
Long lost Taco Owner
Joined
·
820 Posts
4x4Dragon said:
for some reason im thinking the "steelies" are 15x6......??

i've got 33x10.5 BFG MT's on my 96 with 15x8 wheels(3.75 backspacing i think) and it was only rubbing/skimming the the bottom of my bumper valance when i was turning to the right...... out came the blade. haven't wheeled it really yet but i have gone ahead and folded over some of the pinch weld.
Steel and aluminum are both 15X7 or 16X7. If you look at the back of the rim, it will be stamped or cast in the rim
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
93 Posts
im gonna take some this weekend.

before and after my 2" body lift
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
51 Posts
4x4Dragon said:
i've got 33x10.5 BFG MT's on my 96 with 15x8 wheels
whoooaaaaa 33s on 3.58 gears...how is that? i thought my gearing sucked. 3.91s and 32s
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
93 Posts
Yeti said:
So im going to put this Cornfed lift on, its the 3" spacer up front, 1" diff drop spacer and aal with longer shocks in the back and bpv bracket, its the kit he sells. Anyway my first question is if im going to need anything else anywhere like new brake lines in the back...

And my second question is if I can fit a 33x10.5 tire in there, on my stock toyota wheels backspacing wise. I dont have any pics or a whole lot of iunfo on the wheels but theyre the "styled steel" ones i guess not the nice alloy ones, and i think theyre 15x8 but im not sure on that either.

Its a stock 98 v6 4wd ext cab, ADD, non-trd and its red. Ive heard that with ADD its bad to go above 2.5 or 2 is that becuase your cv's spin all the time and it wears them out faster? Im not too worried becuase ill just hopefully get higher angle boots if they do wear out. Thanks for any info!

ps- any pointers on the install or anything related would be appreciated
oh and didn't know if you knew or not but Dunlop has a 33x10.5 out now. it's not very agressive but it is a cool size :D
http://dunloptires.com/dunlop/display_tire.jsp?prodline=Rover+RVXT&mrktarea=Light+Truck
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
51 Posts
Yeti said:
So im going to put this Cornfed lift on, its the 3" spacer up front, 1" diff drop spacer and aal with longer shocks in the back and bpv bracket, its the kit he sells. Anyway my first question is if im going to need anything else anywhere like new brake lines in the back...

And my second question is if I can fit a 33x10.5 tire in there, on my stock toyota wheels backspacing wise. I dont have any pics or a whole lot of iunfo on the wheels but theyre the "styled steel" ones i guess not the nice alloy ones, and i think theyre 15x8 but im not sure on that either.

Its a stock 98 v6 4wd ext cab, ADD, non-trd and its red. Ive heard that with ADD its bad to go above 2.5 or 2 is that becuase your cv's spin all the time and it wears them out faster? Im not too worried becuase ill just hopefully get higher angle boots if they do wear out. Thanks for any info!

ps- any pointers on the install or anything related would be appreciated
youll be fine...i know a few people runnin 33x10.50 on stock rims w/2"-2.5" lift and they hardly rub at all
 

·
Wheeler Wannabe
Joined
·
1,306 Posts
ptrautne said:
Steel and aluminum are both 15X7 or 16X7. If you look at the back of the rim, it will be stamped or cast in the rim
I'm pretty sure the earlier models (4wd) came standard with 15x6 steel wheels, with 15x7 alloys as an option. The 2wd came with 14x5 I believe.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
469 Posts
I just installed my Cornfed lift the day before yesterday. It's not a bad job at all, and here's two tips:

1. Make sure you have a decent impact wrench. Mine sucked (step-father's) and it wouldn't even move the U-bolt nuts on the rear. Talk about a sucky job wrenching them off by hand, and not a single cheater bar in sight.

2. When you do the drivers side rear AAL, I unbolted the bracket where the soft brake line mounts to the hard line on the top of the axle tube (one 12mm bolt if I remember right, very easy to do). This let the whole thing flex down lower without stressing the line too much. I found that to be much easier than trying to remove the spring eye bolt and fooling with all that.

I love the lift. Just got my 32x11.5 BFG AT's installed today and I'm loving the truck so much right now.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So thanks everybody ive been gone all day working on my buddys old jeep and then after that we went to work on mine... Its at the farm where I work they have a great shop so everything went ultra well, you all might be jealous but theirs even a lift out there. So the coil compressor was really nothing, at first i was using the ratchet to be safe you know but after screwing up one side and having to recompress it, twice?, I went to the impact.

The rear brake line was just like you said, i loosened that bracket and tomorrow i hope to get some cool SS braid line MMm mm.

Oh, I got the plain jane shocks not the upgraded ones and they were to short to get on with the truck in the air so we had to set it down, whats up with that? I want longer shocks, is it becuase you just cant make a shock that will extend that far and also compress to be that small?

Now i just need something bigger than my 235/75's
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
203 Posts
Jamier2 said:
I just installed my Cornfed lift the day before yesterday. It's not a bad job at all, and here's two tips:

1. Make sure you have a decent impact wrench. Mine sucked (step-father's) and it wouldn't even move the U-bolt nuts on the rear. Talk about a sucky job wrenching them off by hand, and not a single cheater bar in sight.

2. When you do the drivers side rear AAL, I unbolted the bracket where the soft brake line mounts to the hard line on the top of the axle tube (one 12mm bolt if I remember right, very easy to do). This let the whole thing flex down lower without stressing the line too much. I found that to be much easier than trying to remove the spring eye bolt and fooling with all that.

I love the lift. Just got my 32x11.5 BFG AT's installed today and I'm loving the truck so much right now.
can you please post some pics of your truck with that lift and your new tires on it when you get a chance. i have the same lift and im between getting 33s or 32s. pics would help me alot
thanks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
469 Posts
ocdp2000 said:
can you please post some pics of your truck with that lift and your new tires on it when you get a chance. i have the same lift and im between getting 33s or 32s. pics would help me alot
thanks
Sure, I'm gonna take some poser pics of it today.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
469 Posts
I had to resize the pics so they could be seen on one screen, and it did mess up the edges some, but you can still see how it sits.
 
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Top