TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
7,735 Posts
Sigh.. troy, come on.. you know that you can't wheel unless you have SFA and a 114" wheel base. It's been discussed many times. Somebody needs to start leaving you notes on the walls so you can re-remember each morning when you wake up.

·
Registered
13,296 Posts
I think I might be one of those some people! *GRIN*

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
lol i wuv these threads!!! i think i managed to kill two birds in one stone on what i think is a good joke,, insulted the douche his intellegence and got an old man joke in!!

that "hoss thread" helped out a bunch in the egging of the flatbiller. lets watch to see if he responds! this should be good!!

·
Registered
13,296 Posts
Is there something in the unemployment rules that says what you can or cannot spend that check on?
No... but IMHO this is an ass hat waste of employer and tax payer money. LAME

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
If you don't need the money then why would you accept public assistance?

Every person who accepts public assistance that does not need it is abusing the system.

Public assistance should be a last resort period.

·
Registered
431 Posts
There appears to be a misunderstanding of how unemployment works. Or how it mostly works, since now, yes, because of the 'economic crisis' your federal income tax dollars are going toward unemployment. At least in this state, your employer pays an unemployment tax on each employee so that if/when they do get laid off they have some income to live off while looking for another job. It's pretty much the same thing as insurance, except your employer can't not offer it to you. You don't get paid automatically, and you have to be looking for work to get it when you do ask.

No, there are no rules about what you can spend the money on. It's there for your car payment, your mortgage, your food, whatever. Whether you drive a 15-year-old Honda or a 6-month-old Viper, live in a dirt shack or a 3.5 million dollar mansion, and eat ramen every meal or dine at 5-star restaurants three nights a week. The more frugal you are, the longer it'll last, but that's about it. The rules are all in how or whether you GET the money in the first place, but I'm sure there's a lot of 'little white lie' and downright dishonest/fraudulent people out there abusing the system.

Yeah, the guy in question sounds like a tool. If the obvious potheaded-ness weren't enough, his whole demeanor and everything makes me seriously question (right or wrong) whether he's following through with his end of the deal and actually looking for work. And to even consider a multi-thousand dollar upgrade like that does seem a bit much.

But where do I draw the line? What is need? Should I not build a new computer even though mine is over five years old and I use it for work/job search related things? Should I not do anything to my truck until I find a job, no matter how cheap or if I pay for it by selling other stuff? If I had still owed on my truck, should I have sold it and bought something else I could pay for outright? Should I stay home, go on no vacations, not even a trail run, never eat out, go on a ramen/pb diet, buy absolutely nothing not critical to living until then?

Sorry for the rant, but I don't like the insinuation that anyone on unemployment still trying to live some semblance of a life is a deadbeat. The line for unemployment isn't when your choice is eat dirt or take assistence - that's for food stamps. ;) But if you're constantly blowing your benefits on buying crap or going out and partying all the time, with no planning or consideration for what happens when it runs out if you haven't found work by then, yeah, you've probably long since crossed it.

·
Registered
4,770 Posts
i wanted to post but i couldnt remember my password.....why it asked me im not sure but i will get back to it...

·
Registered
13,296 Posts
Um clearly you were able to post russ... with or without your password... LOL

·
Registered
746 Posts
There appears to be a misunderstanding of how unemployment works. Or how it mostly works, since now, yes, because of the 'economic crisis' your federal income tax dollars are going toward unemployment.

[. . . ]

Sorry for the rant, but I don't like the insinuation that anyone on unemployment still trying to live some semblance of a life is a deadbeat. The line for unemployment isn't when your choice is eat dirt or take assistence - that's for food stamps. ;) But if you're constantly blowing your benefits on buying crap or going out and partying all the time, with no planning or consideration for what happens when it runs out if you haven't found work by then, yeah, you've probably long since crossed it.

Well said! My question above was rhetorical and was to highlight this exact point. There are NO stipulations on how you spend your money. I see unemployment as earned income in a way anyhow. If your employer was not having to pay into unemployment that would likely be money in your pocket instead. Unemployment is insurance just like any other insurance. Instead of paying medical bills, or short-term disability, or whatever, it is paying you for loosing your job through no fault of your own. In other words, you get fired or just quit, you do not get it.

I would add to your explanation a bit. The rules for unemployment are complicated. Your entitlement. and yes, it is an entitlement just like an insurance annuity, is based on your wages during the claim period. It could be high or low. You can also end up at the end of your claim period with money left in your account that you can't touch and it won't roll into the next claim. There are also different types of unemployment. For example, you can have 'job attached' unemployment. That is a situation where a company lays you off so you can draw unemployment with the promise that you will be rehired when the situation changes. If you are a union member, at least in the trades, like electrician, plumber, etc. you are automatically 'job attached' since job placement is through the union hall. You do not even have to look for another job when you are job attached.

I don't pretend to understand all the ramifications of SAS, what is needed and what is not, but I will defer to the knowledge of people like Troy.
This guy is an idiot for doing what he is doing but that would apply whether the money being spent is from 'earned' income or unemployment.

·
Registered
93 Posts
The money is put into an account that is yours, if you need it. I got laid off, after 10 years of loyal work by a company that was going to turn give bonuses to it's execs. They paid the money (unemplyment tax) into an account for me. I have yet to recieve any of it as I have found work. But I was about to start recieving bennifits, when I found this job.

In essence the money, in those accounts, is yours (ours...each of us). We all pay a shit load of taxes, more that what made our founding father rebel. I feel like I should get some return on what I give the fed and state governments. ie., when I spend money I like to have something to show for it.

Some will bitch about how one person spends the small ammount of unemployment that they are getting (by meeting the criteria that allows for them to revcieve it), but turn a blind eye to where all the other tax money goes...to things that are much more wasteful.

Remember that moeny that that kid is spending is going back into the economy and is multiplied along the way.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
Jon W. that money goes into a system that is for people who need it. Not an account that is set aside for "Jon W. future unemployment account." Look at what you put in and how much you get back, if you were on UI for 6 months it would equal what most people pay into it for 20 years.

The purpose of any public assistance is a temporary means to suport yourself while looking for employment or recovering from a medical issue. TEMPORARY being the key.

The Money isn't YOURS that is put into a speacial account with your name on it. It is a Tax that you pay Just like SS or FICA.

And SS has been abused so damn bad it will be bankrupt by the time I get old enough to claim.

How many people in California do you think are abusing the system? A state that is all but bankrupt, and also has the highest cost of public assistance. How many people are abusing that system?

I dont agree with the attitude of "It's my money" or "I can do what I want with it"

If you need it great, if not dont take it just because it is available and may pay for a few projects on your truck.

·
Registered
4,858 Posts
It is like any other form of insurance. Many people pay in a small amount, so when a few people need it, there's a large pot to draw from.

I don't think the account is serious anyway.

·
Registered
746 Posts
It is a Tax that you pay Just like SS or FICA.
Not in Colorado, at any rate. It is a tax paid by your employer.

From the Colorado Department of Labor website:

The UI Program provides temporary and partial wage replacement to workers who have become unemployed through no fault of their own. The program is funded by employer paid taxes and provides benefits to those who meet the eligibility requirements of the Colorado Employment Security Act. The intent of the program is to aid in maintaining the economic stability within a community by safeguarding the income and purchasing power of the unemployed worker. The program is administered by the Division of Employment and Training of the Department of Labor and Employment.
Note the intent of the program - in other words, it is your money to go spend as you see fit, just as long as you keep the money flowing.

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
So it is a forced tax paid by the employers.

Do you think that does not equate to Higher product costs and Lower wages?

There isn't a company in the world that "eats" taxes. They pass it along to the consumer or recoup it with lower wages.

When a city enacts a "Bed Tax" on all hotels, the hotels are not paying that, they don't absorb the cost. The person who is staying there does.

And NO it does not say how, what, where , when you can spend the money you receive. But I find it irresponsible and absolutly wrong to claim the benefit then piss it away on unnecessary items.

By the logic presented then it is perfectly ok for someone to sell their food stamps for cash and go buy a new tv, pay a car payment, buy drugs, alcohol, etc.?

Either scenario IMO is abusing the system.

·
Registered
93 Posts
What CHalkie said.

If what Prodigy said were true, then why are those who have NOT worked, NOT eligible for unemployment, as well. You have to have worked to recieve it. When an employer figures your wages, they take this into account when establishing your wages. It is part of you compensation.

I recieve the maximum unemployment benefits do to my wage rate. But I don't have a lot of bills and may be able to survive on less than I'm elible for. So....does that mean that I should recieve a lower benefit rate?

Also, the market will bear only so much despite the coast to produce. THe idea that the cost are passed on to the consumer is a horseshit political scare tactic. ECON 101.

What some are saying, is essentially, "each according to their need", which is Marxist in nature.

1 - 20 of 73 Posts