TTORA Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at the start of a long build... long mostly because my wife is against me cutting up a new truck, so I have plenty of time to research stuff while I save up to buy her her own vehicle.

Anyway, this past summer I moved from southern Ontario (lots of rocks) to western Manitoba (prarie). Most of the offroading I do is on through open fields, utilitity access roads and fire breaks. Lots of loose dirt, hard dirt & gravel, but not alot of mud or sand.

Since very little of it involves climbing or crawling I need a suspension that'll handle well at higher speeds whilst standing up to rutted roads and dry river beds... I've been looking at some of the desert trucks online and I'm starting to think that they're more along what I need. I know my solid axle rock crawler handles like shit around here.

The only limits I'm going to put on this is 33in tires. Any bigger is pointless around here. Even the 33s on my other truck are questionably large for the terrain, but I like the looks so I'm sticking with them.

So... I'm looking for suggestions from those that wheel in a similar environment. Is a desert type setup ideal for this? Or a combination of some other setups? I'm open to all options (lift hight, lift method, wheels, wheel adaptors, ect)

Basically, I'm asking what you'd do in my circumstances ( and moving some place else isn't an option).

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
IMO, stick with the IFS set up that is in the truck and just upgrade it to reflect your driving style. I am running hoes at 2.5 inches of lift, dakar leafs, 5150 resi shocks and I like the performance of the truck. It rides nice, handles the rough stuff, but still feels like it's planted on the road at highway speeds. I am in SoCal, so the desert and mountains are my chosen terrain. I would stay away from the AAL's, they are too stiff IMO. You might also want to look into the bilstien 5100 series for the front.:2cents:

·
Registered
407 Posts
You might show your wife this....

A pile of dirt took out the lower tupperware; a fencpost 86-ed the grille, hood and fender. The hits were at 10 mph or less and Norma didn't think any damage was done....until she got out and saw plastic scattered all over the pasture.

Considering all the damage and knowing what I do with the truck, she was first to recommend front end protection and likes the new ARB. The new factory replacement tupperware is bubblewrapped and boxed until I sell/trade.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts