TTORA Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lately I have been considering possibly trading in my Tacoma for a D-Cab Tundra. I have found myself pulling a trailer a bit more here recently than in the past and feel I need to get something better suited for doing so. For comparison purposes I have an 04 Tacoma D-cab 4x4 TRD and I am looking at an 04-06 Tundra D-cab 4x4.

So my question is how many of you traded a Tacoma in for your Tundra? Do you wish you still had your Tacoma? I have a daily driver so MPG is not an issue.

Also how can you tell if a Tundra has an LSD? I have noticed that some have a little sticker on the differential that says "LSD oil only" is there any other way to tell?

Thanks in advance guys.

·
Registered
6,347 Posts
Lately I have been considering possibly trading in my Tacoma for a D-Cab Tundra. I have found myself pulling a trailer a bit more here recently than in the past and feel I need to get something better suited for doing so. For comparison purposes I have an 04 Tacoma D-cab 4x4 TRD and I am looking at an 04-06 Tundra D-cab 4x4.

So my question is how many of you traded a Tacoma in for your Tundra? Do you wish you still had your Tacoma? I have a daily driver so MPG is not an issue.

Also how can you tell if a Tundra has an LSD? I have noticed that some have a little sticker on the differential that says "LSD oil only" is there any other way to tell?

Thanks in advance guys.
Any reason you don't want to go with the 07? If you are buying it for Towing purposes... why not get a truck that was designed specifically to tow and haul.
I get the same MPG as I did in my stock Tacoma 3.4L 4x4. as I do in the 5.7L 2wd.

I never looked back once I got the 07 Tundra, it is leaps and bounds better than my Tacoma (04) for what I need it to do. It is considerably better on the road... the ride may not be as plush but the benefits greatly out weigh the stiffer ride over 'washboard' freeways.

They can be found for decent prices, if you don't want the limited 4x4 with all the bells and whistles. Just don't settle for the price on the sticker. I got mine a couple weeks after they arrived at the dealer and paid $500 over dealer invoice.

I currently have right around 6K miles on it, it tows great, exceeded my expectations.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
All of the double cab and crew max Tundras have the LSD. There is no more TRD locker option for the Tundra....only LSD. Great truck BTW.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
All of the double cab and crew max Tundras have the LSD. There is no more TRD locker option for the Tundra....only LSD. Great truck BTW.
There was never a TRD locker option for the tundras (00-06). Only the TRD LSD.

As far as determining if you have one, you can pull the VIN and ask the dealer or look at the axle code, provided on the sticker along the door sill.

One thing to consider, if you get an 05-06 DC 4x4. Apparently, the front 7.5" diff is not the same as the 00-04. There is an issue with the ring and pinion. Either it's different or there's clearence issues. There isn't any after market gears available. So, if you wanted to regear a 05-06 4x4, to either 4.56's or 4.88's, you can't.

·
Registered
83 Posts
last month I upgraded my 99 2.7l tacoma reg cab base model for an 01 sr5 access cab v8 tundra and i will never look back. I liked the tacoma alot but the tundra just rides so much nicer and tows way better obviously. I also get better gas mileage with my stock tundra than i did with my tacoma and 33's. good luck on your decision.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Any reason you don't want to go with the 07? If you are buying it for Towing purposes... why not get a truck that was designed specifically to tow and haul.
I get the same MPG as I did in my stock Tacoma 3.4L 4x4. as I do in the 5.7L 2wd.
Mainly price. I really need to stay below about 25k but if I dont find anything used I may have to look a bit harder at a new one. As far as towing it is not so much the weight of the trailer but the frequency I have been doing it lately. The trailer I tow is only about 3500lbs or less but for some reason the Tacoma just does not like to pull it.

Thanks guys for all your input and I am pretty sure if I can find one I will end up with a TUNDY!! HA HA!!

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It was a joke because everyone was making such a big deal about it. Didnt you see the Ha Ha behind it? Sorry.

·
Registered
135 Posts
last month I upgraded my 99 2.7l tacoma reg cab base model for an 01 sr5 access cab v8 tundra and i will never look back. I liked the tacoma alot but the tundra just rides so much nicer and tows way better obviously. I also get better gas mileage with my stock tundra than i did with my tacoma and 33's. good luck on your decision.
Did the same thing last January, lost 1 mpg, tows great, no more patience in traffic 270 horses and your gone.

Don't get me wrong, I miss my Taco. Kids didn't fit in the back anymore.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Well if you want something for towing you might as well get the new Tundra. I bought a 03 Tundra after my accident in my 00 Tacoma.

As far as missing my Tacoma TRD with rear locker.... lots.
When I got the Tundra I liked the ride, space, and comfort of the vehicle. I generally try to buy a 4x4 that would fill my needs, hunting, fishing and occasional offroading. The Tundra is to big and sucks for off roading, just mild stuff.

After a deer hunting trip I decided to get a Jeep. (I know you guys will flame me for this.) But I don't give a damn about destroying the Jeep. It's a little small, wheels good, and it was a easy build. But I truley miss my Tacoma for offroading. That thing with the rear locker would out wheel that Jeep any day of the week.

·
Registered
3 Posts
You can get a great used Tundra for well under 25K. I picked up a 2002, access cab, TRD with 46K miles this past fall for a chunk under 20. It was in superb condition, very clean, and I'm sure never even saw a dirt road, let alone 4 wheeling.

I bought mine to tow a travel trailer that weighs less then 3K. Handles it very well. While I'd like the new Tundra, it's not worth the money for me at this time. For towing a 3500# trailier a used Tundra with the 4.7 is plenty of truck. It'll do a great job for you.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.