TTORA Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hear so much about this 7th injector....what is it? I assume it blows gas into the throttle body to deliver the extra fuel neessary to take full advantage of a supercharger? Why not just increase the size of the 6 injectors you already have?

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
There are a couple of different approaches. I feel installing the proper size injectors is the best way to go and the do a custom tune you can get your truck running the best it can under all conditions.

Then there is the additional injector approach. That is the approach TRD has taken. It is not as good as installing the proper size injectors, but works as kind of a band-aid fix. The problem with the TRD thing is that it is very expensive for what you get and you have no ability to adjust the tune. It seems that most of these things run SUPER DOOPER rich. One I tested was richer then 9:1 AFR. We installed one of our AIC units that we developed to take control of the TRD 7th injector and we tuned it down to 12:1 AFR and the power really came in and that truck ran really well.

I have gotten a lot of emails over the last year from people with the 7th injector and have had repeated cat failures. There has been more then one person that has told me that TRD has told them that unless they remove the TRD products, supercharger and 7th injector from their truck their will void their warranty. I have never heard of a burned out cat without the 7th injector. It just seems odd and that is all I am going to say about that.

I think one of those guys posted here recently and maybe you can find the post. There have been a few others that I know of.

For years TRD has been telling people I am a nut and that no additional fuel is needed for the supercharged engine. Then after all that time they come out with their own kit to suppliment fuel, but they state the increase in power is not from the addional fuel, but from the "intercooling effect". Folks seem to be smart enough to see through that.

·
Tacoma-dana 44
383 Posts
I think the idea is to "inject" fuel into the blower. Otherwise I'm guessing that the fuel pump is the only supply of fuel to the blower. Then fuel is "blown" into the 6 cylinder injectors.

This is a simplified explanation, somewhat based on spectulation, so no one needs to waste there time sending me flame-o-grams. I've read a little about the 7th injector. I don't have a blower and never will.

100 Posts
GADGET, Frankly, I am concerned! Still under warranty. I leave for New York in three months and do not want to be stuck on the side of I-95 waiting for AAA. WHAT TESTS AND POSSIBLE CURE CAN MY DEALERSHIP DO BEFORE I LEAVE TO PREVENT THIS PROBABLE FUTURE PROBLEM. Thank you for your interest. Richard

·
Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It is very obvious that you need more fuel with a supercharger (as you Gadget were the first one to discover). With the intake manifold pressurized, you're effectively cramming more air into the cylinders on the intake stroke, but you still need the correct air/fuel ratio which means you need more fuel than you would if the engine were unblown. Toyota must use their crappier engineers for TRD and put the good ones on core products.

·
Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey speaking of fuel, what if the gas mileage of a supercharged Taco? Does it go down noticably?

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
97TacoDude said:
Hey speaking of fuel, what if the gas mileage of a supercharged Taco? Does it go down noticably?
Both of my supercharged 4Runners with a properly tuned URD kit and 2.2" pulley get better MPG then they did stock. Of course you can get much worse then stock MPG if get on it to much...

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
REDMARLIN WITH SOUL said:
GADGET, Frankly, I am concerned! Still under warranty. I leave for New York in three months and do not want to be stuck on the side of I-95 waiting for AAA. WHAT TESTS AND POSSIBLE CURE CAN MY DEALERSHIP DO BEFORE I LEAVE TO PREVENT THIS PROBABLE FUTURE PROBLEM. Thank you for your interest. Richard
Your dealership can not do anything with or for the TRD 7th injector. The programmed is locked down and can not be changed by anyone other then TRD.

·
Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That's cool. How much would it cost me total to get a URD 'charger and all the kits and tunes necessary to make my 2.7 run like a champ?

·
Premium Member
12,934 Posts
I don't think you are close in your understanding of the 7th injector. The 7th injector injects extra fuel (under boost only) into the intake air charge prior to the supercharger. It is just a cheap way to get more fuel into the engine. It's one injector as opposed to replacing all six injectors for proper sized units.
BTW Eaton and Magnuson both say it is not a recommended practice to put fuel through the blower. Eaton makes the actual blower unit and Magnuson is the sole developer and supplier of all Eaton SC aftermarket kits in this country. In other words, they supply the basic kit to TRD. I tend to belive that both Eaton and Magnuson know a hell of a lot more about their product and the subject of forced induction than TRD has known, knows now ever will know for that matter. TRD is principally a marketing company so their product decisions are made with an eye to profit and volume sales more than any other factor.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts