TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, wanna get a DVD, seeing now that I've been on another planet or something cuz there are these new Blue ray ??? DVD's and of course HD DVD's.
The question, will the blue ray and HD play on a regular dvd player? The thought is that one day I'll eventually upgrade and want the best DVD. What are the CLIFF NOTES edition please on the differences? Will an HD or Blue ray DVD PLAYER play regular DVD's that I am slowly amassing or am I gonna be stuck with "Beta tapes" version of dvd's? ( yeah I'm old, a few on here prolly don't know about old beta tapes right before VHS tapes. )
Thanks. to all you who are tech-no enlightened more than I. :)

·
STITCH - Come and Take it!
2019 4RUNNER TRD Off-Road
9,051 Posts
Yes, the old normal DVD's will play in either version.
My vote would be for Blu-Ray to survive. it has greater capacity and transmission rates compared to the HD-DVD. But I would hold off like atwinda mentioned.
Why pay for the development costs, remember the first CD player, first DVD player.
Just wait.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Don't pick a side yet. I sell both. And both have their advantages and disadvantages. Samsung will come out with a player that will play both formats next year. Once that happens high definition DVDs will take off.

If you need a DVD player right away just get a basic HD upconverting player for $100 that will hold you over until better choices are available.

·
Registered
808 Posts
I would like to know too...not sure but I didn't see an asnwer if the new DVD's will play in the old DVD players. I realize the new players will play old DVD's but will old players play new HD/Blue-ray dvd's in the old format (420 dpi)?

·
Registered
532 Posts
TACO 4X4 said:
I would like to know too...not sure but I didn't see an asnwer if the new DVD's will play in the old DVD players.
nope. what would be the point of buying a bluray or dvdhd player then?

cliff notes:

"Who's on each side?
Toshiba leads the HD DVD consortium, which also includes consumer electronics manufacturers Sanyo and NEC. Entertainment companies on board are HBO, New Line Cinema, Paramount Home Entertainment, Universal Studios Home Entertainment and Warner Home Video.

Blu-ray's consumer electronics list is longer, with Sony, Panasonic, Philips, Samsung, Sharp, Pioneer and LG Electronics. PC makers that support it are Dell, HP and Apple Computer. Also on board are video game maker Electronic Arts and entertainment companies Twentieth Century Fox, Vivendi Universal and Walt Disney.

What are HD DVD and Blu-Ray Disc?

Today's conventional DVDs can hold 4.7GB of information, but many want a higher-capacity successor to accommodate the larger data demands of high-definition video. HD DVD and Blu-ray both use blue lasers to read and write data; because blue has a shorter wavelength than the red used in DVD and CD lasers, information can be packed more densely on a disc and a single disc can hold more. Both HD DVD and Blu-ray drives are able to read current-generation DVDs.

What are the differences between Blu-ray and HD DVD?
Each next-generation DVD format comes in single-layer and dual-layer formats. For HD DVD, that means capacities of 15GB and 30GB; for Blu-ray, it's 25GB and 50GB. Toshiba earlier expected HD DVD to arrive this year, but now the company plans to launch products worldwide in the first quarter of 2006. That's about the same time as the spring launch of Blu-ray, eliminating the early debut advantage. Blu-ray uses Sun Microsystems' Java software for built-in interactive features, whereas HD DVD uses a technology called iHD that Microsoft and Toshiba have worked on."

http://news.com.com/FAQ+HD+DVD+vs.+Blu-ray/2100-1041_3-5886956.html

·
Registered
532 Posts
weirdmexicantaco said:
the PS3 has Blu-ray.... good luck buying one from the store.......
yep. although it is the most expensive game player, it is also the cheapest next gen format player compared to stand alone bluray and hd dvd players that cost $1000.

·
Registered
312 Posts
purity said:
yep. although it is the most expensive game player, it is also the cheapest next gen format player compared to stand alone bluray and hd dvd players that cost $1000.
HD DVD players start at $500. Blu Ray starts at $1000 for a standalone player.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
if you just want a dvd player, you can get on for under 50$. I have Magnoix from best buy or curicut city I bought when I was on extend work assignment. It was perfectly and has been for the past 3 year. If you don't understand the fancy stuff, you sure as hell don't need it.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Not all, there is a Xbox 360 plug in HD DVD player for 200 bucks now. But you obviouly need a Xbox 360.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Yeah my vote is for Blue Ray since it holds more info and therefore has better sound and picture. I know Blue Ray is 1080p but I think HD-DVD is only 1080i. And I didn't know the PS3 was a Blue Ray player. That's pretty cool. And if you get a Blue Ray player it will still play old DVD's, but as of now the Blue Ray can't play HD-DVD and vise versa. So unlike the Beta vs. VHS, where the Beta was superior but ultimately lost out, your Blue Ray or HD-DVD player will still be useful when one of the formats gets canned (hopefully HD-DVD).

·
Wheeler Wannabe
1,306 Posts
mgyver1 said:
Yeah my vote is for Blue Ray since it holds more info and therefore has better sound and picture. I know Blue Ray is 1080p but I think HD-DVD is only 1080i. And I didn't know the PS3 was a Blue Ray player. That's pretty cool. And if you get a Blue Ray player it will still play old DVD's, but as of now the Blue Ray can't play HD-DVD and vise versa. So unlike the Beta vs. VHS, where the Beta was superior but ultimately lost out, your Blue Ray or HD-DVD player will still be useful when one of the formats gets canned (hopefully HD-DVD).
Actually most people think HD-DVD is much better picture (you can't go by displays in stores as they're often tweeked to encourage buyers to purchase certain things...there's several articles floating around on this). Really it's going to come down to one of two things: efficiency of production/cost and what the entertainment industry decides to adopt. Sony has the storage advantage, but has production issues because of that (they're having trouble especially with their 50GB discs). Also, HD-DVDs write their information farther from the surface of the disc (.6mm) whereas blu-ray records at .1mm, so even though sony has that protective layer they say is "scratch proof" much like the DVD industry stated, if one is to be scratched your less likely to have a playable disc whereas, an HD-DVD will still play if scratched (the .6mm is close to the depth of current DVDs).

As far as the 1080i/p issue, all movies and drives are 1080p/24, it's the component out of the HD-DVD that is currently 1080i, however, if your HDTV is 1080p, then it will convert it from 1080i to 1080p anyways (everyone's happy). It's too early to tell really, and come on, aren't DVDs still pretty nice quality wise? Blu-ray discs are right now encoded in the same format as DVDs anyway (MPEG-2) just at a higher bitrate.

So in short to Bear, just buy a cheap DVD player now and wait for th format war to be over, or until either format becomes readily available.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
whats the use of buying alll the 1080p and blue ray when you have an old tv

·
Wheeler Wannabe
1,306 Posts
Super Doody said:
whats the use of buying alll the 1080p and blue ray when you have an old tv
There's not really, but it's the growing trend of HDTVs, in a matter of years, HDTVs will be pretty standard in households as will many of the tv station broadcast signals (which are actually only 1080i not 1080p).

·
STITCH - Come and Take it!
2019 4RUNNER TRD Off-Road
9,051 Posts
purity said:
bragging rights and cool factor.:cool: nothing like watching the latest hd flick on your old 28" zenith woodgrain floor model.
:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Do you mean this type!

Thank you to Vintagetvsets.com for this pic!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts