TTORA Forum banner

Someone please explain springs

2K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  atwinda 
#1 ·
OK if I want my truck to cruise nicer on the highway, do I want to take out the factory springs and replace them with softer ones? Or what about progressive rate springs? Are they the best? Also, since my truck apparently has "coil overs", do I have to get the shoch and spring all as one assembled unit? I do NOT want to play with a spring compressor that's for sure.

#2 ·
97TacoDude said:
OK if I want my truck to cruise nicer on the highway, do I want to take out the factory springs and replace them with softer ones? Or what about progressive rate springs? Are they the best? Also, since my truck apparently has "coil overs", do I have to get the shoch and spring all as one assembled unit? I do NOT want to play with a spring compressor that's for sure.
If you replace the springs w/softer ones you'd be lowering it. For nicer cruising switch your shocks. Your "coilover" means your spring wraps around the shock thus "coiling over it". If you want an aftermarket coilover lift that rides nice there are many available that provide decent ride and lift. But if you just want it to ride less like a truck, get some different shocks.

#4 ·
For just a replacement bilstien shock, see Downey off road. They have other parts available, and you should REALLY think about some new rear shocks. I'll bet most of your suckass ride has to do with the rear. They have some doesth tech shocks for the tacomas that are pretty good, and don't cost much.

#5 ·
Actually you know what I forgot that I replaced the rear shocks with KYB's about 6 years ago. They almost made the ride too stiff in the rear I believe. It now feels like the rear is a whole lot stiffer than the front. Are Bilsteins a lot better than KYB's?

#7 ·
#8 ·
97TacoDude said:
Springs hold weight. That is how they are rated (The high end coilovers use 650# springs). So to use a "softer" spring, would mean it would hold less weight, which is why you'd end up lower.

Progressive rate is just that, two rates on the same spring. TRD equiped trucks have a progressive rate spring (along with NWOR, I believe). Basically one section of the spring is rated different than the second. So the "softer" section acts first, then when you compress the spring enough, the second "kicks in".

A coilover refers to a shock and coil spring assembly. A coil, over a shock. Your 97 has coil springs in the front, and leaf springs in the rear.

As far as ride quality.. You still can't go wrong with getting a high dollar replacement coilover. Just cause we are using them to lift the truck, doesn't mean you have you. Camburgs, Donahoes, Kinds, and Fabtechs all are adjustable- Meaning you can change the precompression (lift) down so that it doesn't lift you. And 1" of lift will not hurt you... A 1" shackle would also be very easy.

Replacing your shocks, however, will do you a world of good; especially if you still have the orignal ones on there. You can go with the stock ones again (a friend of mine did this on his 97 extra cab and was very pleased), or an aftermarket product. Bilstien would get my vote for aftermarket. You are going to have to get involved with a spring compressor for this option, weather you do it yourself, or pay someone to do it (most shops will do it cheap).

Hope that answers any questions.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.