TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Old School
938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This is a post from a TMTC forum I have been involved in. Please read carefully what this says. If you like to go wheeling in Texas and would like to have more places to go in the future I suggest you get one of these (Especially if you goto BMRA or plan to goto the new EDRA park. It is required there now.) This also helps promote our cause and will help give us a real voice here in Texas.

Thanks,
Chad aka Reaper

Chad,

No problemos!! Always glad to answer questions from inquiring minds!! Thanks for asking!! PLease see my replies below:

Chad Presley <[email protected]> wrote:

I saw this post on the TON board when I was reading the post Bobby
mentioned:

"Bob,

HB 3849 has now passed through both the House and Senate. This bill is
a kind of "clean up" amendment to the Bill we worked with last year
that created the OHV decal and subsequently the OHV program within Tx
Parks and Wildlife Dept.
This is a prime example ( the decal) of what can happen with just a
few people working on something. I remember you telling me in would
never pass....even though you supported the idea. The more funding we
have the better....the more the OHV community is "seen and heard" in
Austin, the better.

The TMTC needs members. Members who don't mind getting involved with
the "politics" of the organization. I think that the member numbers we
have now reflect folks who joined so that they could get a reduced
rate to get into BMRA. And I know that a lot of folks join simply
because the want a place to ride/wheel.

The TMTC could and should be much more than that. It should truly be a
"coalition" of folks who care about our sport and where it is heading
in the future. Let's face it - without funding, big funding, we'll
never be able to get the number of parks we need to support the large
ORV community in Texas. California has 231 ORV parks and we are second
only to them in the numbers of ORV' s presumed in the state. I say
"presumed" because I believe that we actually have more than they do,
but we just don't have a means of "counting" them well. The decal will
help with that. Having a state OHV program and a state decal is only
the beginning...

IMO, the TMTC will not grow and expand until we have several things:

And the most important of all is leadership. Leadership that listens
to the pulse of the statewide community of ORV users. Not just the
paid membership, although that is important, but to what is happening
within the entire state. People who are politically suavy, honest, and
capable of devoting the time needed to the organization. People who
are not just in it because they are race promoters, or because there
is a park in their backyard, or because they think it's a popularity
contest or have a huge ego and control issues. People who "get
involved" because they believe in the TMTC and what it could be - not
just what it is.

1. More individual and club memberships
2. Business and corporate sponsorship or memberships
3. Officers would truly work towards our Mission and Vision statements
4. Do what we say and say what we do. Better communication via
marketing, newsletters, brochures etc..
5. Have at least one paid position - someone who devotes their time
solely to the TMTC.
6. A good relationship between TPWD, NFS and the TMTC.

There are many, many more, but we need to get more interested people
involved.

Carol"

This is the first I have heard of this. (shows how much I pay
attention to the politics involved with our sport :) What exactly is
this decal and how do you go about getting it ?

Many states fund their OHV programs through two means..one is a decal and the other is a state gas tax rebate of some sort. Texas is unique ( yessiree, we are, in more ways than one!) in that we have very, very little public land. Texas is 97% privately owned! Most western states have alot, but due to a fluke of our unique Texas history, we don't. ( ask for more of a history lesson if your interested) Up until the 2005 legislative session, Texas didn't even have an OHV program, but during that session, I worked diligently to get a very sparse bit of legislation ( 4 pages!) pushed through. Even our NOHVCC state rep ( Beamer - I'm a NOHVCC associate) didn't think it would pass. But it did, and as I said, that bit of legislation created a decal and an OHV program - adminstrated thru TPWD. It is required for use on public lands or any lands funded through a motorized grant program ( BMRA and EDRA included). All OHV users must have one...ATV's, Dirtbikes and 4x4's , IF they are utilizing the lands aforementioned. If your driving your 4x4 on the street or at a private park (ie; Trees Ranch) - you won't be required to have it. It costs $8 and is available at many parks or directly through TPWD. You can dial 1-800-792-1112 ( press "0" for an operator) and ask to buy an OHV decal, have your CC handy and they'll mail it to you. Or you can go to www.tpwd.state.tx.us and to the left side of the opening page, click on OHV Program. This will give you all kinds of good info about places to ride and shops that sell the decal. The $'s from the decal go to fund more places to ride !! But one - buy two!! Tell everybody!! The more decals we sell, the more OHV's are counted. The more OHV's are counted, a bigger slice of the RTF pie we could get.
Now, if I can only get a miniscule portion of that state gas tax....we'll be rolling in the dough!!! Even a .10 of 1% of Texas' "superfund" gas tax would be multi-millions of dollars ...and believe me, I'm working on it!

I assume getting it
benefits our sport (OHV Recreation). What is the over all goal of this
program ?

The goals of the program are to:
(1) provide more places for us to ride/wheel through grant funding .
A big issue with using the RTF ( fed gas tax rebate) program is that it's an 80/20 match program. This is the funding we used for both BMRA and EDRA. In other words, if your granted $100,000. you have to "match" 20% of that or $20,000. Now, when you start talking about millions of dollars, that 20% can be quite formidable. The decal program $'s can be utilized for that 20% match! It can also help pay for some of those pesky RTF purchase requirements like archeologic studies ( can't wheel over Geronimo's grave!) , animal and plant biological assessments ( can't runover that endangered species of plant or build a trail through endangered species of bird nests). Stuff like that...
(2) provide for educational opportunities for clubs, groups, schools etc
ATV safety education, Tread Lightly! training, etc...
(3) provide educational opportunities for the general public
Public service announcements explaining that OHV ain't as bad as you'd heard!
(4) admin of the program itself...like their website.
Soon we hope to have downloadable trail maps, directly from the site!!

I got a basic idea from what I have seen mentioned here and
there but a little more detail would be much appreciated...

Thanks,
Chad Presley
TMTC Member #740
TX TTORA Member

I sure hope I answered your questions to your satisfaction - without being to wordy, I have a tendency to do that, as if you hadn't noticed!! Please feel to free to ask questions about anything, any time. The only stupid question is one that isn't asked!!
If you would like me to come to a club meeting and explain this ... and answer any other questions you may have concerning OHV recreation in Texas. I'd be happy to, just give a date, time and place and I'll try and be there.

Sincerely, Carol

·
Old School
938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
More Info on Decal Program

Here is a bit more info I just recieved:

Chad:

I just noticed that Carol didn't include the link ...

Here is the link to the TPWD OHV Program

http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/spdest/ohv/

And where you can purchase one ...

http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/spdest/ohv/buy.phtml

They are not in every shop in every town in Texas although they
should be. I got a kick out of seeing a sticker on Steve Thompson's
truck at BMRA when we used the GPS units to collect trail data.

Although they are not required on steet legal bikes, I got one for
each of my four bikes. Thirty Two bucks is a small price to pay for
increasing the OHV opportunities in Texas.

Tony

·
Old School
938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That may be true, that we don't "need" one but I for one plan to buy one probably two (one for my motorcycle too). Think everyone should. As noted in that post I mentioned, 97% of Texas is privately owned, even with an OHV program sponsored by the state it seems the only way we will get more parks is to buy the land via organizations like TMTC because I really doubt TPWD is going to devote any of that 3% of state owned land to OHV recreation parks...

This bit of info alone is enough to get me to buy one:

" (1) provide more places for us to ride/wheel through grant funding .
A big issue with using the RTF ( fed gas tax rebate) program is that it's an 80/20 match program. This is the funding we used for both BMRA and EDRA. In other words, if your granted $100,000. you have to "match" 20% of that or $20,000. Now, when you start talking about millions of dollars, that 20% can be quite formidable. The decal program $'s can be utilized for that 20% match! It can also help pay for some of those pesky RTF purchase requirements like archeologic studies ( can't wheel over Geronimo's grave!) , animal and plant biological assessments ( can't runover that endangered species of plant or build a trail through endangered species of bird nests). Stuff like that... "

Also the numbers of registered OHVs in the state will help the cause. Up until a couple of years ago we didn't have a voice at all. With all that is happening behind the scenes lately it seems that voice is getting louder, and if TPWD sees that there are a large number of OHV users in Texas (which there are, just uncounted as of yet) then our voice will be that much louder...

Buy one or not, sit on your butt or get involved, doesn't really matter to me. Just seems like we got an opportunity to help out our cause and I for one plan to help how ever I can. This is the reason I joined in the TMTC discussion recently. I suggest others do as well. You would be surprised what you can learn about what is going on concerning our favorite past time :)

Laters,

·
Premium Member
5,584 Posts
besides it is only 7 or 8 bucks and it adds at least 10hp if installed correctly. I had one on my last truck, a lot of people notice them

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
I agree with Chris. While the sticker buyout idea is noble in theory, donating directly would help more since it passes through less hands.

·
Registered
964 Posts
I would encourage people that are so inclined to donate the money directly to TMTC and bypass the governmental sticker bureaucracy which has taken more land than it has given, but that just me.
I do agree with your argument, but you gotta remember you are dealing with a bunch of sticker-hungry members here!! :D

You might as well buy your Hunting and Fishing License at the same time..

Have you seen Carlos's Truck??

It is amazing what kind of funds a "Official Decal" can raise.

LOL

We need a TMTC $20 sticker!!! Somethin Perty.. :welder:

HAHA

·
Premium Member
450 Posts
I do agree with your argument, but you gotta remember you are dealing with a bunch of sticker-hungry members here!! :D

You might as well buy your Hunting and Fishing License at the same time..

Have you seen Carlos's Truck??

It is amazing what kind of funds a "Official Decal" can raise.

LOL

We need a TMTC $20 sticker!!! Somethin Perty.. :welder:

HAHA

Hell if it is just stickers that everyone wants, just send me the receipt from the money you sent directly to TMTC.

I can mail you back All kinds of stickers... TRD, ARB, OME...

Thanks for supporting TMTC.

Jacque

·
Old School
938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
I agree with Chris. While the sticker buyout idea is noble in theory, donating directly would help more since it passes through less hands.
I am looking into this. Part of the reason I got involved in the TMTC discussions is becasue I heard there was trouble in the org and members needed to step up and do their part to help guide the org in the right direction. There are some issues with the current BOD and Execs and some of these issues deal with the way money is being spent and allocated.

The person I am quoting in the above posts is Carol Smith. She is basically the person you should thank for getting the new EDRA rec area in Ozona, she has been one of the sole people that got that deal done. She did a LOT of the leg work and talked to the right people to make it happen. She is also the one who wrote the bill that created the OHV decal program in Texas. The money from those funds goes directly to our sport (as far as I have heard, if you know different then please give details not just rumors and hear say please). Not sure what you guys think it goes to but from what she has told me this is money TMTC can use for parks (I am in the process of getting more info for you guys from her as far as the Decal Program details and where funds go from this program). She is in the process of trying to get gas tax funds too, but it will be a hard fight. If that could happen we would have millions of dollars available to build parks in Texas...

Again, if you truly feel like helping out our past time, please get involved with TMTC and join the discussion. E-mail Laura White @ [email protected]

She will add you to the current group and you can follow what is happening in the org. A lot of the BOD is involved with the discussion and hopefully with good feedback from members we can get the org back on track. The current way TMTC is run is not helping our cause :(

Thanks all,

·
Registered
86 Posts
The amendment to the bill that has just passed both the House and the Senate will require a sticker on every vehicle on the trail....even street legal ones. It's only a measley $8 and 2006's revenues went to the Archeological Survey needed at Ozona(EDRA).
Steve Thompson is the head of the TPWD OHV Dept. and he is on the TMTC Members Yahoo Group....he is an offroad user and he will make sure our best interests are taken care of when it comes to the money made by this program. You can trust him. I trust him.
Thanks
Laura

·
Cracker
5,648 Posts
Just to make sure the air is cleared and my position is clear, I have absolutely no hesitancy or qualms about supporting TMTC. Anyone who has been around and knows me knows that that is exactly the opposite of my position.

I led the founding of the only TLCA Club that is specifically charted to support another organization- that being TMTC. Through our club efforts we have participated quarterly in park clean ups, we sought approval for and, over the course of over 4 weekends cleared & built (at our own expense) a new camping area at BMRA. We have successfully hosted two large events at BMRA for the express purpose of raising awareness of TMTC, enrolling members in TMTC and to provide financial support for TMTC. Furthermore, I have been approached and am considering pursuing a position as an OHV (4x4) Rep for the North Texas Area (depending on how the TMTC bylaw amendment vote goes).

So, with that all being said, let me clarify what I have written in this thread.

The title initially threw me off the hunt, when it read (to me) as a suggestion or recommendation for us- as if we should buy into the current program by voluntarily purchasing decals that are not required. While admirable in it's intent, under the current program I would still encourage others to simply donate directly to TMTC and eliminate a level of bureaucracy to ensure the maximum amount of funds goes directly to TMTC.

Lost in the huge posts above was a fact that I missed- namely that HB 3849 had passed, was sent to the Governor on May 28th and is awaiting his signature.

Should this legislation pass, much of this commentary will be moot, as participation in the program by us will be mandatory. Therefore, discussion about whether or not to purchase a decal will be irrelevant, and simply not an option.

I made the effort to state all this because it appears that some thought that I was either 'arguing' about buying a decal (ignoring the sensibility of donating directly) or possibly complaining about a fee, which I never did.

In my capacity as the current President of both Texas TTORA and The Toyota Trail Riders, rest assured that my support for TMTC's efforts towards the acquisition, development and operation of OHV accessible land for us is unquestionable. I believe I can speak on Shannon's behalf as well and express his strong support for TMTC and it's mission, as recently displayed by donation of funds raised at last year's Takeover at BMRA to TMTC as well as again pledging support for TMTC through the donation of funds from this year's Takeover.

Thanks to all for continuing the discussion and taking an interest in the affairs of TMTC. Their efforts directly benefit us all and we should be active members of the Texas Motorized Trails Coalition.

·
Old School
938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I wasn't trying to raise a stink, but I kinda got put off a bit when my idea was completely blown off by a few members as irreverent use of funds. I kinda got that feeling from you Chris even though I am sure that wasn't your intention...

I did originally post this as a way to help out. I wasn't sure either way if it was required on street legal vehicles. I may have missed that in the long winded posts I have read lately. ( You should read some of the current discussions going on over at the TMTC group site. If you think my posts are long winded :) ) Lots of good info though. That is where I first heard of this program. From what I was hearing it was a very good way for TMTC to get funds that they could use. I didn't hear anything about mis-use of funds by the state or TPWD, until today...

I have been learning a LOT about what is going on with TMTC in the last 2 weeks since Laura started the Yahoo discussion group. Some of the news I am hearing isn't too good. There is definitely a need for TMTC members to get involved and help steer the TMTC leadership in the correct direction. TMTC is run by the membership, they vote in the BOD and vote on major issues. The BOD votes in the Exec positions. We have an election coming up in July and need to get some good folks that care about the org and direction of OHV recreation in the state of Texas on the BOD. This is why this discussion group was formed, to get the issues out in the open, and to inform the members about who is who and what positions they are running for. Like I mentioned above, if you feel like you want to help shape the future of OHV recreation in Texas you should e-mail Laura and join the discussion...

I am going to try and get some support for the TMTC and the new park in Ozona here in the ranks of TX TTORA members. I know we got some here in the central Texas area that will be willing to help out like TTR has done up in the North Texas area w/ BRMA. This will be volunteer work on trails and park building at Ozona and any other volunteer work TMTC needs help with. If you read this and want to help out please let me or Adam know. I don't know when Ozona will finally be open to work on but it doesn't sound like it is too far in the future. I hope not !!! :)

Thanks all, and thank you Chris for your support. I have heard of your work with BMRA and it is much appreciated by all in the sport...

·
Old School
938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks to all for continuing the discussion and taking an interest in the affairs of TMTC. Their efforts directly benefit us all and we should be active members of the Texas Motorized Trails Coalition.
I wasn't going to go quite as far as to tell everyone to sign up with TMTC to help out the sport but the thought has crossed my mind a few times :) TMTC's member numbers are the lowest they have been in years. A good part of this is due to poor leadership and the overall mismanagement of TMTC lately (and mismanagement of BMRA). I had mentioned on the discussion board that I would do what I could to drum up support in TX TTORA as we have a good number of members that are active and that I felt are motivated enough to help TMTC out. I wasn't a member the last 2 years but I plan to get my membership renewed asap so I can vote in the up coming elections. A family membership for 1 year is $40. Not too much to spend to help out where it is needed most, to add a voice to TMTC and help lead it in the right direction...

Sure most of you have the web site but if you don't here it is:
http://www.texasmotorizedtrails.com/

Thanks for reading my long winded posts if you have made it this far :) Most of you that know me know that I have a good heart and good intentions even though I may be a bit off track every now and then :) When I put my efforts into something I try and give 100%. This case is no different, I am trying to do what I can to help out as it seems this is needed at the current time as far as TMTC is concerned and the state of OHV recreation in Texas...

Later all,

·
Premium Member
5,584 Posts
big words scare me. are there pictures that could help?

·
Registered
86 Posts
Last years election had maybe 150 people vote.
Trust me every vote counts tremendously when you are talking about such low numbers.
If we got all you Toyota guys to join/rejoin and vote ....we could put anyone we wanted into office.....could put a whole new swing on the Toyota Takeover 2007. :)

Hey....we got any ATV users over here.....we need a few good atv user reps to put on the ballot
Laura

·
Registered
86 Posts
Right now they are just calling for nominations and giving a list of those already nominated.
Elections will be by mail in ballot, email, and in person ending on July 28th where the votes are counted.
All members should be getting an informative card in the mail by the end of this week first of next.
anyone that wants to be on the board needs to speak up now.
Laura

1 - 20 of 22 Posts