TTORA Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok i was out in the feild yesterday and was pulling logs up out of the woods. Everything ran fine, but something smelled like brakes. I get home and spray the clumps of mudd off of it and back it up and its squeaking. So i put it in the garage and pulled the front wheels off and there was mud behind teh backing plate on the passanger side hub. So i cleaned it out and now it doesnt squeak. But it smells like burning brakes or wiring and something, while its just idleing and i cant find anything. does anyone have any ideas where it may be coming from? I is coming from under the hood i beleive, and i cant find anything, just this terrible smell. and i dont wanna chance it catching on fire unless its in the garage, cause its only got basic insurance on it, and if it burns i want it covered under our homeowners. So any help would be awsome. thanks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
bump
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,730 Posts
Slung grease on your catalytic converter from the drivetrain? I think I've had mine do that, and the grease kinda bakes on the converter and makes a burning smell.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ok thats an idea, cause i was about stuck in a 12 inch rut maybe and had the motor wrapped up pretty tight for a few seconds. how long does it take that to burn off? and would it be any different than me driving on the highway in 4wd? it wasnt spinning that fast. Any other idea?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i dont think so, my dad looked at it too and he said it smells like brakes or like a hot wire or rubber. Im kinda scared to drive her. Why does the clutch smell only happen while its like running? i can just start it and smell it. and its strong to, its sucking it through the vents into the cab.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
:soapbox:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
395 Posts
Yea, look for a wire on the exhaust manifold. The other thing to check is the battery hold down. Mine was loose and it bounced around enough to break the little connectors for the headlights. The headlights didn't work for the longest time. What a B#[email protected]% to find!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i looked at the header and all i can find is like some heat sheilding crap, but it wasnt burning or anything.i so sad:(
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,730 Posts
As far as the slung grease possibility, it won't completely burn off because it's grease... not oil. If it turns out that this is the cause, you need to wipe it off with some rags and maybe degreaser. It's easy to find too. Just climb under your truck and look to see if there is any grease on the side of any part of your exhaust path. I've found on my truck(regular cab) the grease tends to build up on the catalyctic converter because of where it's located happening to be right next to where the grease fittings are for the double cardan and U-joints at the back of the transfer case.

Does your truck make any new noises when you drive down the highway or anything?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
none at all:(
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,598 Posts
this may sound strange..........but you could be just smelling the mud burning off everything............when mud covers everything and the gets hot it will smell like something is burning..........especially if there is grass and what not mixed in


yet another reason to try and avoid mud LOL
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
227 Posts
Full_Tilt_Fud said:
this may sound strange..........but you could be just smelling the mud burning off everything............when mud covers everything and the gets hot it will smell like something is burning..........especially if there is grass and what not mixed in


yet another reason to try and avoid mud LOL
X2 on the burning mud. Everytime I get off in a mud hole, the smell of the mud getting up on the motor sucks right through the vents and smells for a few days. I would just climb up under the truck and hose off all of the mud, and do the same to the motor, and give it a few days, and see if it is still smells bad.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
33 Posts
i don't think any homeowners policy covers vehilces. you better check with your insurance broker as i think your assumption of coverage is wrong.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
rdtf said:
i don't think any homeowners policy covers vehilces. you better check with your insurance broker as i think your assumption of coverage is wrong.
it covers everything thats in the garage if there is a fire.

And i couldnt avoid the mud, i was fetching firewood:) it was fun tho:)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Dragon150043 said:
How ironic. You go out to get Firewood, and then you smell burning?!? lol
hahah never thought of it that way:)
 
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Top