TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. Planning on moving out to the awesome state of Colorado soon. not quite sure where to go yet? I think me and a friend have decided on Colorado Springs? What do you locals think? Any suggestions on where to go? of course there needs to be great wheeling...and near or not to far from a bigger city would be nice. Like within 40-50 miles. I will be in search of a Technician job, or some sort of custom fabricational work, aka working at an offroad shop or something similar.

Any info or ideas would be great. thanks to everyone.

·
Registered
4,141 Posts
Denver metro or Colorado Springs (as you previously mentioned) for close to city and job opportunities. Seems like most fab shops ore in the periphery of the big cities. You could live in between if you don't mind the daily PIA commute with everyone else who's doing the same thing, or you can live fairly reasonably in the core, but more $$ and less space (esp garage space... trust me I know!)

Grand Junction is up-and-coming, but on the western slope. Good wheeling there too and damn close to Moab. Dunno about technician work there.

Check out the trail map and you'll see it's hard to be too far from good trails unless you live way north, way south or way east:

http://www.traildamage.com/google_colorado.php

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was born in AZ, lived there for a couple years, my family moved to Eastern Iowa where i grew up, and then i moved to Chicago, where i went to attend school, and that is where i stayed for a while, and am now. So im def. ready to get out of this place and move to Colorado.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Colorado Springs is very nice. The job field doesn't seem to be any worse here than other areas of Colorado.
Is it real bad? Explain a little better please. thanks in advance. just dont want any shock when i get there that i will be working for an apple for every 40 hours i put in:)

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Denver metro or Colorado Springs (as you previously mentioned) for close to city and job opportunities. Seems like most fab shops ore in the periphery of the big cities. You could live in between if you don't mind the daily PIA commute with everyone else who's doing the same thing, or you can live fairly reasonably in the core, but more $$ and less space (esp garage space... trust me I know!)

Grand Junction is up-and-coming, but on the western slope. Good wheeling there too and damn close to Moab. Dunno about technician work there.

Check out the trail map and you'll see it's hard to be too far from good trails unless you live way north, way south or way east:

http://www.traildamage.com/google_colorado.php
Driving is not a big deal, shit i live in chicago right now...shitty i know, but i just dont want to have to drive an hour one way. I want an area with reasonably priced homes, i will be renting with a friend for the time being when we get there, but i house with a garage would be nice. and we already decided we are not living in a big city.

·
Registered
4,141 Posts
Driving is not a big deal, shit i live in chicago right now...shitty i know, but i just dont want to have to drive an hour one way. I want an area with reasonably priced homes, i will be renting with a friend for the time being when we get there, but i house with a garage would be nice. and we already decided we are not living in a big city.
It's a trade-off. I wish I had a real garage, but the only time I drive is for fun or short trips to the store on occasion. I bike/walk/light rail everywhere else, but my wife and I have work/school right downtown. Some of the housing in downtown Denver is pricey, some not, lots of fixer-uppers in cool neighborhoods. As far as the burbs go, same deal: some nice and expensive, some not-so-nice and not-so expensive and lots in between. Right now the market is ripe for buying, especially with tax incentives for 1st-time home-buyers, but I don't know what the rental market looks like. Hell, I've seen signs at the entrances to newly built subdivisions that say, "Will consider any reasonable offer!"

·
Registered
13,296 Posts
I nopticed you said you wanted to work for a shop. FYI it can be hard to get on with 4x4 shops right now. The economy has shut several down here in colorado! But colorado still has some great shops.

·
Registered
4,858 Posts
Colorado is a "lifestyle state". People often want to move here, but don't have a reason...ie a signed job offer (or at least a concrete job offer).

I'll say the same thing I say to everyone else...make sure you have a job offer before you load up.

-Sean

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for all your input. I still have around a year before this is all final. Once the time gets closer im going to start calling around to some places to see whos hiring at the time.

By the way...hows there weather there in oh say september? because i think me and my friend are going to trip it out there for a few days, but the earliest we both can get free is mid september.

·
7,735 Posts
Compared to Chicago? heavenly. That goes for any month tho. And pretty much any aspect of the area IMO.

The traffic won't be as bad regardless of where you end up. The weather is more mild, the cost of living a little lower, etc.

I've become as spoiled as most here. When I moved here and people bitched about traffic, I looked around and couldn't figure out what they were complaining about. Now that I've been here about 6 years, I bitch too.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Sorry, I don't really have a lot of information on the type of work you are looking for, but I know that some of the dealers did close with the Chrysler and GM moves last month. Housing has done ok depending on where you want to live, but you can find some very good deals. South of the Springs is a little cheaper, but also not as nice an area (Just my opinion). There are several off road shops that have good reputations here in the Springs, but I don't know if they're looking for help right now. Having a job before coming out here would be a good idea as some have already said, but if you can support yourself for a month or two it might be worth just coming and looking.

All in all, I like the Springs. I've been here for 30 years and don't see myself leaving anytime soon. I'm sure as hell not going back to CA.

September is usually not too bad. You should be able to get some trail time if you're looking for that, as well as doing some looking around.

·
Registered
746 Posts
September is one of the best months of the year up in the high country as far as I am concerned. When the aspens change it is spectacular.

I gather your skills are in fabrication and welding? If so, do not limit your job searching to 4x4 shops. In Colorado Springs there are a couple of big outfits (Western Forge and Schlage Lock) that might like your skills.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Yes, September is actually the nicest month when it comes to the weather. Not too hot, but stays warm, and not much precipitation, if any. Personally my favorite month to get out and do things!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
September is one of the best months of the year up in the high country as far as I am concerned. When the aspens change it is spectacular.

I gather your skills are in fabrication and welding? If so, do not limit your job searching to 4x4 shops. In Colorado Springs there are a couple of big outfits (Western Forge and Schlage Lock) that might like your skills.
Yeah it looks great! And yes i have skills in welding, and fabrication. Pretty much if it has to do with metal i could handle it, aside from aluminium welding, havent really got that down to the T yet. But i am a certified Toyota tech, so i was kind of hoping to stick to that, but thanks for the info, ill keep it in mind.

Compared to Chicago? heavenly. That goes for any month tho. And pretty much any aspect of the area IMO.

The traffic won't be as bad regardless of where you end up. The weather is more mild, the cost of living a little lower, etc.

I've become as spoiled as most here. When I moved here and people bitched about traffic, I looked around and couldn't figure out what they were complaining about. Now that I've been here about 6 years, I bitch too.
Yeah im thinking it cant be as crowded as chicago anywhere else, besides maybe CA or NY.

·
Registered
13,296 Posts
You are a certified toyota tech huh? If the economy pics back up we have several tech's on this board that might be able to help you out down the line at some stealerships. That is if you are ok working for a dealership. But honestly we do have some good Toyota one's here. If you have questions about being a tech here in c-rado pm thefatkid (aka Brian) he is a Master Tech at Burt Toyota, not to mention our go to guy for questions and is always helpful with oour crew. He has done a bunch of 3.4 swaps and also sets up gears for lots of club members...

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks Lysmachia,

And yes i am a toyota tech, fairly new to the field, not new to toyotas. Ive got a little ways to go untill im Master Certified, i still need to get a coulpe ASEs and my L-1, but that wont be to hard. Ill throw him a PM later on when it gets colser to the time. thanks.

·
Registered
494 Posts
thanks lysmachia,

and yes i am a toyota tech, fairly new to the field, not new to toyotas. Ive got a little ways to go untill im master certified, i still need to get a coulpe ases and my l-1, but that wont be to hard. Ill throw him a pm later on when it gets colser to the time. Thanks.

another 7m swapped truck!!!!!!! Welcome!!!!!!!!!! :d

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
another 7m swapped truck!!!!!!! Welcome!!!!!!!!!! :d
haha...oooooh yea...i swapped it into the truck last summer, got most of the bugs out, drove it around for about 3 days, and then started torching it apart for the SAS. not quite done yet, still needs some work.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts