TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone my runner died today! I believe its the alternator ! Might need help getting the parts and it together!

·
Alumnus maximus
678 Posts
you dont need parts. pull it, take it to be rebuilt for like $50 and reinstall. will take no more than 15 mins to take out and you should be able to find a place to get it back the next day,

·
Registered
821 Posts
At least we didn't have to tow two rigs down. We might have needed more duct tape:D. I agree with troy. The battery light on the dash came on for me today, its probably cuz there is so much dirt in the bay. I plan on taking it to the car wash tomorrow and hosing everything out real good. The lesson I learned on my 88 doing this was, do it on a sunny day or put a plastic bag over the distributor and alternator. If you need to get the dirt off of those, I just did it when it was sunny and let it dry, as it won't start for awhile after the alt and dist get wet. Oh and use the gentle setting at the car wash. It may not be the best way to get your engine clean, but its fast and effective.

Good luck with yours.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I am pretty sure its not the mud because i already checked all that and so did my car knowlegdeable friend...Pretty much its stealing all power from my battery...He said it wasnt anything that I would have done yesterday...

NO i really cant live with out my car...But i will have too...Because for one it died on Lincoln and Jorden and well I live on 64th and Marshall...

This has been one f***ing horrible month...2 weeks ago my tire blew...then a week later my antenna motor died...and now this and my car is 30-45 mins away...alone...and useless...I couldnt even drive around the block before I would lose all power and it would die...

Thought it was the battery checked its power...and even added water...that helped to only get it semi close to my friends house...before losing all complete power...

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
At least we didn't have to tow two rigs down. We might have needed more duct tape:D. I agree with troy. The battery light on the dash came on for me today, its probably cuz there is so much dirt in the bay. I plan on taking it to the car wash tomorrow and hosing everything out real good. The lesson I learned on my 88 doing this was, do it on a sunny day or put a plastic bag over the distributor and alternator. If you need to get the dirt off of those, I just did it when it was sunny and let it dry, as it won't start for awhile after the alt and dist get wet. Oh and use the gentle setting at the car wash. It may not be the best way to get your engine clean, but its fast and effective.

Good luck with yours.
Yeah right...lol that is good...that we didnt have too...My engine area didnt get all that dirty...though which was a sureprise...

·
Registered
4,086 Posts
You can do this in about 2 hours including time to go to the parts store. Disco the battery, unplug the connectors at the alternator, swing it down to loosen the belt. Remove the bolts and pull it out. Go to parts store, give them your core and get a new one. Reverse of step one.

Really....you can do it.... If you wanna wheel with the boys, you gotta take care of some things on your own....including driving your own rig, even under tough situations.

·
Registered
724 Posts
I've got a 3.4L alternater you can borrow if needed

·
Registered
4,793 Posts
i might have some time tomorrow to help drag it back up to arvada if that would help.... but man thats a really long drive lol

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you Kyle for your input, I have been handling this fine. I am a novice on working on cars...I was simply asking input from people who might know...if you have an issue with me asking questions thats not my problem..because I AM A NOVICE TRYING TO FIXING CARS..and i certainly dont need any pompus remarks, regarding the situation on how i handled the driving of my car anywhere and in any "tough situations"...i really find the last portion of your post un-polite it could be i have a had bad day...if so i might apologize later but who knows...

thanks to those who have helped my situation, and thanks to people who have helped me in any manner...also thanks to those who have helped out a novice on this whole working/learing how to fix my car...

mgoose thank you I might take you up on the deal i will let you know more tomorrow...you are closer to my car then me right now...

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i might have some time tomorrow to help drag it back up to arvada if that would help.... but man thats a really long drive lol
lol the towing isnt an issue my dads 2500 turbo desiel will get that done...i was more in the need of trying learn about how to fix things...i am a novice on fixing things on my car...and i just simply needed info on what i would need to fix it myself...and some guidence...

thank you so much for the offer to help get it up here...

·
Registered
4,086 Posts
Just saying its a really easy procedure...and even a NOVICE....can do this. Sometimes the best way to learn is to just do it. Ask for help when you're stuck after that. But don't ask before you have even tried.

·
7,735 Posts
Disco the battery, unplug the connectors at the alternator, swing it down to loosen the belt. Remove the bolts and pull it out. Go to parts store, give them your core and get a new one. Reverse of step one.
Kyle pretty much outlined the procedure. Here's a link to the FSM which will show you which bolts he's talking about. If you can't find the specific year of your runner, pick any of them with the same motor as yours. All the 3.4's are the same when it comes to the location of the alt (aka generator) as well as the mounts, etc.

http://www.ncttora.com/fsm/

·
Registered
15,034 Posts
Really....you can do it.... If you wanna wheel with the boys, you gotta take care of some things on your own....including driving your own rig, even under tough situations.
..and i certainly dont need any pompus remarks, regarding the situation on how i handled the driving of my car anywhere and in any "tough situations"...i really find the last portion of your post un-polite it could be i have a had bad day...if so i might apologize later but who knows...
Lover's spat maybe?

The only thing I saw missing is to use dielectric grease on the connections when you put everything back together to keep the water out.

·
Registered
264 Posts
I spotted you broken down, I didn't know it was you though since I know most of you guys are up north. What were you doin down in Parker? I didn't see anyone around though.

·
Registered
4,086 Posts
Yeah, you're a girl. No, we can't handle it. :rolleyes:
Sorry, I've been on a kick of saying how I really feel. Not usually very socially correct, but its a tough habit to break when it works so well.

·
Registered
7,910 Posts
This has been one f***ing horrible month...2 weeks ago my tire blew...then a week later my antenna motor died...and now this and my car is 30-45 mins away...alone...and useless...

LOL i wish the problems i've been having over the last month or so have been minor things such as these.

Look at the glass half full, not half empty. It does away with a lot of stress regarding situations such as these.

Good luck with the fix, my work schedule is all over the place lately but let me know if you need a hand. If i'm not working i could likely get down to that area.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts