TTORA Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 96 v6 extra cab and i never really noticed until i was riding in my girls honda today that my cab is really loud on the freeway. It doesnt really both me, but it might be nice to have a quieter cab. Has anyone every tried to insulate the cab with dynamatt or anything. Did it work?

Thanks,

Chris
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
951 Posts
I keep my floors covered with coats, tools and cassettes. But some how I can still hear my tires....Most of the exterior noise I get is through the windows..


Boheefus
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
150 Posts
I don't get any road noise in my tacoma, It could be the tires you have i have yokahama geolander at's and i have no road noise.
 

·
Going John Galt
Joined
·
31,843 Posts
CMB1998 said:
I have a 96 v6 extra cab and i never really noticed until i was riding in my girls honda today that my cab is really loud on the freeway. It doesnt really both me, but it might be nice to have a quieter cab. Has anyone every tried to insulate the cab with dynamatt or anything. Did it work?

Thanks,

Chris
back in the early '80s we had a Plymouth Champ with metal so thin... anyway... I went to the local surplus supply place and bought a bunch of 1/2" dense foam padding. I pulled out everying in the car...seats, carpet, etc. down to the bare metal floorboards. I then used spray adheasive and stuck the foam to the floor. After re-assembling everything the difference was stunning ;) I should have done the doors as well.

foam and a can of 3M #77 spray adheasive...maybe $40.
 

·
Not really here...
Joined
·
3,013 Posts
CMB1998 said:
Has anyone every tried to insulate the cab with dynamatt or anything. Did it work?
Yeah, I used a generic dynamat product called hi-temp mastic. I put a few layers on the floor and rear cab wall, several layers on the transmission hump, and a couple layers on the doors, just behind the door panel. Inside the doors I sprayed a Cascade Audio spray damping compound. Works very well. It's no Mercedes, but I've been pleased with the results.
 

·
Not really here...
Joined
·
3,013 Posts
96Toy said:
I don't get any road noise in my tacoma, It could be the tires you have i have yokahama geolander at's and i have no road noise.
There's no way you don't have ANY road noise. Unless your truck isn't moving.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
135 Posts
I second the high temp mastic, I bought some from mcmaster-carr for a Nissan Altima I used to have. Right after I bought it I noticed a lot of road noise, I covered the back deck, front doors (never got to the rears), and some additional along the trans tunnel. Road noise quieted a good bit. I read online that the biggest problem on that car is the tires, recommended Michelin, my budget never allowed for $100 tires on that little thing.

If I had to do it again I would try the "fat mat" I have seen on Ebay. Do the doors on the outer skin and inside. A layer or two on the trans tunnel and under the seats and the back wall.

If you live in Houston I have a couple of sheets left over I would donate if you let me know how it turns out. Stuff is heavy as hell and shipping from mcmaster carr was the bulk of the expense.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
460 Posts
ByrdDog20 said:
I read online that the biggest problem on that car is the tires, recommended Michelin, my budget never allowed for $100 tires on that little thing.
hafta agree on that, the only noise outa my mich ltx m/s is normal tire noise, the majority of it is from my exhaust and engine, i kinda like that sound consderin i spent almost every summer of my younger life ridin in a tractor trailer with my dad goin any and everywhere.
 
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Top