TTORA Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My friend needs to replace the head on his 2.7l 02 tacoma, burnt valve and multiple cracks. I know he doesn't want to spend a bunch, are there any reliable sources for new or rebuilt heads?

·
Registered
111 Posts
Well everyone told me not to put a used head back on because it would probably crack again since it a very common problem with the rz engine. I bought a china head through Clearwater it was around $700.

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well everyone told me not to put a used head back on because it would probably crack again since it a very common problem with the rz engine. I bought a china head through Clearwater it was around $700.
I think my friend is just going to get one through napa for $600. I'm surprised there isn't a known source for quality, reliable heads. LCE came to mind but at almost $2000 for a head I knew my buddy didn't want that.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I ordered a pair of heads from Aluminum Head rebuilders from Portland oregon recently, they will ship, but I picked up mine and dropped off, about 1.5 hours each way from my house. It's 395 per head, with a core refund of 195 there is no cracks, half that if there is. they do good work

·
Registered
111 Posts
Just a couple things I noticed on my china head was the cam retaining caps and bolts looked cheaply made compaired to the oem's, be sure to check the valve's on the bench, once you bolt those cam's in I could not get the shims out to save my life, even with the tool's the manuel gives you, now on the oem's its easy, I guess the casting is a touch different in that area. I remember finding a oem head, casting only for around $800 on line somewhere like toyotaparts.com cannot really remember though. My local stealership wanted $1200

·
Registered
20 Posts
Clear Water

x2 on Clear Water. I bought off ebay from a company called Odessa, also know as Clear Water Cylinder Head. They were out of Clear Water Florida. Very good guys to work with IMO. I bought a new head for like $600 (cant remember) and sent in my old one as a core. They have them for sale for about $400-$500 on ebay right now. Very happy. I believe the guy above me mentioned it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts