TTORA Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just finished the installation of a Toytec Spacer lift with Fabtech AAL. Just a couple of observations.

Do not fear the spring compressor if you have air tools. My craftsman $40 spring compressor performed admirably. A cheapo campbell hausfeld 1/2" impact wrench was all that was needed. Getting the Spring Compresser off the spring afterwards was a battle. I found those safety pins were a pain to unlatch at the end of the job.

For you all that life in the north, wire brush the bolts on top of the shock and shock plate before you try to remove the nuts. The first side I did I thought I would never get the stupid nut off the top of the shock (4 years of road crap and salt). I tightened it up; wirebrushed it and WD-40'ed it and it came right off. The second side took half the time.

As for the AALs, man you do have to watch that brake line, remove the mounting bracket so it doesn't over extend.

And by the way....THANK YOU...Lurking here has been the best source of information.

Anyhow....We shall see exactly how stiff a ride it is...

·
Registered
121 Posts
what size was the lift?
Did you change your rear shocks?
Does it sit level?

·
Registered
294 Posts
RItaco said:
Just finished the installation of a Toytec Spacer lift with Fabtech AAL. Just a couple of observations.

Do not fear the spring compressor if you have air tools. My craftsman $40 spring compressor performed admirably. A cheapo campbell hausfeld 1/2" impact wrench was all that was needed. Getting the Spring Compresser off the spring afterwards was a battle. I found those safety pins were a pain to unlatch at the end of the job.

For you all that life in the north, wire brush the bolts on top of the shock and shock plate before you try to remove the nuts. The first side I did I thought I would never get the stupid nut off the top of the shock (4 years of road crap and salt). I tightened it up; wirebrushed it and WD-40'ed it and it came right off. The second side took half the time.

As for the AALs, man you do have to watch that brake line, remove the mounting bracket so it doesn't over extend.

And by the way....THANK YOU...Lurking here has been the best source of information.

Anyhow....We shall see exactly how stiff a ride it is...
Its great to hear everything went smooth on the install! If you find some time, please email us over a few pix of the new lifted ride. [email protected]

Chris

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes, the truck sits level. I measured from the top of the wheelwell to the center of the hub and the ground. The only number I remember is from the ground at exactly 38" front and back. (new 265/75R16 BFG AT)

I ordered the 3" kit from Toytec, but didn't install the top plate. I chickened out at the last minute and only went for 2.5" of lift. I figured that would be that much better for the CV boots. In the back I installed the 2" Fabtech AALs and ProComp 3000 shocks. So far the ride is a bit stiffer, but lets face it even stock the tacoma is no caddy.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Very Cool.. this is exactly what lift I'd like to get for my 2004 DubCab. What shocks did you use in the rear? I noticed on ToyTec's site that they had two different choices of shocks if you bought the complete kit -- and also a choice between a Procomp AAL and a Fabtech AAL. Which kit did you use? Any rubbing with the 265/75/16s? these are considered a 32" right?

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
RItaco said:
In the back I installed the 2" Fabtech AALs and ProComp 3000 shocks. So far the ride is a bit stiffer, but lets face it even stock the tacoma is no caddy.
I have the ES3000's, and they do ride very stiff. One of my friends has bilsteins, and the difference in ride is like night and day. Mine is bone-jarring on potholes, but his just rides over them. As for me, $$$ is the issue.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I suspect your right...drove the truck around tonight and the bone jaring "ness" is definately coming from the rear axle. So I will put enough miles on them to justify replacing with bilsteins I guess.

·
Registered
54 Posts
right now i just did the revtech 3" spacers in the front and blocks in the rear with 24" fully extended skyjacker nitro shocks and mine rides so much better than it ever did..since the rear is a solid axle the bone jarringness compared to the cadillac ride is all in the shocks

·
Registered
109 Posts
drinkintedbr said:
I have the ES3000's, and they do ride very stiff. One of my friends has bilsteins, and the difference in ride is like night and day. Mine is bone-jarring on potholes, but his just rides over them. As for me, $$$ is the issue.
what kind of bilstiens does he have? stock? hd? 5100?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Cornfed vs ToyTech

Any feedback between the two? Differences, Cust. Service, A year or so ago, all you heard when it came to spacers was Cornfed.
Thanks

·
Registered
17 Posts
I am looking into lifting my truck and lack the funds to do an expensive lift. I am looking into spacers in the front and AAl in the back from what I have read so far. I have used the search button for hours and am not finding a comprehensive guide to what has to be done, the degree of difficulty of the work, or the differences in the lifts.

Did you have to change out any other objects in addition to the parts included in the kit? Exactly what else has to be done in addition to putting on the spacers and aal's in the back?

·
Registered
196 Posts
hey red i just finished mine about two weeks ago. i had the same questions that you did and the guys here walked me through it. i got the three in spacer and the 2.5 aal for my 96 ext cab. i did the install myself but i wished i had been more informed before hand. some people write that they did the install in two or three hours. not me. i consider myself pretty handy with the wrenches but its the little things that slow you down. its not just a jack it up and slap her in type deal. like i said its the little things. first you got to have a way to jack up the truck high(safely) enough to let the front suspension come to a full drop. removing the front coils is simple. three bolts on top and one on the bottom. simple. there was a sheet of copied paper in my kit that showed how the spacer needs to be aligned with the strut. there was nothing that told me how to re-attach the strut back on the truck.i had a bag of bolts but nothing that stated what to do with the bolts. i didnt know that you did not re-use the stock top plate. i didnt know how nor was i told in the instructions how to re-install the strut. i could eaisly see how the bottom worked but not the top. i had to figure that out on my own. like i said its the little things. i had no idea other than a bad copied picture of how to install the brake valve bracket. i had no idea that after in-stalling the 2.5 aal on the ext cab that it was going to vibrate like a rock tumbler. i never knew i was going to have to shim carrier bearing down two inches to make it stop. little things. remeber this, once you lift it it will never be the same again. i dont care if you put it back bone stock after a lift, it will never be the same again. i am very satisified with my lift and would not change one thing. i learned alot about my truck by doing it myself. you can do it yourself just take your time. remember this, take the coils to a shop and have spacers installed. take that copied sheet of paper with you so you can show the guy how you need it put back together and aligned. belive me, if they have never seen it before they will look at you like you are crazy. take a few hours and ride around to different shops and asked if they have ever installed a spacer before, not heard about it, but actually done it. if you need help shoot me a pm and i will try to help. this is a great place to get the help you will need. :)

·
Re-Member 9/11
292 Posts
b4rtm4n said:
Any feedback between the two? Differences, Cust. Service, A year or so ago, all you heard when it came to spacers was Cornfed.
Thanks
There is no comparison between the 2 companies IMO. Toytec customer service, availability, and shipping are unequalled. Chris and Doug at Toytec care about every sale and customer as if they were your long time friends. This is my personal opinion, and I don't mind sticking my $.02 for a good company that deserves the recognition.
Bill

·
Registered
23 Posts
Okay guys, I got one for ya. Does anybody have a 3" spacer lift on a '01 or newer truck with the automatic disconnecting differential? I read on a tech board at downey that anything over 2" of lift on a ADD equipped truck will cause the CV's to shake your ass off the road.

I have an '02 and was planning on a 3" spacer like either Toytec or Cornfed but now I'm nervous. I don't do any hardcore stuff with my truck, I just drive backroads and dirt trails. If anybody else has a setup like this let me know if it's as bad as downey says.

·
Registered
808 Posts
Smith4190 said:
Okay guys, I got one for ya. Does anybody have a 3" spacer lift on a '01 or newer truck with the automatic disconnecting differential? I read on a tech board at downey that anything over 2" of lift on a ADD equipped truck will cause the CV's to shake your ass off the road.

I have an '02 and was planning on a 3" spacer like either Toytec or Cornfed but now I'm nervous. I don't do any hardcore stuff with my truck, I just drive backroads and dirt trails. If anybody else has a setup like this let me know if it's as bad as downey says.
It depends on each truck....I have the revtek 3" spacers on my '03 D-cab and my CV's are fine. I have had it on for 12k miles now and no issues. I have also put on the diff drop kit (which is suppose to help the cv angles) but noticed very little improvement over the existing angle. Did it more as piece of mind. There are problems with the spacers though. It does settle quickly, though I forgot to measure whn I first got it done, I gaurantee I have lost a 1/2" or so from settling. The ride will aslo be more stiff vs. stock.

·
Registered
808 Posts
Forgot to mention, really can't put a beefier (heavier) front bumper on either (like ARB) it will drastically change the ride quality of your truck.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts