TTORA Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey all,

i have been comparing lift options and im finding two different types...

-the type that requires the coilover to be taken apart and put a spacer in there such as the toytec and revtek lifts

-the type that is a solid spacer that fits on top of the coilover, not requiring disassembling the coilover such as ready lift etc.

some folks on here have mentioned vibrations possiby coming from the spacers on top of the coilovers, but others have said that they dont think the vibes are coming from there.

i would like to get the spacer that fits on top because its super simple to install, but what are the differences?

this is a prerunner DD, which wont be wheeled or "prerun" just DD duties, just trying to enhance the looks, and im used to sittin up hi in my jeep.

-Tim

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
For looks, usually your best option is to visit a site that focuses on looks, such as customtacos.com. They have both dropped and lifted trucks there. However for spacers (which catch alot of shit here) your best bet is probably toyteclifts.com. They have a preload type (under top plate) and an additional over top plate design, which seems to work best for general use. For the back, avoid blocks. Seriously. Grab alcan AAL or a full spring pack.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
For looks, usually your best option is to visit a site that focuses on looks, such as customtacos.com. They have both dropped and lifted trucks there.
no need to condescend, i was just being honest im not going to be wheeling this rig, its 2wd and IFS...

However for spacers (which catch alot of shit here) your best bet is probably toyteclifts.com. They have a preload type (under top plate) and an additional over top plate design, which seems to work best for general use. For the back, avoid blocks. Seriously. Grab alcan AAL or a full spring pack.
anyways, since the spacers catch a lot of shit here, there must be some disadvantage to them...so i will assume the preload type are a better type of lift. i was looking at the toytec lift because i like the Alcan AAL better than the aluminum blocks that the Revtek kit uses.

-Tim

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
IMO, since this is a mall cruiser and 2X, the top plate spacer or pre-load and top plate should work just fine for you. You will only need a 1.0 inch block in the back to level the truck. Stay away from an AAL for the street duty, it's not nessesary and will stiffen your ride. Plus, if you stick with a 1.0 block, you can use the stock shocks and save money. This is my best advice considering this is a poser rig and does not see OR duty.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Haha, I was being nice since we tend to avoid flaming in the newbie tech section. Poser rig indeed.

LOL

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Stay away from an AAL for the street duty, it's not nessesary and will stiffen your ride
hmm, thanks for the tip, i havent used an AAL before, but i put full spring packs on my Jeep and it was pretty stiff, i like the softness of the stock taco springs, so ill think about that option.

IMO, since this is a mall cruiser .....this is a poser rig and does not see OR duty.
um i have a hardcore trail pig sittin in the yard at home...i wouldnt really call this one a poser rig, its a DD.. but even if it was 4x4, it wouldnt be up to the crawling that i do...

coming from my background building jeeps, i understand that the people who are wheeling and building and fabbing shit for thier trucks are the truly knowledgable ones, that is why i came to this site and not customtacos.com cuz i dont want bs info

all i wanted to know is why are the top spacers any different than the preload spacers...not somebody raggin on my new taco....

-Tim

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Well what I said assumed you knew diddly squat. Not that owning a heep is much better (hey it's a toyota site afterall, deal with it ;)) but I don't think I was very condescending. No matter anyways, doesn't bother me.

I don't know if the new tacos have inherited some of the problems of the old, but on 04 and below, axle wrap was an issue at stock configuration and it got worse when you slapped blocks in. Again, don't know if that is an issue now, but it's worth looking into.

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Dude no insult intended. I'm sure that you are a very capable off roader. You asked questions regarding DD type of truck with poser duty...that's what we call lifted DD's in here. For that type of use, the advice I gave you was relevant. No, blocks are not a good solution for moderate OR use, but will work just fine for street duty applications. This is assuming that you are not a highschool kid who flips on the locker and does brodies in the walmart parking lot at 3:00AM.:)

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Dude no insult intended. I'm sure that you are a very capable off roader. You asked questions regarding DD type of truck with poser duty...that's what we call lifted DD's in here. For that type of use, the advice I gave you was relevant. No, blocks are not a good solution for moderate OR use, but will work just fine for street duty applications. This is assuming that you are not a highschool kid who flips on the locker and does brodies in the walmart parking lot at 3:00AM.:)
hey sorry for misreading your post, this one has a smiley in it, so i can tell you come in peace haha.

i am still thinking AAL for the rear just because if i lift it i will be going up to 32s or maybe 33s, and this taco only has two leafs and an overload so im not sure about how axle wrap will affect it...if i decide to smoke some tires it will be the dinky 245s that are on there now...i cant afford to smoke BFGs lol

but my original question still remains, i can see that the top spacers are frowned upon around these parts, but why? is it because they are aluminum? do they crack? do they vibrate? now im just curious.

i have pretty much decided on the toytec lift that is a combo preload and top spacer lift with alcan AAL in the rear...

-Tim

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
They don't like them because you don't get as much flex in them. That and some people say the stiffer springs rattle their teeth out. I have a horrible back and I don't have any problems with mine though. It's a truck, it's gonna ride rough. I'm ok with that. And it's not that rough. They don't typically crack or anything like that either.

·
Registered
444 Posts
from my extremely limited knowledge, here's what i got to offer....
top load spacers (ez lift and what have you) MAY hyper extend ball joints at full droop... no need to worry about your cv's because you don't have any...

pre load spacers will take up all the "progressive" in your progressive rate spring, thereby leaving you with just the stiff stuff.

i used to have a rev-tek, took it out because it was really stiff, and i was tired of blowing cv boots....

as for the back... small block or a shackle to maintain a comfy ride.

my input costs nothing, and may be worth that much :D

i've seen trucks with a rev-tek pre load spacer in the spring assembly AND a fatty top load spacer sitting on top- he must've been netting close to or over 4" of lift, no reported problems on a non-wheeled prerunner.

~aloha~

·
Registered
36 Posts
Hmmm.

Well, count me in as one of those "posers" who like the look of a lifted Tacoma. I would venture to say that the majority of people with a lift and bigger tires are concerned just as much with looks as they are off-road performance. Sure, there are plenty of die-hard off-roaders here, but not everyone relishes the idea of beating their $30,000 truck around in mudholes and rocks.

Like TJ's, Tacos look MUCH better lifted and with meatier tires. They look the way a truck is supposed to look.

In regards to your question, I too conteplated between the Toytec spacer and the top-mounted spacers sold on eBay. I eventually bit the bullet and opted for 884 coils up front and an AAL in the rear. If you're worried about compressing the springs, just have a local shock shop do it for you. I had my whole kit installed for $150.00.

And as far as AALs making the ride stiffer, I honestly can't tell a difference with mine. I think you'll be happy with a coil setup.

·
Registered
808 Posts
From what I understand, 1/2" top load spacer is the most you would want to go (like from the revtek kit), more than that will cause problems. As for inspring spacers, they work just fine. You do get what you pay for. The ride is stiffer and may cause your front springs to sag quicker...especially if you wheel it at all, but it's the cheapest way to obtain a lift and by all means, the ride isn't horrible just much stiffer. As for the rear, blocks are the cheapest, but again you get what you pay for. Make sure they are solid steel (actually haven't seen the aluminum ones in a while). Though they can noticeably increase axle wrap. AAL's will increase the stiffness in the rear...in my old '04 I had the Revtek upfrontm AAL and Shackle in the back with Rancho 5k shocks. Needless to say it rode like doodoo.

IMHO, if you are on a tight budget, I would look at the OME set up (like Jeepdad stated). I haven't ridden in one, but have heard postive reviews for the price.

Oh and "we" all don't call lifted DD's poser rigs, just some do. I use to DD my rig to work and take it to the trails.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I got my spacer lift from http://www.cornfedsuspension.com/ back when I was in college and for the money its hard to beat. I haven't had any problems out of it. The ride is good and I have no complaints. I went with 3inch spacer up front and the add a leaf in the rear with Ranchos all around. They have great service and a good product.
That having been said my rig is a daily driver. However it is also my trail rig. I wheel the crap out of it and I haul all kinds of stuff with it and I've never had a problem with it. I went with cornfed because at the time they were one of teh only games it town. Toytech is a knock off in my opinion, but maybe this will help your research

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.