TTORA Forum banner

So how bad to spacer lifts suck?

• Not Bad

Votes: 33 75.0%
  • Really Bad

Votes: 3 6.8%
  • Worst thing I could have done for my truck

Votes: 2 4.5%
  • I was a complete moron for going the cheap route and I screwed up my truck for buying these things.

Votes: 6 13.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
OK, how bad do they really suck?

I've heard nothing but trouble with these components, are they really that bad? Do they get unjust hype or are they Satan's invention for a Tacoma?

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
I don't care how much shit gets thrown out about spacers, i like mine. They came on the truck, and I haven't seen a big deal enough to take em off. Before anyone goes off about coil overs and what not, just know that I spend 75% of wheelin in my taco, 20% in the camburg long travel taco, and 5% in a hoed up taco. Yes they are both badass, and would kick my ass haulin assover stuff, but i am up here in the snow and rocks, and I have yet to have a complaint about the spacers. Hell they get me down to the river in the morning just fine, and i push through the deep ass snow here everyday with no probs. And ask any of my buddies on here, i put them sum bitches through hell :D

I do say if ya got the money, go with coil overs, but shit, i don't think spacers are that bad. :cool:

·
Retired
4,641 Posts
I think people that complain about them need to reconsider the value and how they actually achieve lift.

They are cheap and the ride is not that bad. Mine served me just fine for two or so years.

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
This is all the haulin ass over un even terrian i need... this is a daily thing going down to the fishin hole...

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
hell, they even et air too! landin isn't like my buddies trucks, but hell, i landed it and kept truckin on... :driving:

·
Registered
156 Posts
Flame away, I actually really like my spacers. To be completely honest, on the road, I didn't notice much if any change in ride quality after I installed them. Off-road over bigger bumps/holes, they are a bit stiffer, but not all that bad. I live in Jersey and am not going to put a $1000 set of coilovers on my truck with 6 months of salty roads every winter, so I have been kicking around OME coils, but to be honest, I don't really see the need, these ride fine, and I can clear 33's with this set up without a problem, which is what I was going for. When the stock springs start to sag too much from always being pre-loaded from the spacer, I'll get new coils, until then, 2 1/2" spacers it is...

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Pretty much, plug-n-play. No problems what so ever for the past two years. They have performed as advertised. I bought them more as a leveling device, than a lift device. :2cents:
I will upgrade to performance CO's when I lift the back as well in the near future.

·
Banned
136 Posts
...huge difference in ride quality...after having spacers for over a year i switched to fabtechs, then king coilovers, both coilovers rode exactly the same, which is stiff, and the coil spacers rode just as bad, it doesnt matter how you lift your stock suspension, it will ride bad if you stiffen it up. think about it, your using a spacer to take the downtravel out of your suspension. your stock suspension has 4 inches of down travel, your taking 3 inches of downtravel out with the spacers, your truck has an inch of play in the suspension. your trucks gonna ride rough. oh yea i have a 6 inch trailmaster, extended kings cranked up, and a body lift, with 39.5s, it rides exactly the same as it did with 3 inch body, 3 inch coil spacers, and 35s ;)

someone once told me that trd models ride worse with spacers than non trd models because the coil springs are stiffer, can anyone verify this? because mines a TRD...

·
Registered
663 Posts
Revtek. 7 years of wheeling without issues and the performance has been excellent.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I've got the 3" revtek deal. Its rough as hell but then again I'm running shitty rancho 5000's too. Going to switch to OME shocks. Otherwise I'm happy with the look and price. I won't do c/o's since I live in Alberta and deal with 6 months of salt and sand.

·
Registered
663 Posts
I have Fagtech coil-overs in my garage but I'm not going to use them anytime soon because the truck, with the Revtek spacer lift, is performing the way I want it to, both on the trail and road. Upward travel on the front leaves about 2" to spare before the tire eats into the fender and at full droop the coils don't rub the knuckle. I removed the sway-bar over four years ago and I noticed that off-road performance went up a lot.

I have the manual hubs and have never broken a CV axle due to my wheeling and in the past I wheeled two to three times a month without problems.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I made mine for 2" lift (1" tall) and am happy with them. My reason for a lift was to that there would be enough clearance for snow chains. It may ride a little stiffer, but not much. It is top load on non-trd struts and coils. I have had it for 2 years and love it.

I have no doubt that coilovers are better, but I have $25 in my lift, and can't justify hundreds for coilovers.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
This thread is very interesting. Since posting on this board, this is the first time i hear people saying positive things about spacers. Now i don't feel bad anymore :D

At the beginning, i thought that the stiffness of my ride was just because of the spacers. So I was a little :mad: ! Then I thought that with a 1K coilover the ride would be as smooth as a car. Well, later on in this board i heard people saying that their ride was stiff with coilovers as well, even with DR coilovers.

So now I'm even more :confused:, and I guess my spacers are OK then :)

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
meithkiller said:
Revtek. 7 years of wheeling without issues and the performance has been excellent.

Are you the one with a bunch of miles on your truck?

Did you ever experience any slight issues with the ballljoints after running spacers for so many years?

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
I used the toytec spacer combo with alcan AAL in back and love it. I got the cheap ass procomp shocks too in back, with the non-trd struts up front. I have no complaints, because I've ridden in alot worse. I can drive for hours, in a stock seat with no extra cushioning, with stock struts and spacers, and not have any problems. And I have bad scoliosis to boot.

·
Registered
808 Posts
I had them and didn't care for it. I had an '03 d-cab w/ the Revtek. The lift settled almost 1.5", the ride was harsh and forget about puting an aftermarket bumper upfront. Also consider what you paid for your truck. I look back and think I paid $25k for a new truck then wanted to put the cheapest lift available on it.

However, it is a very inexpensive way to obtain lift and it does work with very little issues.

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
I have spacers on both of my newer toys. The 1" spacers on my wifes runner have been on there for 18 months, and no issues. Ride didnt even change. And the 1" looks so much better.

I just put a 1.75" spacer combo on my 07 this morning. 1" of lift from the spring spacer and .75" from the top plate spacer. So in essence I only have 1" for ride purposes, so the ride will remain unaffected as in my 4runner.

Regardless of if you run hoes, spacers, or stock you have the same amount of clearance for tires, assuming you wheel your truck. As you lift it all you do is increase ride height, but the pivot point and bumpstomp location remains unchanged. Around town you may feel like you have more clearance, but that disappears as soon as you start flexing. The stock ride is really nice, so unless you do high speed desert running you probally dont need coilovers. The maintence is higher just like the cost. You may get a little more droop, but I got .75" from my top plate spacer so thats a null point. I have found that this forum is very hoe oreinted, but thats just a trend.

As far as setteling that will not be the result of the spacer lift, cant be. Its the OEM springs setteling. I bought a spacer lift becuase it is the best option for me, and maintains everything that came from the factory on that 30K rig, just a little higher.

·
Registered
387 Posts
I have 2.5 inch ToyTec spacers and I don't think the ride is bad. I have some OME 881 I was going to put on but the spacers are working out OK so I don't know when I will put the 881 on.

·
Registered
2,790 Posts
No problems at all with the 3" Toytec. I couldnt tell a difference on road before/after, but offroad performance and looks are great considering the price and being on a college student's budget...

1 - 20 of 37 Posts