TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
779 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been runnin around with my spare locked down to my bed for quite some time now and was looking at my options for relocating my spare tire. I need the bedspace for cargo and occasionally dirtbikes. My bed is bobbed 13" so bed space is scarce as it is( no hitch/tow package :mad: ) and already have my hi lift mount along the bed... A buddy of mine was saying he had seen a custom fabricated rear bumper with a tire carrier that swung out to open the tailgate. (much like those on today's SUVs) but he could not recall if they were mass produced or completely custom. I just recently read a forum with someone discussing the option of holding a 39" tire up front on a stinger?? :confused: That doesn't sound to practical to me.. any help is appreciated.. thanks guys

-Alex

·
Registered
56 Posts
If you have a swing out tire carrier how are you going to fit dirt bikes? Ramp them up on the roof? I can't even fit a 125 in my truck with a full bed, let alone a bobbed one.

·
Registered
32 Posts
With a bobbed bed, you probably still wouldn't be able to fit a bike in it with a mount like that. For that price,you could buy a trailer hitch and a trailer just big enough for a bike or two.

·
Registered
779 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
:confused: my bed is now the size of a double cab's (96 ex.cab). Thanks for the help guys I am going to look at all my options.. put a hitch onto my truck? order a new rear bumper from CBI and beef up the rear? :confused:

·
Registered
779 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
MonroeTaco said:
With a bobbed bed, you probably still wouldn't be able to fit a bike in it with a mount like that. For that price,you could buy a trailer hitch and a trailer just big enough for a bike or two.
Oh, i will have pics up soon in the thread, but i just got back from haulin a ktm 200 in my bed... (without the spare)

·
Registered
531 Posts
I was dealing with the same issue myself at one time. I decided to go for the spare tire mount. It's connected to the bumper (so no reinforcement to the frame is necesary). . . .

There's also another option. . . . You can modify the spare tire mount underneath the truck to fit a 35" tire. It just barely fits between the shackles. That's what I use for the street. (It's too hard to see out the rear view mirror when the 37" is attached to the back.)

One time I installed and tested the 35" spare to see how it feels. I was surprised that I couldn't even detect the difference while driving around (even at 60mph+). So I think it's fine as a spare until you get home. The only thing I was told to avoid is using the locker with it on because there can be issues when the diff is locked and the two wheels aren't the same size. So I don't know if it's a good idea to go wheelin that way. . . .

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
Revivalist said:
It's connected to the bumper (so no reinforcement to the frame is necesary). . . .
Revivalist- There's an issue with trucks older than 2000...? that the frames weren't strong enough for something like that mounted all the way at the back of the truck...the frame would bend behind the cab (on the upward part of the rear frame)... frame plates are suggested for those earlier trucks...and it isn't a bad idea for later one's as well...

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
Mr Tacomi said:
Revivalist- There's an issue with trucks older than 2000...? that the frames weren't strong enough for something like that mounted all the way at the back of the truck...the frame would bend behind the cab (on the upward part of the rear frame)... frame plates are suggested for those earlier trucks...and it isn't a bad idea for later one's as well...
agreed

On that note Demello makes frame reinforcements plates to beef up the frame

·
Registered
6,347 Posts
Revivalist said:
It's connected to the bumper (so no reinforcement to the frame is necesary). . . .

Sorry, but you are wrong about that. The 2000 frames are weaker than the 01-04 frames, but the 01-04 frames also bend with weight on the ass end of the frame. Adding frame plates such as those that DeMello Offroad, CBI and others sell will make the frame stronger. I wouldn't run a bumper mounted spare with out them, you are risking bending your frame.

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
Wgasa84 said:
Sorry, but you are wrong about that. The 2000 frames are weaker than the 01-04 frames, but the 01-04 frames also bend with weight on the ass end of the frame. Adding frame plates such as those that DeMello Offroad, CBI and others sell will make the frame stronger. I wouldn't run a bumper mounted spare with out them, you are risking bending your frame.
Even with Jason's frame plates, I would not run that kind of spare tire carrier. Running through the lake bed at 50+ mph and bouncing around like we do is just asking for trouble. That tire is a 100lb projectile waiting to unleash its carnage. Pull the bed, box the frame at then you might be able to carry something like that without damaging the truck . . . if you don't warp the frame while boxing it. These are not Jeeps!!

Just my opinion.

Tim

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
Revivalist said:
I was dealing with the same issue myself at one time. I decided to go for the spare tire mount. It's connected to the bumper (so no reinforcement to the frame is necesary). . . .
:lmao:

·
Registered
779 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
here is my truck with the bobbed bed fitting a ktm 200 with the tailgate down... it will fit a yz 125 with the tailgate up no problem... see why I need to relocate my spare now?? I do this almost evry weekend now.. 4 tie downs..super securejust no spare while hauling (for now) :mad: notice the tie downs on the sliders... love it!

·
Registered
779 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
{PMS}fishy said:
If you have a swing out tire carrier how are you going to fit dirt bikes? Ramp them up on the roof? I can't even fit a 125 in my truck with a full bed, let alone a bobbed one.
IDK what you are talking about a 125 fits in my truck with the tailgate up and a toolbox in the back w/ the bed bobed 13"..?? hmmmm but oh well, i still need to find an alternate spot for the spare... it needs to move!

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
A-GUEST said:
IDK what you are talking about a 125 fits in my truck with the tailgate up and a toolbox in the back w/ the bed bobed 13"..?? hmmmm but oh well, i still need to find an alternate spot for the spare... it needs to move!
My only suggestion is to look out for a light boat trailer that you can add a couple of light crossmenbers to and channel for your bike. I did the same thing when I was 15 and I had help from my brother that welded 3 chanels for my YZ125, my Harley Sportster and my Yamaha 250 enduro. It held up very well so I'm sure your's will for just 1 bike. Then just keep your tire bolted to the bed. Just my :2cents:

·
Registered
779 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
bray said:
My only suggestion is to look out for a light boat trailer that you can add a couple of light crossmenbers to and channel for your bike. I did the same thing when I was 15 and I had help from my brother that welded 3 chanels for my YZ125, my Harley Sportster and my Yamaha 250 enduro. It held up very well so I'm sure your's will for just 1 bike. Then just keep your tire bolted to the bed. Just my :2cents:
thanks for the help... you have any pics by chance?

·
Registered
2,244 Posts

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
A-GUEST said:
thanks for the help... you have any pics by chance?
No, I'm sorry. That was 1985 so you figure how old I am but all we had back then were Poloroid Instamatics. LOL!

1 - 20 of 59 Posts