TTORA Forum banner

Spare driveshaft mount.

2K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  briansc33 
#1 ·
I need to figure out a way to mount my spare driveshaft in my bed, and I am looking for ideas.
I've seen people weld it to there roll cage, which I thought was a pretty good idea, but I don't carry a grinder in my trail rig, and don't have one of those fancy ext cages.
I've got some 16g sheetmetal that I thought about cutting into 3" x 14" strips, and just form it around the shaft and bolt it to the bed, but that seems kinda lame to me.
Do any of you guys have pics of how you mounted you spare D/S? Hell do any of you even carry a spare? Pics or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

#2 ·
would 2 or 3 or these work? quick fist clamps

idk how strong they are but it seems like they would work. i have seen people use bungee cords as well, but that idk about that. the sheet metal strips isnt a bad idea though

#6 ·
briansc33 said:
Yes, I do. They are demello's that are tucked up tight though, so there is no place to mount them on top. That and I think that it would be a PITA mounted there.
there still should be room under the rocker panels.

but...I just throw mine in the bed :p wait...I don't have one anymore....using it for a front DS ;)

I vote for those fist clamps to a roll bar/cage like Shane does.

#7 ·
ABS Pipe and two caps for the ends. As far as attaching it to your truck I've seen people without a bed liner use some flat iron bolted to the underside of the side rail and sliding a hose clamp behind then attaching the ABS pipe to it. A lot of people use the pipe for extra cv's, driveshafts, cheater bars, etc. Looks nice to and up out of the way.

#11 ·
Damn! That's a good idea! I don't know why I did'nt think of that because that's how I used to carry my level's and plans in my work truck. Thanks for the reminder.

I just used some of those quik fist bolted to the bed right in front of the tool box for know (we'll see how they hold), but I'm probably going to go ahead and go the ABS route later on.

#8 ·
Do you have room under your toolbox? I got one of those long tupperware things that are about 6" high. I have my driveshaft, axles, etc. in there. Slides right under the toolbox and gets wedged in by the spare tire.

Later,
....Mike

#12 ·
MIKE!! Long time no hear.
No, I don't. My toolbox mounts to the floor of the bed and sits flush with the rails. If I had a toolbox like yours that sat on the rails that would be a great idea. Gotta love tupperware and rubbermaid products.

#10 ·
I like the ABS idea, just bolt it to the bed/toolbox/whatever and cap one end. Have the other end removable and voila! Keeps is protected and out of the weather, but if you want a more temporary solution, just use the quick fist clamps or some hose clamps mounted somewhere.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.