TTORA Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it possible?

Ok, well I got my 7100's in to where I thought they would be most effective. But------now the spare tire doesn't have enough room. If I push the stock tire all the way back to where it is hitting the back of the reciever hitch, I have about 1/2 inch clearance off the shock bodies. Not enough.

I noticed that Demello does the upper mount on the outsides, and the axle mounts towards the center of the differential. Is this to get the spare under the bed? Or does it still not work? I know its all a compromise unless I want to cut holes in the bed, and extend the shock mounts. :welder:

Any ideas, or am I stuck at building a external bumper carrier?

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
I'm in the same boat as you. For around town, I'll rely on AAA. But I am making a carrier for the spare, and gas cans to replace the tailgate out back for my trips. I'll fill the under bed space with a small air comp./tank, and an extra 10-15 gal gas tank. I'll put a remote pump to transfer fuel to the stocker. Gotta do something with that space....

·
Going John Galt
31,839 Posts
Toyota4ever said:
Is it possible?

Ok, well I got my 7100's in to where I thought they would be most effective. But------now the spare tire doesn't have enough room. If I push the stock tire all the way back to where it is hitting the back of the reciever hitch, I have about 1/2 inch clearance off the shock bodies. Not enough.

I noticed that Demello does the upper mount on the outsides, and the axle mounts towards the center of the differential. Is this to get the spare under the bed? Or does it still not work? I know its all a compromise unless I want to cut holes in the bed, and extend the shock mounts. :welder:

how did you mount them? pics? so, you have the towing pkg rather than just the bumper mounted ball?

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Its a work in progress, but this is where I am at right now with the build up.

·
Going John Galt
31,839 Posts
Toyota4ever said:
Its a work in progress, but this is where I am at right now with the build up.
Ok, from what I've seen on other rigs the upper mount is usually quite farther forward than what you have. A new bed crossmember is welded to to the frame for the upper mount points with the shocks angled slightly forward rather than back as you have them. this will sometimes but not always allow room for the spare. With what you have now you need a bed mount ;)
the shocks look good though.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The thought of moving the top mount further forward would bring the shock bodies closer into the axle tube, and create havoc with the emergency brake cables on a double cab. It would probably work on a extra cab with the cables mounted low and not on top of the axle tube.
Right now the shocks are angled back 20 degrees like the stock shock was in relation, but also 20 degrees inside to outside if this makes sense, from the cross member to the axle. I'm thinking of changing the mounts from going from the outside instead of the inside of the crossmember?

·
Not really here...
3,013 Posts
Toyota4ever said:
The thought of moving the top mount further forward would bring the shock bodies closer into the axle tube, and create havoc with the emergency brake cables on a double cab. It would probably work on a extra cab with the cables mounted low and not on top of the axle tube.
Right now the shocks are angled back 20 degrees like the stock shock was in relation, but also 20 degrees inside to outside if this makes sense, from the cross member to the axle. I'm thinking of changing the mounts from going from the outside instead of the inside of the crossmember?
Here's a good solution to that problem:

http://www.parksoffroad.com/tacoma mods/lift/rear shocks and mounts/shocks mounts.htm

·
Registered
2,393 Posts
Toyota4ever said:
Is it possible?

I only do it that way when people want to retain there stock tire mounts. But honestly It's just b better to ditch the tire mount down there and move it to the bed!

·
Going John Galt
31,839 Posts
Toyota4ever said:
I'm thinking of changing the mounts from going from the outside instead of the inside of the crossmember?
would that really make that much difference?

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for being honest Jason.
I have been under the impression that you want to keep less than 20 degrees of angle on the shocks in any direction, and to have the shocks outboard on the axle as far as possible in a perfect world to be most effective. Honestly I thought about the shocks and the mounting a lot, but not the spare tire.
Its been a little tricky keeping the shocks under 20 degree slopes, and still allowing the 12 inch travel 7100's to stuff the tire all the way to the bump stop.

·
Registered
2,393 Posts
Toyota4ever said:
Thanks for being honest Jason.
I have been under the impression that you want to keep less than 20 degrees of angle on the shocks in any direction, and to have the shocks outboard on the axle as far as possible in a perfect world to be most effective. Honestly I thought about the shocks and the mounting a lot, but not the spare tire.
Its been a little tricky keeping the shocks under 20 degree slopes, and still allowing the 12 inch travel 7100's to stuff the tire all the way to the bump stop.
I'll be honest again, it's not the easiest thing to do, thats why we charge so much for the install! We angle the shocks both in and back and play with mounting positions to get it just right! John (my fabricator) has gotten really good at it! When it's all done you should have 11.5in of bump to bump travel and you should have about .5in of shaft left at full bump and almost 1in of shock left at full droop! Make sure you run limit straps and bump stops.

Any more questions let me know.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Limit straps are not necessary for the shocks according to Bilstein unless there is commom full travel experience such as desert racing. Rockcrawlers exempt because of occassional use.

I have had a lot of people mention the limit straps--is that because of the chance of the driveline pulling out or the shock precaution?

·
Going John Galt
31,839 Posts
Toyota4ever said:
Limit straps are not necessary for the shocks according to Bilstein unless there is commom full travel experience such as desert racing. Rockcrawlers exempt because of occassional use.

I have had a lot of people mention the limit straps--is that because of the chance of the driveline pulling out or the shock precaution?
this thread has gotten too confusing, LOL who are you asking?
Limit straps up front are a good idea if you go with extended shocks like the special Donahoes that are meant to be used with Camburg Uniball uppers. They are there to help keep the inner CV axle joint from popping out of its casing in extreme conditions. I lost one with OE A-arms and OME shocks (they are about 1/2" longer than stock).

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
About this Discussion
13 Replies
6 Participants
hytenor
TTORA Forum
TTORA forum is the best Toyota off-road club around. We are nation wide with chapters in most states. Come in and discuss Tacoma, 4Runner, Highlander, & TRD models.
Full Forum Listing