TTORA Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm considering simply mounting my spare tire into my bed to keep it secure...any opinions? Maybe someone knows something that would make that a no-go?

·
7,735 Posts
the only consideration is how/where you mount it in the bed. A few folks mount it dead in the center, but in my opinion, that makes the bed pretty much worthless for hauling anything. You can stand the tire up on end along a side, which isn't bad. For me, I just let it float (not really mounted) and just run tie downs to keep it from moving around when I'm on the trail.. then again, I don't really worry about anybody stealing it out of my bed.

·
Registered
6,489 Posts
i have mine strapped down half on the passenger wheel well and half in the bed. run a chain through it to keep people from stealing it. Thats where it lives and where it is when i wheel.

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
I have a late model too and when I get a new wrap around high clearance bumper the tire is going to have to go in the bed. I am considering this bad boy:

http://www.tiregate.com/bed_mount_0.shtml

Only I don't want to mount it to the bottom of the bed but vertically to one side of the bed or my tool box if I can. It has the cable lock in the mount itself and the Y bar screws into the mount and out so when you remove it, it stays relatively flush.

·
Registered
5,094 Posts
BEWARE ON THE TIRE GATES:
ive seen them tear the sheetmetal beds apart on full size, all steel truck beds, i cant imgaine what it would do to a composite bed.

i built a tire carrier for a guy on here oakleytrd that mounted to the side rail system and anchored thru the floor. it did pivot, had room beneath it for storage. but it was heavy and he only had a 33" on a steel wheel on it.
id really try to build the tire holder/carrier on to the bumper, or frame mounted some way

just my :2cents:

·
7,735 Posts
I guess it would depend on what style of wheeling you do.

If you're into exploring forestry service roads/camping, it would be a good choice.

Light rock crawling, it would be ok.

Big rock crawling, it would be a problem.

Mall crawling, 100% approved, but needs some chrome or teflon :D

I think sometimes some (alot) of us assume everybody plays in the big rocks and forgets that some people really just want to go explore the maze of dirt roads (forestry service, logging trails, etc).

·
Registered
4,793 Posts
ive had mine mounted in the middle of the bed up on an angle for years now... under the tire was always convenient for throwing small stuff back there to keep it out of the wind and such. but leaves and other shit accumulate there way too easily. i just moved the tire to between the passenger wheelwell and the back of the bed and honestly im not sure what to do with all the space, that and suddenly i can see stuff in my rearview again...

so put it wherever you want lol, im keeping mine behind the wheelwell though

·
Registered
390 Posts
I think sometimes some (alot) of us assume everybody plays in the big rocks and forgets that some people really just want to go explore the maze of dirt roads (forestry service, logging trails, etc).
So very true, and well put.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'm pretty well rounded in what I like to wheel, I do avoid the big rocks though;) . I was talking to a buddy of mine with a metal background, and I'm drafting up some plans....the USAFA has a shop with apparentley everything one would need for $3.00/hr. :welder:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts