TTORA Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was changing the plugs and wires on my wifes camry, which are located in the valve cover, and set down about 3". From years of changing plugs and getting the plug socket stuck on the plug after installing. I put a little WD-40
in the socket so that it comes right off after the plug is tight. On the Camry I can't use the socket and extension to start the plug because it will fall off.
So I was changing the wires anyways so I cut the boot off the wire, and now I have an extension in my tool box to start my plugs with. and its solid so its easier than a piece of tubing.

Woody

Attachments

·
Registered
149 Posts
All you have to do is wrap some electrical tape around the extension and socket. This will prevent the socket from coming off the extension. I'm not clear on exactly what you did, but if it works for ya....

·
Premium Member
2,256 Posts
All you have to do is wrap some electrical tape around the extension and socket. This will prevent the socket from coming off the extension. I'm not clear on exactly what you did, but if it works for ya....
x2, and make sure your spark plug socket holds the plug well.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
do you see the boot in the pic above, its plastic except for the boot itself.
I just cut that from the rest of the wire and its maybe 4" long and easy to use in the camry or my 4runner. I know what your both saying, I just think its easyer to see the whole plug when trying to start it. the socket covers the whole plug except the threads.

any way just thought I'd thro it out there

Woody

·
Registered
82 Posts
I use a piece of rubber fuel line about a foot long. It snugs right on the plugs but gives just enough that it won't let you cross thread.

I always had a problem with the socket sticking to the plug after tightening it, pulling the socket from the extension with no way to get it out. Now I have two sockets one with the rubber boot inside to hold the plug in the socket while taking it out and one without the boot for putting them back in, just get it started with the fuel line then use the socket without the boot to tighten and the socket comes right out without sticking to the socket.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts