TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have Denso Iridium IK22s, on a supercharged 3.4. I have a 300 302 and 305 engine misfire code. I went to gap (because of other thread recomendations) from .030 to .040 and I couldn't get it to budge to gap. Anyone else have this problem?

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I mean that the plug seems to be extremely solid, as in I can't get it to budge. It came pregapped at .030, tried to get it to .040 but I was afraid I'd bust the top. At $10 a pop, I don't want to do that.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
"Sam, I'm running IK20's set at the denso factory gap of .32. Truck runs fine with those plugs. As of now, I see no reason to go to the IK22's. FWIW, Denso says "do not attempt to change gap on Iridium spark plugs". I read this in a bulletin at the dealership when they installed my 7th."

I got this off a different thread.

·
609 Posts
Supramann93 said:
"Sam, I'm running IK20's set at the denso factory gap of .32. Truck runs fine with those plugs. As of now, I see no reason to go to the IK22's. FWIW, Denso says "do not attempt to change gap on Iridium spark plugs". I read this in a bulletin at the dealership when they installed my 7th."

I got this off a different thread.
That was TRDolman Dave who is running the 7th injector, not the full URD system. Those plugs are hotter and are supposed to be set to that smaller gap. IK22s are different temp wise and are gapped bigger. I have gapped about a dozen sets of IK22s and not had a problem with any of the prongs.

Matt

100 Posts
Supramann93 said:
I have Denso Iridium IK22s, on a supercharged 3.4. I have a 300 302 and 305 engine misfire code. I went to gap (because of other thread recomendations) from .030 to .040 and I couldn't get it to budge to gap. Anyone else have this problem?
Are you getting misfire codes because of the denso IK22's being set at .30? or because of other spark plugs? or what?
I have IK20's set at .032. been in there for a year or more. have very, very slight pinging under load going up hills in New york. been thinking of changing over to IK22's but my truck sure does howl and mileage is good and no pinging in Florida.
TRD S/C, 7th injector, URD controller, headers, trd cat back and air filter, 2.2 pulley, 190 pumper, anti roll traction springs, kyb shocks, no toyota emblems and assorted other stuff. oh, yeah....tuned by Jose using all kinds of electronics

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I believe I am getting the code because there is not enough space in the gap. The Ik22 piece that is usually adjustable seems to not be. And Trdolman was talking about the Denso warning sign of adjusting the gap on IRIDIUMS to not do it.

100 Posts
I would go to the Denso website and email them or phone. Have heard both sides of gap or not change gap on Iridiums. The mechanic at Toyota here advised he did not have a tool to gap them and they were pre gapped. my truck runs great so i am not messin with them for a while. Lots of S/C fans have denso plugs. If DCABTACO is still on the board you can pm him. He will help you if posssible. Good Luck.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Q. How do I gap Iridium plugs
A. Before attempting to gap any DENSO Iridium Power spark plug, please review the specification chart to see the factory-preset gap. In most cases your Iridium Power plugs do not need to be gapped. Even with small variations in the factory set gap the ultra-efficient firing power design will compensate for those small variations. Should you decide to re-gap your Iridium Power plug, use extreme caution as improper gapping may damage or destroy the Iridium center electrode or porcelain center. To increase the gap size: Step 1 Use needle nose pliers or spark plug gapping tool to bend the ground strap up to the desired height. DO NOT LET THE PLIERS OR GAPPING TOOL TOUCH THE IRIDIUM CENTER ELECTRODE OR PORCELAIN. Step 2 Re-check the gap with a calibrated gapping tool. To decrease the gap size: Step 1 Use the same method as above, however bend the ground strap down to the desired height. DO NOT LET THE PLIERS OR GAPPING TOOL TOUCH THE IRIDIUM CENTER ELECTRODE OR PORCELAIN. Step 2 Re-check the gap with a calibrated gapping tool. WARNING: Failure to follow these directions may permanently damage the spark plug. Note: Never use a round gapping tool to check the gap or to increase or decrease the gap setting.

Found this on Denso website for anyone else with the problem I have. Thanks RedMarlin and everyone.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
They come pregapped at .032 inches.

·
I LIVE FOR THIS
1,700 Posts
I guess when installing them as is by the time it reaches the factory gap setting they should run smooth all the way through their life span. I gapped my IK20's but next time ill leave them alone.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ARB1977 said:
I guess when installing them as is by the time it reaches the factory gap setting they should run smooth all the way through their life span. I gapped my IK20's but next time ill leave them alone.
:confused:

100 Posts
Thanks Supra....Good information. I have to believe my mechanic knew they were ok as is and did not want to take a chance messin with them. Don't know who figured it out that the wide gap on the IK22's was best. I think some even wide gapped the IK20's. Maybe URD tested them on a dyno? I am still at factory rec setting of .032 and have no complaints but will try the 22's next spring before I hit the mts, and see if it stops the tiny bit of pinging I have up there. Good luck and let us know if the codes went away with the wider gap....I think that is important to know. Richie

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
ARB1977 said:
Ok ill say it nice and slow for you. If they come with a smaller gap as they start to wear that widens the gap closer to the factory spec.
There is a lot of material there that resists wear Idon't think it would ever hit .040 just by wear alone.

·
Registered
836 Posts
Were would I pick up a calibrated gapping tool for these IK22 plugs?
I just used a cheap wire gapping tool from Autozone. You definately need to check the gap from the factory on the Iridium plugs. I assumed mine were good, but after about 1000 miles I decided to check for myself, and found the gaps all over the place. They ranged from .022 to .036. I set them all to .043 and the truck has been smooth ever since.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Definately gap to the .040-.043 range. I still (in warmer weather) throw a misfire code. I will be gapping again in the spring time. Just be extremely careful not to break the iridium tip (very brittle).

1 - 20 of 20 Posts