TTORA Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So the speedo on my new taco is off, and its driving me NUTS.

The speedo reads 2mph more than the GPS at any speed. I know, not the norm as its usually a %age. So I checked speed with my SGII, the ECU puts out the correct speed, and the odo clocks it correctly. The speedo readout it self is just off. Can these be calibrated by toyota?

·
Going John Galt
31,845 Posts
ah64id said:

The speedo reads 2mph more than the GPS at any speed. I know, not the norm as its usually a %age. So I checked speed with my SGII, the ECU puts out the correct speed, and the odo clocks it correctly. The speedo readout it self is just off. Can these be calibrated by toyota?
good question..I doubt it can be calibrated unless they have come up with something new for the '05+ ECUs.
Factory speedos, in general, have a 5% error rate either up or down.

and...it may be from the tires since each brand of the exact same size is actually quite different ;)

·
Registered
600 Posts
Also what's the %error in the GPS? They're not perfect, but the military ones are close.

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Gallium said:
Also what's the %error in the GPS? They're not perfect, but the military ones are close.
GPS speeds are very accurate, it's the coordinants that are off. Non military GPS is only good for a range of 30-50 feet of the actual location. This is mandated by the federal government. The military gets the knats ass model. Mine is off also, but it is a combined issue regarding factory calibration and larger tires. You probably just have to live with it.

·
Administrator
95.5 Tacoma
18,420 Posts
ah64id said:

My 2006 Mini Cooper has an error of about 3mph on the speedo. My fiance's 2001 Mitsubishi Galant has an error of about 2mph on the speedo.

Time to up the meds since its a problem with most cars and there isn't much you can do about it.

·
Registered
680 Posts
mojavegold said:
.......Non military GPS is only good for a range of 30-50 feet of the actual location. ......
Not any more...... Lat/Lon should be spot on. They still fritz with the altitude though....

It's very common for stock speedo's to read a little high. Just the way it is.

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
When my speedo says I'm going 70, my GPS says 68.

I don't sweat the small stuff, and get on down the road with it.

If I had to guess, I would say that I believe the GPS more than the truck's speedo.

·
Registered
2,696 Posts
fear said:
Not any more...... Lat/Lon should be spot on. They still fritz with the altitude though....
You are right, and I'm sure Chief has some sweet gear in his Apache, but for us grunts on the ground we don't even use issued pluggers (gps). Civillian ones are lighter and more accurate.

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My concern is that the truck knows the correct speed. The speed on the SG is the same as the GPS. The odo works as it should, its just the analog speedo that is off.

I wonder if they could figure somehting out after all the recent lawsuits over incorrect speedos :D

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Because of the way that GPS's calculate the speed, there is an error automatically built in. The only true way to test your speedo's accuracy is to use mile markers.

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
mudferret said:
Because of the way that GPS's calculate the speed, there is an error automatically built in. The only true way to test your speedo's accuracy is to use mile markers.

Well the GPS matches the ECU, and mile posts.. All 3 are the same, its only the analog gauge that is off.

·
Administrator
95.5 Tacoma
18,420 Posts
ah64id said:
Well the GPS matches the ECU, and mile posts.. All 3 are the same, its only the analog gauge that is off.
Like I said before, just get used to it. You will have a slight variance between when your tires are brand new and when they are almost worn out. Granted this is like 2-3% error, it is yet another factor that causes your speedo to be inaccurate.

You could always ghetto fab one of those GPS speedos that are made for boats into your truck. :p

·
Registered
322 Posts
2 mph at any speed means the needle is off a bit on the shaft. Mine reads like yours, Scanguage, GPS, milemarkers are all right on but speedo reads 2 mph high. It's not worth tearing the dash apart for and wasting a few hours of my time over, that's for sure.

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
bluzharp said:
2 mph at any speed means the needle is off a bit on the shaft. Mine reads like yours, Scanguage, GPS, milemarkers are all right on but speedo reads 2 mph high. It's not worth tearing the dash apart for and wasting a few hours of my time over, that's for sure.
Yeah, I am 100% its the needle. I will probally let toyota tinker with it when it goes in for something. I wouldnt mind if its 2mph off if it reads slow, but it just drives me nuts reading fast.

·
Registered
278 Posts
ah64id said:
Yeah, I am 100% its the needle. I will probally let toyota tinker with it when it goes in for something. I wouldnt mind if its 2mph off if it reads slow, but it just drives me nuts reading fast.

You are Soooooooo a pilot! You fly boys get mad hung up on the details :rolleyes:

PS. When are you installing the monocle operated fog lights! :D

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
kapelusprime said:
You are Soooooooo a pilot! You fly boys get mad hung up on the details :rolleyes:

PS. When are you installing the monocle operated fog lights! :D
You know after the GPS MPH comment I was going to say that my personal GPS matches speed to the knot at 130+ with the onboard GPS with military codes installed. I am going to say my GPS gives me a VERY accurate speed.

And I am going to try to get it fixed, the ECU is correct so the damn gauge should be :D

·
Going John Galt
31,845 Posts
ah64id said:
You know after the GPS MPH comment I was going to say that my personal GPS matches speed to the knot at 130+ with the onboard GPS with military codes installed. I am going to say my GPS gives me a VERY accurate speed.

And I am going to try to get it fixed, the ECU is correct so the damn gauge should be :D
yea, let the dealership take it appart and adjust the thing. ;)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts