TTORA Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
guys, i need some help, i've been troubleshooting the speedo on my SAS'd 96 4runner. it's a 1982 waggy D44 up front, 3.4 V6, 5spd... i've replaced the speed sensor in the tranny, and i've followed wires for days trying to isolate things, but no luck. i've been seaching fro wiring diagrams but can't find my exact setup without buying books on ebay. i need help, or ideas!! thanks.

John

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
not sure about the 5 spd models but my speedo ran off the front wheel speed sensors so I had to wire them into the rear speed sensors

·
Registered
565 Posts
The speedometer in the 96 Tacos was via a cable. It can break. Are you sure you have a electronic wire to the back of the instrument cluster? My 1996-1998 Tacoma/T-100/4Runner Haynes Manual show if could be either a cable or a wire plugged into the t-case and going to the instrument cluster..... :rolleyes:

If it is a busted cable replace it, ~$50 at the stealer, if you do it yourself...a lot more if they do it.

If it is a wire just trace it from the t-case to the back of the instrument cluster, replace or rewire if it is broken, or grounding out.

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
The speedometer in the 96 Tacos was via a cable. It can break. Are you sure you have a electronic wire to the back of the instrument cluster? My 1996-1998 Tacoma/T-100/4Runner Haynes Manual show if could be either a cable or a wire plugged into the t-case and going to the instrument cluster..... :rolleyes:

If it is a busted cable replace it, ~$50 at the stealer, if you do it yourself...a lot more if they do it.

If it is a wire just trace it from the t-case to the back of the instrument cluster, replace or rewire if it is broken, or grounding out.

He has a 4Runner. Not the same as the Taco's.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

yeah, i'm all wires over here, no cables! i tapped off the driver's rear sensor into the driver's front harness and no change... i think i'll try to run it to the plug that's hanging on the passenger side and see if that helps. if not, then it's possible the sensor in the instrument cluster itself is faulty, but i have no way to prove that yet...

thanks for the input though guys.

any more ideas, just send them this way!

John

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
you have to wire both speed sensors or it wont work. Drivers rear to drivers front and pass. rear to pass. front. Its dead without it all hooked back up.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
just to let you know and thank those that helped, my speedo is now working! i found that the previous owner had resistors shoved into the connectors where the front speed sensors once were. not sure if this ever worked or not, but it's nice to see it working now.

i did just as MOSSY suggested, wired the rears to the fronts, and BLAMO!

Thanks Mossy

John

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
no problem, I had the same issue. Hunt4steve pointed me in the right direction. Now we just have to figure out what to do when the rear speed sensors are gone.

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
yea, Id still like to have the orig. speedo working though

1 - 12 of 12 Posts