TTORA Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
so arent the spindles cast? welding onto cast isnt always the stongest... oh well

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
Yeti said:
so arent the spindles cast? welding onto cast isnt always the stongest... oh well
If forged or cast, it CAN be done. Make sure of a good fit, #1. #2. A good deal of preheating is required. Clamp all pieces together, best as can, and use torch to preheat to around 400f-600f. Or, hot as all, yet not red hot. If no way to clamp, pre heat as you can in small areas, and spot weld the parts in several spots. Then, keep it HOT, and weld it up. Move the heat around, don't concentrate it on one line only... it may warp, though doubtful. Then, do nothing. Let it cool down on its' own, just like chromo. If you cool it with water, you can cause some brittleness and spot hardening/ quenching. Not the best.

·
Registered
257 Posts
OK theyre not cast, makes sense to use something not brittle in such a critical part. I just thought they looked like it. But I want to add that when your welding cast you want to hammer the hell out of where you weld right after you set the rod down to take the stress out of it.

·
Registered
48 Posts
bullshit they arent cast, how else do u get a piece of metal like that in mass production????? surely they arent C&C'ed and they deffinately arent forged thats way too expensive. gg. Welding to cast isnt the safest thing, just look at the ibeams of an older ranger in big letters it says DO NOT WELD OR HEAT or something like that.

·
Administrator
95.5 Tacoma
18,483 Posts
x0ffr0adtac0x said:
total chaos came out with gussets that weld on to your stock spidal which beef it up a little more and they are $25 for the pair
Welcome to last year! TC has offered the spindle braces for quite a while now. This is nothing new.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
ShowStop said:
Welcome to last year! TC has offered the spindle braces for quite a while now. This is nothing new.
Exactly. I was just thinking...." Then how the hell have mine been on for 6months already".... :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts