TTORA Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whats everyone's opinion on putting a spool in the rear on my 87'? Its not my main daily driver and I feel that that would be a good cheap option for traction now..
http://www.trail-gear.com/locking-differentials

Trail gear has one for $130

·
Registered
438 Posts
Its not my main daily driver
Do you mean it's not your daily but you do run around town in it some, or it's really only a trail rig but do drive it to most trails instead of trailering it?

I've never run a true spool locker but I've had my Detroit for 4-5 months now and I'm really glad it's at Detroit, not a true spool. Although I do feel it lock and unlock quite a bit driving around town, I don't really chirp tires around corners and haven't noticed any excessive tire wear yet.

But while my 4Runner isn't my daily driver, I do drive it around town on the weekends quite a bit. Personally I wouldn't want a true spool in the rear, but I think how/where you drive is a big part of that decision.

:2cents:

·
Registered
734 Posts
I had a spool on my 85' 4Runner. It did great. I had zero problems with it. It sucked in parking lots though. Thought I was going to break an axle just trying to park. Lauren loved it because of the noise the tires made when parking. Sounded like a horrible accident was happening.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Mike - I drive the runner around town sometimes when I don't feel like warming up the diesel. Also I drive the runner to local trails but borrow a trailer for longer trips until I can buy a trailer in the summer. I do have my dads 06 runner off and on to DD.
I'd rather save money for a trailer and buy a spool since the runner will be more of a strict trail rig in the future.

·
Registered
4,770 Posts
My buddy has one in his runner and says it sucks in the snow and is putting an open diff back in for winter.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Mike - I drive the runner around town sometimes when I don't feel like warming up the diesel. Also I drive the runner to local trails but borrow a trailer for longer trips until I can buy a trailer in the summer. I do have my dads 06 runner off and on to DD.
I'd rather save money for a trailer and buy a spool since the runner will be more of a strict trail rig in the future.
Makes sense, driving around town will be interesting, but as long as that doesn't bother you it is an inexpensive way to get better traction off road.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Makes sense, driving around town will be interesting, but as long as that doesn't bother you it is an inexpensive way to get better traction off road.
Yea I'm leaning towards getting one because of the value and since I don't have to depend on it for a DD

·
#1 cruiser
3,660 Posts
I run a spool in the rear. Actually I like it. Its not the most road friendly but I dont mind the tires chirping around corners. Backing up feels different. Your turning radius will be longer. After you get used to it snow isnt too bad. I can drive up hills without 4wd. Would I do it all over... Yes I think I would. Its almost impossible to break. Cheap and reliable.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I run a spool in the rear. Actually I like it. Its not the most road friendly but I dont mind the tires chirping around corners. Backing up feels different. Your turning radius will be longer. After you get used to it snow isnt too bad. I can drive up hills without 4wd. Would I do it all over... Yes I think I would. Its almost impossible to break. Cheap and reliable.
Thanks for the input Dan, seems like I could get used to it.. not really too worried about the tires chirping on the street

·
#1 cruiser
3,660 Posts
There are few things I know a lot about. So I help where I can. :D
I only drive it in the bad storms in winter or to the gas station. Mostly because the death wobble sucks and I have no exaust. When it was first built I drove it everywhere.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
1 - 13 of 13 Posts