TTORA Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
I usually just throw it on there making it evenly cover the drum as much as possible, although right now i have about 20 ft of line resting on the bumper to lazy to wind it up all the way, used it a lot this past weekend.

·
truck ~n~ tow
10,917 Posts
I have a rope protecter (sleeve) that I layer (weave ?) on the spool first... from left to right and visa versa... continuing thru out the ropes length length... until the last layer... trying always to do the layers as tightley as possible by hand...

I re-spool it after every run (if used)...

Then it is ready to go when the time arises... ;)

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
Here's my experience...

1. My friend spooled out 50-60 feet, winched off the obstacle, and spooled it back in, with no regards to how it was wound.

2. Next time we used it, we only spooled out 20-30 feet, and made a few hard pulls. Wound it back up and hit the trail.

3. The next time we used it, we spooled out 80 feet, and noticed a funny flat spot in the rope. We questioned it, and proceeded to pull the truck out (which was bad stuck). Well, the rope snapped at the funny flat spot.

We realized that when we did the hard pulls at #2, the rope wasn't wound properly from #1, and pinched the rope and put the flat spot in it and weakened the rope.

Since then, we've spliced the rope (cool process) and respooled it nice and neat, and vowed to always respool it correctly. :cool:

·
Registered
208 Posts
Here's my experience...

1. My friend spooled out 50-60 feet, winched off the obstacle, and spooled it back in, with no regards to how it was wound.

2. Next time we used it, we only spooled out 20-30 feet, and made a few hard pulls. Wound it back up and hit the trail.

3. The next time we used it, we spooled out 80 feet, and noticed a funny flat spot in the rope. We questioned it, and proceeded to pull the truck out (which was bad stuck). Well, the rope snapped at the funny flat spot.

We realized that when we did the hard pulls at #2, the rope wasn't wound properly from #1, and pinched the rope and put the flat spot in it and weakened the rope.

Since then, we've spliced the rope (cool process) and respooled it nice and neat, and vowed to always respool it correctly. :cool:
Thanks for the tip man! I guess I better go do mine properly because I can't afford to buy a new line right now if I break this one.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts