TTORA Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, so the OME rear springs are too long for the pre '98 Tacomas. I need to move the spring hangers, obviously. I was thinking I needed the back hangers (closest to the tailgate) I ordered them and what I received is the front hangers. Is this correct or is it the rear hangers that I really need? I am thinking if I mount the front hanger it is going to move the axle too far forward. Am I correct in the guess? Does this make sense to anybody? Any ideas or anybody that has done this? Thanks in advance!!

·
Registered
42 Posts
OK, here's a guess. If you're going to use longer springs you're going to need to change both mount points or you will be moving the axle either forward or back depending on which stock point you use.

ie: if you fab up a new mount for the rear spring hangars and use the stock front mount point, you will be moving the axle to the rear.

I have a '96 and have been considering OME stuff, but they don't make springs for us. I would look into having my springs done or check out the wheeler springs before I started trying to fit the longer springs to the truck.

Doug.

·
Premium Member
3,511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Here is my theory. I am going to move the rear hangers, this weekend. I wish I had a picture so you could see this. Right now, the springs are too long at the rear hanger. I have long shackles to "reach" backwards to meet the eye of the spring. This is taking away from my up travel in the shackles. I hope you can picture this. If I move the rear hanger back to reflect 54" (the distance from bolt to bolt on '98 and up) the new OME shackles will hang correctly as designed for a 98 and up model. Follow me? Anyway, I'll let you know how it goes!

·
Premium Member
8,407 Posts
It went great.

He's got a 97 Tacoma and was running 98 and up OME rear springs w/ a Daystar greaseable shackle. The springs rear eye reached well past the mount on the frame causing the shackle to lean too far forward like: \ But more than I can illustrate here.

So when he compressed the rear suspension it was no time before the shackle hit the frame and stopped any articulation.

He took it to PORC in Athens, GA and they relocated the rear (duh) upper shackle mount. They moved it further back on the frame. Thus causing the shackle to become more verticle. It works, I dont know if he has any b4 and after pics. Maybe he can post some up.

As to your previous post

If you're going to use longer springs you're going to need to change both mount points or you will be moving the axle either forward or back depending on which stock point you use.
In his case (too long OME springs/Daystar shackle), moving the mount only changes the angle of the shackle, it swivels on the rear eye of the leaf pack, it wont push or pull the leaf pack as you guessed.

I wouldve answered a lot earlier but I never knew Alan posted this here. But I figured I answer since I know it did work out.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts