TTORA Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
...a continuation of a discussion about trails in the Lovell Canyon Road area from the Rocky Gap Road Run (03/18/07) thread.
mr4x4 said:
...next weekend is the out going officers run for vegas valley and Ive been asked to try and find an extention that is close to potato ridge just to keep every one out longer
jayfredweb said:
Are you looking for new trails? ...

There is another trail, i think just past the turn-off to Potato Ridge. I believe it's FR 538. I've been on it once, but there was snow on the ground so I did't get as far as I wanted. My neighbor who works for the BLM (His job is to drive 4x4's and Atv's on all the trails in Nye County to map them on GPS. What a job!!) tells me that the trail eventually goes over the mountain top to another mud hut. That's worth exploring someday!!
mr4x4 said:
was that trail a left right before the ranch

there is a trail on potato right after the gate on top of the hill wheres that go a camp fire ring or does it come out somewhere
Right before the ranch... Yes I believe that is what I'm talking about, however not the trail that goes over to Trout Canyon!

I've never tried the route off of Potato Ridge that you are speaking of. I think someone in our group has explored those. I remember hearing on a past run that they just loop around, but I'm not sure. Aren't they blocked off with boulders anyway?? The BLM and Forest Service's way of naturally saying "Road Closed".

You pretty much have free reign to explore on the West side of Lovell Canyon Road except maybe in some of the burn zones from the Lost Cabin Fire. But to the East, you are right on the boarder of the National Wilderness Area. You can get into a lot of trouble if a ranger catches you in a motorized vehicle on a closed route in the Wilderness Area. Potato Ridge doesn't officially go through any wilderness area. Basically it just serves as the border of two. La Madre Mountain Wilderness to the North and the Rainbow Mountain Wilderness to the South.

·
Registered
219 Posts
ok we just need anouther rout to ad on to potato ridge just to make it longer
potato is so packed down that its a matter of a couple of hours to get through

lst year we drove up lovell wash before we whent through potato but still we got done about 3 pm

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm sure you have thought of this already, but you could add FR 550 and FR536 (The road at the end of Lovell Canyon Road that goes to Trout Canyon). It's long, but there's nothing technical about it. I'm not sure if there are any optional side trails that are more technical? The only time I've driven it was about two weeks after I bought my 4runner. I wasn't looking for anything difficult! There are a few side trails off of the FR550 as you head towards the Trout Canyon community, but they basically are just short hill climbs to a summit, and thus a dead end.

If only you could continue up Lovell Wash!! FR 104 is only about 3 miles up the wash. FR104 would take you to Harris Springs and then you could get to Rt157 just East of Kyle Canyon. Just dreaming?!?! Can't we go back in time and suggest to someone, that they build this trail?

·
Registered
219 Posts
it would be nice if the mud hut trail when all the way through on the gps its only about a half mile from a trail in lovel canyon

last year we took lovel wash from 160 the turn off for the lost cabin spring
all the way to lovel canyon then took potato ridge I think we had like 40-50 rigs

you guys can come out with us next weekend

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
mr4x4 said:
it would be nice if the mud hut trail when all the way through on the gps its only about a half mile from a trail in lovel canyon

last year we took lovel wash from 160 the turn off for the lost cabin spring
all the way to lovel canyon then took potato ridge I think we had like 40-50 rigs

you guys can come out with us next weekend
That's basically the route were taking tomorrow. Let me know if you find any other alternate routes.

Also let us know about next weekend.

-jason

1 - 5 of 5 Posts