TTORA Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, hope someone can help out. I own a 2004 tacoma trd dblcab, and recently I noticed that the rear left side is sagging a bit, I actually measured both the left and right side and it seems that it is sagging almost an inch compared to the right rear. Is this a worn out spring or shock, or do I need to replace both. Truck has around 81,000 miles on it. I live in socal high desert in the wonderful city of Hesperia, so I constantly drive on dirt roads or on streets lined with pot holes.:rolleyes: I don't think I can really afford to replace entire rear suspension right now so if I can go with one or the other it would be best.

·
Registered
707 Posts
Taco lean is a normal thing. It is due to most of the weight being on the driver's side. (you, battery, gas, and on 4x4's all that junk and more).

You likely would benefit from shocks more than anything just because of the terrain you drive and mileage on the clock. This will however do nothing for the infamous taco lean.

There are Zero Rate type lift blocks that will get you that inch back. These are cheap and are an OK bandaid. Usually these are not recommended.

You could experiment with the pack its self. Add leafs from other packs, or use a 1" AAL. Better then the block option, and still pretty cheap.

Custom leaf packs that are L/R specific seem to be what I see recommended most around here.

A bit of searching will net you more results than you care to read on this.

·
Going John Galt
31,839 Posts
Hey everyone, hope someone can help out. I own a 2004 tacoma trd dblcab, and recently I noticed that the rear left side is sagging a bit, I actually measured both the left and right side and it seems that it is sagging almost an inch compared to the right rear. Is this a worn out spring or shock, or do I need to replace both. Truck has around 81,000 miles on it. I live in socal high desert in the wonderful city of Hesperia, so I constantly drive on dirt roads or on streets lined with pot holes.:rolleyes: I don't think I can really afford to replace entire rear suspension right now so if I can go with one or the other it would be best.
shocks have nothing to do with the sagging...all they do is dampen the springs.
you can get the springs re-arched but that will only be a temporary fix.
@ 81k your OE shocks are probably done as well...mine lasted 21k. :rolleyes:
There are very few options for replacing rear springs with something that retains stock height...OE (not advised), re-arch will added leaf (arched to stock height) or custom leafpks.

·
Registered
540 Posts
shocks should not effect ride height if that helps

·
Going John Galt
31,839 Posts
1 - 5 of 5 Posts