TTORA Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
458 Posts
RadRyan(Fabwerx) said:
What do you guys think of this? This is all pro design. Thinking of making something similiar for my new axle. Pros/cons?
http://www.allprooffroad.com/images/stories/suspension/spring_stack_l.jpg
I don't like them and wouldn't run them on anything that isn't trailered. Whats the benefit? 1/2" - 9/16" more ground clearance? Less to get hung up on? (damn those ubolts are really slowing me down)... For me the supposed benefits don't outweight the security of having ubolts.

But if you do make them, make sure that you put another piece down the center that sits on top of the axle tube. Otherwise you will crush them.

later!
shane

·
Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Grade 8 bolts are cheaper then ubolts and easier to replace. Thats the only advantage i see. If idid make them they would be out of half inch. still think they would crush?

·
Registered
458 Posts
1/2" probably wouldn't crush but I would still put something underneath the perch. Not a whole lot of work to do it and if they did crush you would be kickin yourself for not doing it ;)

·
Good For You
3,442 Posts
I've got them. Couldn't tell you one way or another which is better. Mine have the center support. Unless a weld was to break, I don't see any issues. The u-bolt style is tried and true for many many years though.

·
Registered
6,892 Posts
X2 - going from a u-bolt that wraps around the axle to a plate on top of the axle with 4 bolts going though isn't going to be as strong or hold as well.

gambrinus said:
I don't like them and wouldn't run them on anything that isn't trailered. Whats the benefit? 1/2" - 9/16" more ground clearance? Less to get hung up on? (damn those ubolts are really slowing me down)... For me the supposed benefits don't outweight the security of having ubolts.
later!
shane

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
I agree 100%. They have never looked safe to me.

Yogi

gambrinus said:

But if you do make them, make sure that you put another piece down the center that sits on top of the axle tube. Otherwise you will crush them.

later!
shane

·
Registered
572 Posts
I've got'm, have run'm hard for 6 years. They work great when turning an axle to get proper pinion angle. They currently have over 50,000 miles of abuse from a spooled rig.

I use grade 5 bolts, and welded the nuts to the bottom of the plate. I check the perch bolts and front u-bolts after every hard run, and have never found the rears loose. Ever.

·
Registered
415 Posts
I like U-bolts ............ If you want to swim against the current, try reinventing the wheel first :welder:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts