TTORA Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody know the spring rates (front/rear) and whether linear or progressive for 2005+

TRD off-road
TRD sport
standard SR5

I typed in "spring rate" in the search engine and no specific titled threads came up, although I may have missed it buried in other threads.

thanks

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
okay, the no-replies is either two things

1. newbie question and the answer is readily available - I pre-searched "spring rates" and found burried in some threads some older tacoma #'s, but nothing on 05+. If this info is readily available, please direct the newbie to the location.

OR

2. nobody knows?

thanks

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
The Offroad is progressive. I have no idea about the Sport, and yes that is the reason nobody is replying because it has been covered hundreds of times.:D

·
Registered
407 Posts
The Offroad is progressive. I have no idea about the Sport, and yes that is the reason nobody is replying because it has been covered hundreds of times.:D
Absolutely....with no definite or affirmative answer as to rates. Best estimate is 420-480 lb/in for the TRD OR (unless I also missed it or it's a secret).

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I re-reviewed 425 threads with "spring rate" in the search and nothing in terms of actual data. Yes, the TRD is progressive by < 05 dates by some threads, and terms like "stiffer" and "softer" are used frequently, but nobody actually posts data.

If this is common info, tell me the initial and final rates of the front and rear suspensions of OEM models TRD, offroad or sport, and non-TRD.

so, either - it's been covered a hundred times and nobody can put it in a thread title

OR

its been covered a hundred times and nobody knows

please clarify what you mean

the last response suggests the latter. I'm a newbie to tacoma's but not to forums. The first post responder (hoerunner) suggests the rates are common knowledge but no threads at all come up with any discussion on actual spring rate data on 05+ tacoma's. Gotta love the newbie (hoehunner) that joined one month before me and then answers "covered a hundred times" and doesn't answer the question.

Thank you N9emz for the honest answer of "no definite ... answer"

Please point me in the direction of actual data if this is "common knowledge"

thanks and appreciated

·
truck ~n~ tow
10,917 Posts
I typed " 2005 coils"

found this...

Since we are in the prototyping stages of the 05/06 suspension development, we measured the factory coils at around 680 lb/in spring rate (+/-5%). We are running 650 lb/in coils with adjustable Walker Evans shocks, and it rides perfect on and off road, even with our front bumper & winch.

We still need to test the rear leaf spring rates, but we are waiting for the second set of prototypes to arrive.
There may be more... I didn't feel up to looking more... Have at it..

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
thank you

now that is an answer that is helpful.

I will try those search terms.

I come from a race car background, and spring rate is a common term for cars.

Any other search terms are gratefully received.

I don't want to waste anybody's time here.

pp

I typed " 2005 coils"

found this...

There may be more... I didn't feel up to looking more... Have at it..

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Gotta love the newbie (hoehunner) that joined one month before me and then answers "covered a hundred times" and doesn't answer the question
Yah I joined one month before you because I had no reason to post til I learned more about my truck by searching. But I have been on the site for over a year so im sorry for not having the right answer. So :flipoff3:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Yah I joined one month before you because I had no reason to post til I learned more about my truck by searching. But I have been on the site for over a year so im sorry for not having the right answer. So :flipoff3:
Then don't act like you know. I appreciate information, not someone acting like they know and criticizing someone for asking a question when the criticizing individual doesn't even know the answer themselves. You sir, look like a jackass. Thanks for posting though, everybody knows a bit more about you. Your 178 post-whore posts in 2 months must be filled with "value" information.

I searched, I didn't find, I asked. It's just plain funny when some dumbass criticizes and then doesn't even know himself. Welcome to my first ignore list.

I do truely appreciate and thank the useful posters on this site, like TacoDell and N9emz. Any help appreciated

pp

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Taco Dell

thanks for the search terms.

I particularly like hytenor's response in that post- "getting the OE spring rates will be next to impossible so good luck."

if any knowledge development has occured since hytenor's post in 2005 let me know, other than hoerunner's "obvious" response "its been covered a hundred times"

I'd like to know where I'm coming from (OEM) and where I'm going with aftermarket products.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Hey, Pony....

Don't worry about the little crap. Everyone I know who's built their late Taco has been through the same process and been frustrated. There's a lot of conflicting info out there and the stock spring rate thingie is pretty much still up in the air. One thing to remember about progressive rate springs....the rate varies throughout the compression cycle.

Dell gave you one of the specs from an authoritative source....I think it might have been from this thread:

Spring Rates

I've chosen to accept this as definitive info: Hytenor's Rate Info

My first go-to folks for this type of info are Hytenor, Valkyrie, Tderose, and The_Parts_Guy. There are many individuals on this site you can glean a wealth of info from, but I initially do an advanced search on the first four and broaden from there if I don't find the answers. Usually, if they don't have what I'm looking for I stumble across it in their threads.

Consider this. It's said there are up to eight or more spring configurations for the Taco and are identifiable only by VIN. Toyota USA is the authoritative source for the info and they supposedly aren't giving it out.

My suggestion is do exhaustive searches to determine your specific goal(s) and put the blinders on....go for it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts