TTORA Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone ever done it? Just thinking since my truck sits around 3 inches higher in the rear than the front this could possibly fix it, get rid of spring wrap and be better on the driveshaft. Guess the only downsides are I'd loose my shock mounts and ground clearance. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welding on new perches and shock mounts is about the only thing. I could leave the stock perches on and swap back to them if I ever wanted to. I think I've saw someone who used a u-bolt flip kit and still used their upper shock mounts. So they might still line up. I would like to have the plate that donahoe has on their 62" pack on their 7s race truck, guess I could work something out with them :D . Wonder if I could still use Dr's resivoir shock though? I think you would need to drop the perches below the axle for that.

·
Registered
912 Posts
Maybe the geometry is more friendly on your year tacoa but i'm trying the flip on my 05 and u need to move the front spring hanger cause when u flip the axle on top the driveshaft position changes and it will plunge in to the back of the transmission too much. Also the flip will lift rear axle at least 3" so you'll need to cycle the suspension for shock mounts so u don't bottom them out on full compression. Check out Total Chaos u-bolt spring mount relocation plates.
http://www.chaosfab.com/toyaccess_rearsus.html

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for finding the plates. Never gave a thought to them already being produced. It seems like it wouldnt since you can run a stock ds with 62's though. Starting to sound like a summer project to me instead of a weekend project.

·
Registered
912 Posts
Oh crap, those TC spring u-bolt relocation plates are for 2 1/2" wide springs, yours are probably 2 1/4" wide, whoops.

On the driveshaft thing, try measure the length from the front leaf pivot to the centering pin along the arch of the top leaf in stock location, then measure this imaginary arch length going to the bottom center of the axle with about a 1/2 inch space for spring plate and you'll see the lengths are different, at least on my truck they are.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yep they are 2.25". Thanks anyway. My measurements were 22.25 on top and 24 on bottom. Did yours follow the same pattern?

·
Registered
912 Posts
yeah I had about a 1 1/2 to 2 inch difference too, so to just move the axle from spring over to spring under and not move the front hanger will push your driveshaft into the tranny more and will cause it to bottom out and bind. The hangers either need to be moved back or down a little to compensate for the change in geometry. For all this work u might as well run a 62" leaf pack, and get it set up for some nice travel. I just bought a brand new pack of a kid on race-dezert for $475 with bushings. I see these packs for sale all the time.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I could just shorten the drivshaft :) , just what ever is cheaper. I'd loose around 3 1/2 inches in the rear if I done it. Just an inch or so over what I wanted. I'd like to stick with the pack I have now since I paid more than a
62" pack would cost. I'll just see what it looks like this summer then I'll start. Thanks

1 - 10 of 10 Posts