TTORA Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone done this yet? Someone asked me about it tonight, which then sparked some curiousity as to what it actually would look like. Basically, Im just thinkin of the same type of square tubing which is used for rock sliders. Any pics, any ideas?

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
Anyone done this yet? Someone asked me about it tonight, which then sparked some curiousity as to what it actually would look like. Basically, Im just thinkin of the same type of square tubing which is used for rock sliders. Any pics, any ideas?
I'm not any expert on cages, rollbars, etc.. BUT...and I'm trying to ease into the answer.....DO NOT USE SQUARE TUBING FOR ROLL-OVER PROTECTION. I'll let a few of the experts pipe in with the fine details, but square tubing does not have any where near the strength of DOM round tubing, and square tubing will bend or FAIL if impacted...just about anywhere... a rollover is a much more violent event than a rock hitting a slider... the forces are MUCH greater, so the design and material of a roll structure must have that criteria FIRST...appearance LAST...

If you're thinking about a bed bar or headache rack, something designed to carry weight or mount lights or other accessories, that's a different deal, go ahead and square tube away.... just don't expect it to protect you in a roll.

Good Luck, have fun!

-Mark

·
Premium Member
1,805 Posts
FrankenTaco has a square tube exo.

·
NorCal Chapter Pres
12,213 Posts
Seems like it would be a pain cutting and welding every bend, rather than bending it...

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
If you're talking about roll protection in the rocks I don't see what the big deal is if its a cost/no bender kind of thing. I'll be using pipe for whatever protection stuff I build. If you were talking speed (which I am assuming you aren't for an exo) then I would definately go DOM. To me its the difference in keeping your cab reasonably intact after a flop and getting shitty at 70 or 80 mph.

As far as looks.. why would you build an exo if you're concerned about looks?

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
You can bend square tube you just need the right dies. JD2 offers die sets that bend square tube. I personally would not use it, but it would probably work. I would only build an internal cage for a tacoma type of vehicle with 1.5 x 1.20 wall DOM myself anything else is overkill.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
FrankenTaco has a square tube exo.
I looked through the members list and didnt see any members by the name of FRANKENTACO... you got a picture of this guys truck?

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
When I was thinking of a roll bar using square tube, I was thinking in a larger scale of tubing. That looks to be 2x2 steel, while I was thinking more along the 3x5 or 4x6.. resembling a similar design as a standard roll bar for the truck bed. Oh well, this was just a thought which arose after another Tacoma enthusiast asked about whether to buy a roll bar, or to have one made.

·
Registered
6,347 Posts
You can bend square tube you just need the right dies. JD2 offers die sets that bend square tube. I personally would not use it, but it would probably work. I would only build an internal cage for a tacoma type of vehicle with 1.5 x 1.20 wall DOM myself anything else is overkill.

1.20 WALL? holy shiat!

;) .120 wall

·
Registered
6,347 Posts
When I was thinking of a roll bar using square tube, I was thinking in a larger scale of tubing. That looks to be 2x2 steel, while I was thinking more along the 3x5 or 4x6.. resembling a similar design as a standard roll bar for the truck bed. Oh well, this was just a thought which arose after another Tacoma enthusiast asked about whether to buy a roll bar, or to have one made.
That stuff is going to weigh a ton, and IMO look like crap. Go with round tube.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That stuff is going to weigh a ton, and IMO look like crap. Go with round tube.
Im not doing the roll bar. It was an idea for someone else. But I'll pass that along to him.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts