TTORA Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've read other posts about people's squeaky rear ends, and I think my issue is different. It squeaks when I accelerate in 1st, 2nd, or 3rd gear and a tiny bit in 4th gear. It also makes the same squeaky noise when I decelerate in reverse, either just by letting go of the gas or by braking. I can't tell exactly where the squeak is coming from but it is quite loud and it almost sounds like a squeaky belt, but I'm pretty confident its not a belt because it sounds like it is coming from around the truck bed area, possibly between the bed and the cab, or maybe the rear.

It doesn't squeak when I brake (unless in reverse), it doesn't squeak when I hit the gas in neutral, and the other weird thing is it only squeaks for about 2-4 seconds, after that time,the squeak quiets down and goes away, if I stop pressing the gas and then press it again it will squeak, but as I do this and successively go faster and faster the squeak gets quieter (possibly because there is more road and engine noise).

I will continue to try to pin point exactly where its coming from, but it is difficult. Does anyone else have this issue?

My taco is 2003 manual v6 trd xtra cab.

I am not worried that this is a serious issue because the truck is running amazingly, but I am scheduled to tow a boat tomorrow, so please let me know if this is a bad idea until I have this problem figured out.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
5,088 Posts
Could be body mount bushings, or leafs spring bushings. Tighten both as well as the Ubolts since you will be towing, see if that cures the issue. If you grab the bed and rock the truck back and forth does it squeak? How about jumping on the bumper?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Rocking the truck back and forth in neutral I couldn't produce a squeak. With the e-brake on and it in neutral I could get a really quiet squeak when I rocked it, same with jumping on the bumper. This squeak was significantly quieter than the one when I'm accelerating.

I located the quiet squeak from when I was rocking it, when I was under it when I pulled or pushed on the frame I heard a squeak coming from the leaf spring, about 3 inches from the bushing. I tried to tighten the ubolts but they were already as tight as I could get them, plus the ubolts and nuts were fairly rusted so I didn't want to break them free. Same with the leaf spring bushings, but not as bad, I couldn't tighten them.

I'm not sure where the body mount bushings are, but they are probably in the same state, everything seemed really solid when I was under the truck.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Is the squeek related to whether your clutch is in or out? Related to RPM's?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Is the squeek related to whether your clutch is in or out? Related to RPM's?
When going forward, yes, the clutch has to be out, or at least on its way out as I have to be accelerating.

When going in reverse I believe I could build up reverse speed, press the clutch in and hit the brakes and it would squeak. Although I know for a fact that after building up enough reverse speed just releasing the gas fully caused the squeak.

Strangely enough, after towing about 3000lbs for 2 hours the squeak is gone. I would still like to know your guys theories for if/when it returns.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
5,088 Posts
Its those little plastic pads between the leafs on the ends. If one is missing and the metal is rubbing together, it could create a squeak. Also, depending on whick one is bad or missing (front one or rear one) would cause a squeak either during acceleration, or deceleration.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.