TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 1999 prerunner 2.7L single cab seems to have a squeaking noise in the under side of the truck somewhere behind the cab. I've had it looked at and listened to at the Yota dealership and friends but noone seems to know what it is. It only happens when you let off of the gas. Anyone know what it could be?

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Squeaking noise (no one knows!)

(THIS IS ALOST POSTED IN PRERUNNER SECTION) My 1999 prerruner 2.7L single cab seems to have a squeaking noise on the under side of the truck coming from behind the cab somewhere. Ive had it looked at and listened to by the people at the Yota dealership and by friends. No one knows what it is. It only squeaks when you let off of the gas. Anyone else have this problem or know what it could be?

·
Registered
4,793 Posts
5sp? how many miles?

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Automatic, 75,916

·
Registered
10 Posts
Lube all the zerk fittings on the driveshaft- especially the middle one in the double-cardan joint (if yours has one) and the slip yoke. I've fixed a few at the dealership where I work by simply lubing the zerks.

Ryan

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
See thats what i thought! i told my dad think its the drive shaft? he said no nick why would it be the drive shaft...lol

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
forgot to include its an automatic with 75,816 miles

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Any other ideas besides it being the drive shaft?

·
Registered
796 Posts
I had a squeak that baffled me for the longest time (like most everyone). I was convinsed it was under the cab. Can't remember the particulars of how I figured it out (mabey slammed the D-door w the hood up and no squeak), but ended up spraying some silicon on the hood latch and no more squeak. Clearly this is unlikely to be your issue, just wanting to point out that it may be comming from a entirely different area. Good luck.

·
Registered
908 Posts
If you rock the truck do you hear the noise?

does it happen at all speeds?

i say It's the leafs when the dif untwists mine does it on deacceleration until I jack up the rear and soak the leafs with wd40 try some strategic shot's and eliminate
as a possibility

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
it does it at all speeds yea and yea i have noticed a sqeuking sound when i get in and out of the truck but i figured it was just springs or something

·
Premium Member
5,583 Posts
just spray the shit outta everything under there with lube. most of the squeaks I hvae heard have been in the leafs. you could always climb under it and hold onto the spare tire while someone drives so you can hear where it comes from

·
Registered
796 Posts
NcYota99 said:
it does it at all speeds yea and yea i have noticed a sqeuking sound when i get in and out of the truck but i figured it was just springs or something
In your first post you said it only squeaks when you let off the gas or(something like that).

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
yea it squeaks at all speeds when i let off the gas no matter how slow or fast im going

·
Administrator
95.5 Tacoma
18,432 Posts
Please don't create multiple threads for the same topic. It makes it more difficult to track information and responses. I've merged both of your threads into this one.

·
Premium Member
5,583 Posts
push the gas with the truck in neutral, does it do it then?

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
If it's the leaves you can get a needle adaptor for your grease gun to inject the grease between the springs. I only had to do it once in 40K miles. No more squeeks.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
No it dosnt do it while its in neutral just while im driving

·
Registered
47 Posts
If it only does it when you let off the gas while you're driving, then you definitely need to lube up the zerk fittings on your driveshaft like everyone else has stated. I had this same problem a few months ago and went everywhere to try and got the problem diagnosed, every place I went to could not replicate the noise. I got fed up and bought a grease gun at Autozone, lubed up all the zerk fittings, low and behold my noise went away.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts