TTORA Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So say a have a squeak at low speeds either reverse or forward and goes away after the car speeds up... could I assume that is in the drive shaft? It isnt a constant squeak and definately sounds like its under me.. It starts out slow and then speeds up until its gone... about the same tempo as the standard bomb beeping in movies.. It hasnt affected performance but is annoying.. Any guiding words? could it be the U-Joint? Some bearing? I also thouroughly greased all points...

·
Registered
339 Posts
Originally posted by Aleco911
It isnt a constant squeak and definately sounds like its under me.. It starts out slow and then speeds up until its gone...
D-shaft.... good choice of words.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Aleco911 said:
So say a have a squeak at low speeds either reverse or forward and goes away after the car speeds up... could I assume that is in the drive shaft? It isnt a constant squeak and definately sounds like its under me.. It starts out slow and then speeds up until its gone... about the same tempo as the standard bomb beeping in movies.. It hasnt affected performance but is annoying.. Any guiding words? could it be the U-Joint? Some bearing? I also thouroughly greased all points...

I'm gonna thow a point in favor of a U-Joint.... that's how I observed some worn ones in the past....

·
Big tars, little bed.
8,407 Posts
Grease your fittings. Do that often?

Im gonna bet that its the center carrier bearing though. Aka center support bearing. Whatever. That is assuming thats an xcab in your avatar.

·
Administrator
18,217 Posts
I'm gonna guess a bearing before a u-joint. I've almost never heard of u-joints making noise. They just vibrate when they go bad. Center support bushing or maybe a pinion bearing. Rear wheel bearings have also been known to make a similar sound. It would help if you could narrow down where the sound is coming from ("under the truck" isn't really narrowing it down).

·
Registered
236 Posts
I actually had a u joint give me a quite similar squeek like that earlier this summer. It confused the hell out of me but I had the luxury of throwing it up on a lift and rotating the drive shaft and being able to pinpoint the noise. I would throw the truck up on jackstands throw it in neutral and do the same to see if u can hear it and try and see where its coming from.

·
Registered
64 Posts
ShowStop said:
I'm gonna guess a bearing before a u-joint. I've almost never heard of u-joints making noise. They just vibrate when they go bad. Center support bushing or maybe a pinion bearing. Rear wheel bearings have also been known to make a similar sound. It would help if you could narrow down where the sound is coming from ("under the truck" isn't really narrowing it down).
I've had u-joints go bad on 2 diff. trucks and they both made the sqeeking noise at low speeds-I replaced them and the noise went away-my .02

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
sweet, ill use that jack stand trick and check it out. thanks guys.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
About this Discussion
7 Replies
7 Participants
Aleco911
TTORA Forum
TTORA forum is the best Toyota off-road club around. We are nation wide with chapters in most states. Come in and discuss Tacoma, 4Runner, Highlander, & TRD models.
Full Forum Listing