TTORA Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so i just lubed the crap out of my upper arms, set the truck back down on the ground and SQUEEEEEEAK! :banghead: its coming from the lower control arm bushings.

any of you guys that have had to replace your lower arms(peekay, donahoe guys) have any tips for me before i dig into it? does the rack have to be removed? anything else that might make it easier? :confused:

ive got a spare set of lower arms that im just going to swap in so i dont have to mess with getting bushings pressed in etc

·
Registered
18 Posts
BUshing Replacement

Hello Sorry to hear you have squeaky bushings. I am the Toyota engineer over the line that makes these lower arms. I have many bushings here at my desk. If you want I can send you a set, but like you stated , it's a hard press to fit. We use hyd. presses to assemble the bushings here. Just let me know.
Doc

·
Registered
5,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
DocTaco said:
Hello Sorry to hear you have squeaky bushings. I am the Toyota engineer over the line that makes these lower arms. I have many bushings here at my desk. If you want I can send you a set, but like you stated , it's a hard press to fit. We use hyd. presses to assemble the bushings here. Just let me know.
Doc
thank you very much for the offer. these arms have around 100k hard miles on them so im actually surprised they have lasted this long. ive had to have them welded up because the shock mount was partially cracking off. i drive my truck prety damn hard, just ask around here lol

i have a spare set of arms so im just going to swap them out and not mess with the bushings

·
Registered
5,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
bump so this thread doesnt get burried

·
Registered
925 Posts
drabnor said:
bump so this thread doesnt get burried
wait, you mean you want to lube the stock bushings? that might be a bit hard since there is absolutely no space between the bushing and the arm to lube. the only other place i can see you lubing on the stock arm would be between the metal sleeve and cam bolt but i dont know if that would solve your problems.

i'd say just get a set of poly's from suspension.com and swap them in. it's a bitch to swap the arms off bc the rack has to be competely taken off. with a new bushing, you'll never have to worry about them wearing out.

·
Registered
5,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
peekay331 said:
wait, you mean you want to lube the stock bushings? that might be a bit hard since there is absolutely no space between the bushing and the arm to lube. the only other place i can see you lubing on the stock arm would be between the metal sleeve and cam bolt but i dont know if that would solve your problems.

i'd say just get a set of poly's from suspension.com and swap them in. it's a bitch to swap the arms off bc the rack has to be competely taken off. with a new bushing, you'll never have to worry about them wearing out.
no no no, i absolutly do not want to lube the lowers. i had just gotten done lubing my uppers when i noticed the lowers were making all the racket and not the uppers.

i have a spare complete pair of lower control arms with the lower bj and bushings, i will be removing the arms that are on the truck now and replacing them with these. i will not be touching the bushings whatsoever

i was just looking for ppl with experiense(sp?) in removing the arms.

so the rack has to come completly off the truck? i cant just loosen the mounting bolts? anything else that i should know about before i start whenching?

thanks Jerry

·
Registered
925 Posts
drabnor said:
no no no, i absolutly do not want to lube the lowers. i had just gotten done lubing my uppers when i noticed the lowers were making all the racket and not the uppers.

i have a spare complete pair of lower control arms with the lower bj and bushings, i will be removing the arms that are on the truck now and replacing them with these. i will not be touching the bushings whatsoever

i was just looking for ppl with experiense(sp?) in removing the arms.

so the rack has to come completly off the truck? i cant just loosen the mounting bolts? anything else that i should know about before i start whenching?

thanks Jerry
oh, then it's easy. just remove the rack and youre good to go. i cant think of anything else you might need.

·
Registered
5,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
god damn i dont want to do that again anytime soon

what a pita!
we bent up 3 different pickle forks trying to get the outer tres out of the lower bj :eek:

the new lower arms cured the squeak coming from the old bushings. but now, i have a uniball on its way out thats making a crapload of racket :mad:

still cant align the truck though, camber still wont come in :rolleyes:

·
Registered
925 Posts
drabnor said:

what a pita!
we bent up 3 different pickle forks trying to get the outer tres out of the lower bj :eek:

the new lower arms cured the squeak coming from the old bushings. but now, i have a uniball on its way out thats making a crapload of racket :mad:

i just threaded the nut to protect the thread and pounded on it a few times with a large hammer. pickle forks suck in my opinion. they have a curious habit of eating tie rod boots!

i think your camber problem prob has something to do with your frame being tweaked in the front. mine is a caster problem, and for the life of me, i cannot figure out what is wrong.

·
Registered
5,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
peekay331 said:
i just threaded the nut to protect the thread and pounded on it a few times with a large hammer. pickle forks suck in my opinion. they have a curious habit of eating tie rod boots!

i think your camber problem prob has something to do with your frame being tweaked in the front. mine is a caster problem, and for the life of me, i cannot figure out what is wrong.
i was re-using the tres so i didnt want to mess the threads/nuts up. i didnt care about the boots cuz i had spares. ;)

im sure the frame is the reason for mine, possibly yours too. i know corey's truck 's camber is way worse than mine. its these damn sheetmetal frames :mad:

time for a straightening and a cage :welder: :saw: :welder:

·
Registered
275 Posts

what a pita!

yeah, i know i'm bringin this post back from the dead. I know it's been a really long time since you did this.
Well I am gettin the exact same problem as you. I greased my uppers and removed my spindle from my lower arm then jacked up the lower to find out that it is my bushings as well.
so anyways, i am about to tackle this task myself and just wanna know what you recommend. by reading, i see that i am going to have to remove my steering column completely.
also, it was recommended to get the polyurethane bushings. is that what you did? if i do decide to do it...is this the part# i need? 8.3115 from energy
i got '02 4wd.
any help/info is appreciated. thanks a lot drabnor.

·
Administrator
95.5 Tacoma
18,559 Posts
DO NOT USE polyurethane bushings for the lower control arms. They will squeak worse then ever before and will wear out much quicker. There are NO benefits to using poly bushings on the LCA.

·
Registered
275 Posts
thanks

DO NOT USE polyurethane bushings for the lower control arms. They will squeak worse then ever before and will wear out much quicker. There are NO benefits to using poly bushings on the LCA.
alright, awesome. thanks very much for that warning! i'll jus go ahead n get the stock replacements. wonder if doctaco is still around after these few years...

·
Registered
275 Posts
Doc
this is a longshot but just wondering if your still around? might you be able to send me a set of the stock lower arm bushing? driver & passenger sides?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts