TTORA Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I searched for this and only found posts refering to older models. I have an 05 Taco DC V6 w/ 6speed manual. I have 53,000 mostly highway miles. In the last 1,000 miles or so I have developed a squeal which I'm pretty sure is not the belts. It doesn't do it when it idles, but it gets progressively louder as the RPM's increase. And it's not always constant, it doesn't necessarily squeal when it's warm or cold. It's actually kind of random. I've read other posts and it sounds like it may be the idler pulley or something similar. Has anyone else with a late model had a similar experience? If so how'd you fix it?

·
Registered
892 Posts
It could be a variety of things....belts squeeling/slipping, bearings going bad, etc etc etc.

This is just basic questions I would try to answer myself if I were in the same situation:

Does it squeel when you first start the truck up and rev it up?

Does it get louder or softer as the truck warms up?

If you're 'at idle' - turn on your A/C - does it squeel or squeel more?

Check your belts - are they tight enough? Are your pulleys clean?
Are your belts in good condition? Check your pulleys and belts for wear and signs of slippage. Belts are more likely to slip at higher rpm's and not at idle pending how loose they are and their condition.

·
Registered
35 Posts
You're SURE its not coming from the belts or pulleys? One thing to try is this...

Put the tranny in N and take your foot off the clutch. Rev it up and see it if squeals.

Now leave it in N (or gear, it really doesn't matter) and push the clutch in and rev it.

If it squeals in only one of these situations, thats a bad sign. I haven't heard it but I'd strongly suggest that its the pulleys, especially if clutch position has no effect on the noise.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What would be the difference whether the clutch is in or not? The clutch doesn't have an effect on the pulleys or belts. Or does it and I'm just retarded?

·
Registered
232 Posts
Its the blinker fluid in your lights....time to top it up

·
Registered
278 Posts
Try this

My Idler pulley did the same shit at start up, after some wheeling. Mud got in to the bearing, Not a biggie. fixed it with some lithium grease. Just don't be a dumb ass and start spraying lithium every wear. A little goes a LOOOooong way. Most importantly don't get it on the belt or the out side of the pulley. If you do use some brake cleaner on the out side of the pulley only. Easy way to do a poor mans check is. Take off your belt and turn each pulley ,except the cranck pulley:rolleyes: . Feel for binding or a gritty sound when you turn it. Then use your can straw and try giving it a LITTLE squirt and I do mean little, to the bearing front and if you can the back. Wipe any stay drips right away. Best to do it with a rag in hand just incase. All so look for any loose or hanging shit like wires or even vegetation that could be either hanging or wraped around the back side of a pulley.:welder: Worth a shot

G

·
My Idler pulley did the same shit at start up, after some wheeling. Mud got in to the bearing, Not a biggie. fixed it with some lithium grease. Just don't be a dumb ass and start spraying lithium every wear. A little goes a LOOOooong way. Most importantly don't get it on the belt or the out side of the pulley. If you do use some brake cleaner on the out side of the pulley only. Easy way to do a poor mans check is. Take off your belt and turn each pulley ,except the cranck pulley:rolleyes: . Feel for binding or a gritty sound when you turn it. Then use your can straw and try giving it a LITTLE squirt and I do mean little, to the bearing front and if you can the back. Wipe any stay drips right away. Best to do it with a rag in hand just incase. All so look for any loose or hanging shit like wires or even vegetation that could be either hanging or wraped around the back side of a pulley.:welder: Worth a shot
X2

I got into a lot of dust and mud wheeling, and had a hell of a squeal from the pulleys. I cleaned everything under the hood thoroughly at the carwash... Still squealing. I used WD-40, not lithium grease, and it did the job cleaning out the dust and grit. No more squealing.

I also got a rock stuck between the dust shield and the disk brake rotor. That squealed real bad. Just pulled back the dust shield, pulled out the rock.

·
Registered
156 Posts
my pullies are screaming for a second time - i sprayed them down with a power sprayer like crazy and got nothing. did it with it running and not running, even tried wd-40. im going to find some lithium grease and give it a go. the dealer has already changed them once - and the crazy thing is i really didnt even go mudding. just some light trailing.

·
Registered
892 Posts
my pullies are screaming for a second time - i sprayed them down with a power sprayer like crazy and got nothing. did it with it running and not running, even tried wd-40. im going to find some lithium grease and give it a go. the dealer has already changed them once - and the crazy thing is i really didnt even go mudding. just some light trailing.
You're still under warrantee right? Take it back to the dealer again and again and again if you have to. Document everytime you go back and each and everytime the same problem props up. Get mean and force them to get their head outta their butts and fix your problem.

I haven't looked under my hood enough to know how things are setup - but there are probably multiple pulleys and you need to find out 'which' one it is. There's probably an A/C idler pulley, Alternator pulley, power steering pump pulley, and gawd knows what else...they all have bearings which could squeek/squeel. If that's your problem (bearings).

Spraying them down won't do much unless you're spraying in the right places. Since I don't know what you've sprayed..... you DO NOT want to get oil or oil /grease on the belts or the sheaves the belt rides on. If you're spraying anything - you should only be spraying the 'bearings'. And even so - the spray won't work if its not penetrating past the bearing seals.

If you must work on this stuff yourself (versus taking it to the dealer) - start taking belts off and rotating the pulleys by hand and *feel* the bearings for wear and rough spots.

·
Registered
35 Posts
What would be the difference whether the clutch is in or not? The clutch doesn't have an effect on the pulleys or belts. Or does it and I'm just retarded?
Sorry if I was unclear. You said you were pretty sure it wasn't the belts. Sometimes transmissions can developed a nasty RPM-Dependent squeal just before they die. But that won't happen with the clutch depresssed.

If it only squeels when your foot is ON the clutch, it sounds a lot like a throw-out bearing.

Like I said, I think its the belt system but you said you didn't think so.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Sorry if I was unclear. You said you were pretty sure it wasn't the belts. Sometimes transmissions can developed a nasty RPM-Dependent squeal just before they die. But that won't happen with the clutch depresssed.

If it only squeels when your foot is ON the clutch, it sounds a lot like a throw-out bearing.

Like I said, I think its the belt system but you said you didn't think so.
Gotcha. I'm just pretty sure it's not the belt itself. I'm hoping and pretty sure it is one of the pulleys. Thanks for all the comments. I've done my fair share of wrenching on motorcycles, but I'm not a professed gearhead when it comes to cars and trucks. Thanks.

·
Registered
156 Posts
oh its all 3 of the ilder pullies, like i said this is the second time. its not the dealers fault really, the bearings arent sealed well enough. it seems that any degree of dust and they are done, and almost sounds just like a s/c whine under the hood.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts